Monks 20g Sad Little Macro Tank

drunkenmonk21

drunkenmonk21
Cymopolia Barbata

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0981-1.jpg

Eucheuma Spinosum

IMG_0949.jpg

Awesome macros buddy. Is that caulerpa considered a nuisance algae? Those runners look like they can get deep into rockwork

Thanks, I hope I can get those 2 to grow under the leds without a problem. I put alot of both in my sunlit 10g just in case. :D

That Caulerpa has been growing on the same rock since I bought the rock. It seems to be controlling itself lol. It hasent spread to any other part of my tnak in 7 months. Its very small. Others have said that it is very invasive in there tanks but I dont see that in mine.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
drunkenmonk21
Ooooooh that yellow Eucheuma! If it stays yellow let me know.

As of right now, the parts that didnt melt away are taking on a little more orange tint to them. It is being lit by sunlight through a window in my 10g. Had to take it outa the 40b because it was clouding my water pretty good.

Ill keep it updated. Once it is stable Ill start taking pieces and trying to acclimate them to the LEDs.

Forgot to add a FTS

FullTankShot3-21-12.jpg

Here is a full Macro list, also located on first post.

Caulerpa Racemosa (Grape)

Caulerpa Peltata (Suction Cup)

Caulerpa Sertulariodes (Feather)

Caulerpa Taxifolia (Fern)

Caulerpa Serrulata

Caulerpa Virticilata

Codium Sp.

Cymopolia Barbata

Cheato

Dictoya Sp

Padina Sp (Scroll)

Sargassum Hystrix

Sargassum Platycarpum

Botryocladia Sp. (Red Grape)

Gelidium Sp.

Gracilaria Parvisipora

Gracilaria Tikvahiae

Gracilaria Hayi

Halymenia Elongata

Blue Ochtodes

Eucheuma Spinosum

Titanophora Sp (Red Titan)

Scinia Sp.

Fuchea Sp.

Others that I have no ID

Looking great as usual, Josh! How is the Eucheuma doing? I've had moderate success with mine under strong actinic lighting. I can get it back to near yellow, but I think it still needs more UV to get it like in nature.

As of right now, the parts that didnt melt away are taking on a little more orange tint to them. It is being lit by sunlight through a window in my 10g. Had to take it outa the 40b because it was clouding my water pretty good.

Ill keep it updated. Once it is stable Ill start taking pieces and trying to acclimate them to the LEDs.

Nope, LED's will make it red

drunkenmonk21
Looking great as usual, Josh! How is the Eucheuma doing? I've had moderate success with mine under strong actinic lighting. I can get it back to near yellow, but I think it still needs more UV to get it like in nature.

Hmm I may have to order some UV leds and some true violet leds and try this out.

Nope, LED's will make it red

:( We shall see :P

Tank looks fantastic! oh how I miss my macros -_-

Thanks, What happen to your tank>? :huh:

I sold all my macros except a select few and turned the tank back into a mixed reef :)

Maybe someday I will get the urge again to do a full blown macro reef :happy:

• 3 weeks later...
drunkenmonk21
Lets see an updated FTS of those new gorgs :D

Was acturally uploading photos when I read this lol.

The gorgs are still kinda faded from shipping but here are some pics!

FTS

IMG_1135.jpg

Now some random pics I dont feel like labeling :P

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

Picture overload O_O

so nice.

okay, I'm having the hardest time keeping green macros alive (except my abundant halimeda hitchhikers and green gracilaria. Ulva, codium, etc melt. even my super special caulerpa HH is melting. What am I doing wrong, is it the crabs? My lights are two 55w T5s and 1 panorama PRO.

so nice.

okay, I'm having the hardest time keeping green macros alive (except my abundant halimeda hitchhikers and green gracilaria. Ulva, codium, etc melt. even my super special caulerpa HH is melting. What am I doing wrong, is it the crabs? My lights are two 55w T5s and 1 panorama PRO.

How are your red algae doing? Do you dose iron? What is your current magnesium level? I've found that low magnesium levels directly affect the health of the plants (both red and green). Are your green algaes being shaded by other plants (Ulva is a light and flow monster, so the more the better for it, but my codium thrives being heavily shaded). What is your nitrate level at? It is possible that your algae are being out competed for nutrients (most likely if your caulerpa is fading away). Do you use chaetomorpha in your system?

