Pod Your Reef

RWB's 180g fish box Update 12/29/13

redwhiteandblue

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
redwhiteandblue

got my order from pacific east aquaculture and i must say WOW. outstanding customer service, they called to schedule a delivery, and a follow up after delivery.. beautiful frags, an the elegance i got is absolutley beautiful. i hope i have better luck with this one. will post picks soon

• 3 months later...
redwhiteandblue

so its been a while....

what ive learned.....

- that even a mini maxi nem will eat a powder brown tang

-ywg spawn like crazy, but no way to get the babies

-lyretail anthias do not eat enough when mom house sits (1 of three perished)

-acans do not do well in my 180, so they have moved in the bar tank (thread coming soon)

-carpet anemones are still awesome even though they are lethal

- chalices are cool, but im not sure i have the patience for their slow growth rate.

- SPS seem to grow better than my lps

- ati sunpower fixtures WILL burn out corals, a very powerful light that i highly recommend.

- w/c are overrated. ive slowed them down to 15 gal/week to 15 gal/month with no ill effects or change for that matter

- im done with IO REEF CRYSTALS. out of three buckets of this stuff, each one is too inconsistant. need a new salt to try, any suggestions?

-elegance corals are hands down the best coral if u get a good one. my aussie pink tip has been thriving since i got it in may/june

- water evaporation has become a horrible day to day task (2-2.5 gal/day) and im too scared to set up an ato.

- my half azz refugium is dumb and pointless. will be deleting from the system and just filling the sump with rubble.

- mandarins are def easy to keep with a large enough tank. added mine early and stocked the tank with 2000 pods and the mandarin is fat and huge.

just a quick recap of my journey that started almost a yr ago. enjoy

• 2 months later...
redwhiteandblue

update: adding about 100 lbs of more liverock ive been cooking for a while now. added about 20% today and will be adding more in a couple weeks. stay tuned for a new FTS. its been a few months got alotta new stuffs in the tank.

Does the Carpet and Maxi Mini's move around on you? It would be cool to have a maxi but I've got to much sps and would not want to risk one moving around and killing my SPS.

redwhiteandblue
Does the Carpet and Maxi Mini's move around on you? It would be cool to have a maxi but I've got to much sps and would not want to risk one moving around and killing my SPS.

my carpet does move around a little bit from time to time, but i think its from the engineer goby, yellow watchman, and pistol shrimp that reside under the rocks where the anemone plants it foot.

as far as maxi mini's....once mine attached themselves they have not moved. i place them in a container larger rubble until they attach, then place them where I want. 2 of mine moved off the rubble to the rock next to them, but its not like they traveled more than an inch or 2.

i highly recommend the mini maxis. they are cheap and add some nice color. as long as you get a healthy one they are easy to keep alive. you can also frag them easily.

now having said all of that, they are hard to frag if they are on a big pourous rock, once you touch them, they suck themselves into a hole. lol i cant move 2 of mine even if i wanted to

• 1 month later...
redwhiteandblue

ive been in hibernation here of late. i will be updating this thread wit hsome fresh pics. its been a long time since i added pictures. the only thing major i have done recently is added some ai sol superblues. wow. will never go back to t5

redwhiteandblue

as soon as i buy some mp40's my build is done. (unless i go bare bottom)

things i have done/changed since last update:

- ive added over 110 lbs rock in the past few months.

- added ai sol super blues last week

- built an algae scrubber to assist in my nitrate reduction. things started getting "hairy" when i added all the rock over a couple months

- sold some frags

- sold my carpet anemone. im still regretting this one a bit.

- im done with lyretail anthias. two just died randomly (not starved) and the other was consumed by the carpet.

- going to add some wrasses sooner or later.

redwhiteandblue

Pics of your mandarin please

here ya go IMG_6996_zpsc10d899b.jpg

i dont see him enough to get a good pic. he is the bigger one. ive had him for over a year, hes about 3" the female is about half his size.

redwhiteandblue

He's awesome Imin love with this fish but tanks only 32 gallons so maybe next tank :(

if your tank has been up a while, i wouldnt totally rule it out. you could always restock the pods every other month or so, or teach it to eat mysis or brine....i dont buy into needing a HUGE tank for a mandarin. a 10 gal not so much, but a muture 30 wit hlots of porus rock, I would try it out. easier said than done for me though. the smallest ive kept one in was a 55

xXReefAwesomenessXx
if your tank has been up a while, i wouldnt totally rule it out. you could always restock the pods every other month or so, or teach it to eat mysis or brine....i dont buy into needing a HUGE tank for a mandarin. a 10 gal not so much, but a muture 30 wit hlots of porus rock, I would try it out. easier said than done for me though. the smallest ive kept one in was a 55

Maybe in the future thanks or should is say tanks;p

• 4 months later...
redwhiteandblue

Update:

my foxface randomly was found dead in the back of my tank at the end of june. Foxface II has been added.

Coral growth has doubled since swapping out t5 to led in jan.

delete algae scrubber, wasnt worth the trouble: result ratio.

Phosphate hovers around .05 with GFO and cheato prunned 2x/ month

ATO lined up for purchase.

waiting for a deal on 2 mp 40's.

and the best news.....

Starting the planning stages for a future tank. hopefully a 8 or 10' x2 x2 depending on location. I am going to re-use most of my equip but some livestock/ rock will be going up for sale

• 5 months later...

Archived