inTank Media Baskets

Monks 20g Sad Little Macro Tank

drunkenmonk21

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to see it go buddy. But hey, you give some you take som.e Now you've got a sweet viv with some sweet frogs on the way! I gotta get you a tracking # for those btw

• 1 year later...
drunkenmonk21

Planning on Starting up a tank soon, been way to long since I have had a salt tank and im getting the urge lol, not sure what im going to do with it yet. Thinking either sps or macro's.

I have a 40b with one cracked pannel, was thinking of cutting it down and making a 18x16x16h with it, or I have a couple 20h i could plumb together. Also throwing around the idea of getting some glass cut and making a shallow 20x20x12h or 24x24x12h

drunkenmonk21

Petco has that $1 a gallon sale going on. You could snag a 20g long.

I wonder if i could take off the top brace on a 20 long?

I'm thinking I would like to go rimless

Friend of mine may be moving away, if he does I am inheriting a 150g

I wonder if i could take off the top brace on a 20 long?

I'm thinking I would like to go rimless

its only 12" tall, so the water pressure would be minimal. You could always go with a Mr. Aqua tank.

drunkenmonk21

If I take the rim off the top and bottom of the tank, what would I need to put under it so the glass doesn't break?

If I take the rim off the top and bottom of the tank, what would I need to put under it so the glass doesn't break?

Taking it off the top likely wouldn't be an issue... very low water pressure there. Taking it off the bottom is risky as you lose all structural support.

drunkenmonk21

What I mean is, I have some 1/4" sheets of glass, if i make a tank thats 24x18x12h rimless, would I just set the bottom on the stand or should I make the stand so that its open under the stand except for the outer 3/4 of the bottom of the tank, or put some sort of mat under it>?

Apologies - I completely misunderstood. The stand should be solid under the tank with a thick foam mat (I use some similar to a yoga mat).

drunkenmonk21
Apologies - I completely misunderstood. The stand should be solid under the tank with a thick foam mat (I use some similar to a yoga mat).

Not your fault I worded it wrong lol. Thanks man

drunkenmonk21

So I think I'm going to go with 24Lx18wx12h and use a 20h as a sump, with a display Macro refugium. Plan on starting on it next week. I cant wait I'm already getting excited about it lol. Cant wait to have a salt tank up and running again.

where ya at in IL Monk?

your old tank was awesome, never seen it before.. looking forward to seeing what you do with the new one :)

drunkenmonk21

Is it going to have lovely macros?

Either macros or SPS with a pair of naked clowns as its inhabitants. If no Macros in the display im going to make a display refugium full of macros! :)

where ya at in IL Monk?

your old tank was awesome, never seen it before.. looking forward to seeing what you do with the new one :)

Thanks GHill, Im in Springfield where the Salt stores are far and few between lol.

Either macros or SPS with a pair of naked clowns as its inhabitants. If no Macros in the display im going to make a display refugium full of macros! :)

Thanks GHill, Im in Springfield where the Salt stores are far and few between lol.

well I'm not far from ya. I'm in Quincy. Aquarium obsession in Peoria is nice, and there are a ton in st Louis. Springfield seems to have quite a few hobbyists, I don't understand why there aren't any decent fish stores in Springfield.
drunkenmonk21

well I'm not far from ya. I'm in Quincy. Aquarium obsession in Peoria is nice, and there are a ton in st Louis. Springfield seems to have quite a few hobbyists, I don't understand why there aren't any decent fish stores in Springfield

I don't understand it either, I hate driving to buy my saltwater livestock. I'm looking to buy a pair these once its up! C-Naked-500x500.jpg

drunkenmonk21

Seems more than likely I'll be getting a 150g with 300# rock 200# sand fish inverts and equipment. Now to see how I can fit all this into 3 20g's and a 10g lol.

drunkenmonk21

Started taking the cracked 40b apart, got the rims off but had trouble getting the panels apart, cracked the front panel so I may now be looking at a 22"x18"x12 or 14t. :(

drunkenmonk21

Picking up a 150g, 55g, 300# of live rock, 200# of sand, fish, inverts all on Sunday. Im going to break them down into a few smaller tanks. Hope the move all goes well, its a 2 hour drive to get it all home. Fingers crossed

drunkenmonk21

Cleaning up all my equipment, and tanks, getting ready to set up a few systems tomorrow. I cant believe how much aquarium crap I have lol. I'm getting some of my old macros back also. Going to set up a 55g, 20g, and 10g. I hope I can fit all that rock in there but I'm doubting it. Might have to keep some in a tote till I can trade it off or find a place for it. Cant wait :)

Archived