How are your red algae doing? Do you dose iron? What is your current magnesium level? I've found that low magnesium levels directly affect the health of the plants (both red and green). Are your green algaes being shaded by other plants (Ulva is a light and flow monster, so the more the better for it, but my codium thrives being heavily shaded). What is your nitrate level at? It is possible that your algae are being out competed for nutrients (most likely if your caulerpa is fading away). Do you use chaetomorpha in your system?

The reds are great.

I do not dose iron.

Don't have a mag test kit but will test at a friends on Sunday and report back.

Ulva was shaded so I moved it to full light now.

Nitrate is 0.

Yes I do have Chaeto, it doesn't grow too fast and is a dense thick ball that doesn't die.

drunkenmonk21
The reds are great.

I do not dose iron.

Nitrate is 0.

Yes I do have Chaeto, it doesn't grow too fast and is a dense thick ball that doesn't die.

Sounds like your using up all your nitrates to me

The reds are great.

I do not dose iron.

Nitrate is 0.

I agree with Josh - it sounds like you are probably Nitrate limited at this point.

If, however, your greens are pale, it could be a sign of iron deficiency. Iron test kits are pretty cheap (I use the one from Nutrifin), and the Kent Iron and Manganese works very well. Reds aren't affected by low iron levels nearly as much as greens are.

Low magnesium (in the lower 1200s) will affect all algae species, causing them to turn pale and die off.

Personally, I would get rid of the Chaetomorpha, as it will out compete everything for nutrients but equivalent size clumps of Caulerpa.

drunkenmonk21
the colors of you algeas and coral really look good in this pic

Thanks Squared, how are your mollies doing?

Well I have begun to sell off my corals and fish in this tank :( My GF wants sea horses so... I bought a 46 bow front. I will be keeping the some corals like the mushrooms, and rics, and gorgs. I think the Sea horse tank will be a good fit for my taste. I love macro algae and I can let it grow wild in a sea horse tank without the fear of it covering the corals like monti caps and some others.

Ill be starting a new thread to go along with the build. Mostly just going to transfer over some rock and sand. Shouldnt have much of a cycle at all.

I have almost all the fish and corals sold - And I plan to start the transfer this week sometime.

More to come when I get ready to start in on the task :)

I agree with Josh - it sounds like you are probably Nitrate limited at this point.

If, however, your greens are pale, it could be a sign of iron deficiency. Iron test kits are pretty cheap (I use the one from Nutrifin), and the Kent Iron and Manganese works very well. Reds aren't affected by low iron levels nearly as much as greens are.

Low magnesium (in the lower 1200s) will affect all algae species, causing them to turn pale and die off.

Personally, I would get rid of the Chaetomorpha, as it will out compete everything for nutrients but equivalent size clumps of Caulerpa.

:huh: who would have thought I needed nitrates.

I have 1+ppm phos I just discovered.

Mag is 1275

:huh: who would have thought I needed nitrates.

I have 1+ppm phos I just discovered.

Mag is 1275

Your magnesium is a bit on the low side.. push it to about 1320 and the plants will respond better.

drunkenmonk21

Pic of the new 46 bow front. Most of the fish have been sold. Just have the Clown and Royal gramma which I put in a 20g tank to be their new home. Still have some coral left, I guess its going to go in the 20 with them and it will be my new reef :)

Shouldnt be hard to keep my tank at 74 since I keep my house at that. Ill prob add a small fan aimed at the surface of the water to help with evap cooling.

the Lights, heater and fan will be hooked up to an RKL for ease of controll. Soon as I get the last of the Monti caps out of the tank Ill be slowly taking it down from 80 degrees to 74.

As you can see still have alot of rock left in the 46 after adding a bunch to the 20g and a 10g lol. Still going to remove some more rock, Thinking it might look good with less of the big rocks, and add some small hitching post rocks for the horses.

IMG_1203.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
drunkenmonk21

Got a couple new additions to the tank. Heres a couple pics. Ill be making a new thread for this tank very soon.

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

Am I in trouble? What is this cobwebby looking thingamabob? :(

It resides in my clump of (the good species of) red titan which has been growing very well so this thing has not troubled it.

IMG_20120605_161557.jpg

Also my blue ochtodes are beautiful and growing.

The red grape aren't growing so much but looks stunning.

Thank you again!

IMG_4528.JPG

Your little horses are adorable.

drunkenmonk21

Thanks Kat, that cobwebby looking thingamabob looks to me like a pink sponge of some sort.

• 1 month later...
drunkenmonk21

Sold off all the livestock and tore down the tank. Im going to be building an sps tank in a couple months.

I miss it already :(

Archived