SaltCritters.com

RWB's 180g fish box Update 12/29/13

redwhiteandblue

redwhiteandblue
thats what i said till i took the plunge on a mp10. At first i was like "eh" but after a few days i noticed the corals really liking it. So the "eh" went to "f*ck yea". As a bonus i owned it for a year & sold it for $20 less than when i bought it.

well, now that i have my korallias, programmed in the apex, the constant clicking is annoying. i cannot get a good "wave pattern". i still cant justify the cost, but im getting closer and closer to wanting some mp 40's lol. the controllable pump sound like the way to go. look out wallet......

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
redwhiteandblue

update:

broke down bio-cube since its been neglected since the 180 has been up and going. so i have a bunch more zoanthids, another YWG/pistol pair (i know its risky, but so far they have settled on opposite ends of the tank).

also moved the royal gramma and firefish to the 180. they seem to be doing ok, the gramma is still the boss and the firefish is hangin out with everyone else like hes one of them.

the deal of the week was a beautiful powder blue tang on sale 50% off (overstock) shes about 5 inches, eating like a pig, and super bright coloration. normally i would wait a week or two and watch, but it was too good of a deal for this little beauty.

also, since the programmed waves on the apex, my corals have really seemed to like it. everything is opened more and adds a cool random flow to the tank......ohhh how i wish i could stumble across some mp40s for a good deal....

redwhiteandblue

one mini maxi ive never seen before and 1 8" green carpet for $40. awesome.

and i am aware of the carpets being big, but it is one of the reasons i got into the hobby, so i will accept the abuse it will cause on my tank.

saltwatercoral
update:

broke down bio-cube since its been neglected since the 180 has been up and going. so i have a bunch more zoanthids, another YWG/pistol pair (i know its risky, but so far they have settled on opposite ends of the tank).

also moved the royal gramma and firefish to the 180. they seem to be doing ok, the gramma is still the boss and the firefish is hangin out with everyone else like hes one of them.

the deal of the week was a beautiful powder blue tang on sale 50% off (overstock) shes about 5 inches, eating like a pig, and super bright coloration. normally i would wait a week or two and watch, but it was too good of a deal for this little beauty.

also, since the programmed waves on the apex, my corals have really seemed to like it. everything is opened more and adds a cool random flow to the tank......ohhh how i wish i could stumble across some mp40s for a good deal....

Congrats on the powder blue tang! I would like to see pics of your tank with all the stock from your bio-cube in there now! Im looking to get 2 MP40Wes for my tank as well! Thanks for all the info as well!

redwhiteandblue
Congrats on the powder blue tang! I would like to see pics of your tank with all the stock from your bio-cube in there now! Im looking to get 2 MP40Wes for my tank as well! Thanks for all the info as well!

I will be posting my monthly updated pictures here in a week or so! the only live stock i really had in the biocube were fish an a couple of zoas, so dont be too excited lol. and no problem for the info, but im kind of a noob as well so dont take what i suggest 100% lol

redwhiteandblue

o yea, i almost forgot....i just ordered my foscam wireless ip camera for the tank. now i will be able to do everything but a water change (yet) from outside of my home. this hobby is ridiculous..........

redwhiteandblue

well, i gotmy foscam! hooked up so i can now view the tank while away from home! the only bad thing is, i have to put it on the side of my 180 because there is no way to mount it to the front without being an eyesore. im stoked, and officially 100% committed to the hobby lol

redwhiteandblue
you should somehow stream it so everyone can watch your tank!

lol, i thought about this, however getting it setup was a big enough task for me! also, i dont know if i can set the camera to be fixed so people cant just pan around and watch me taking a nap in the fish room lol

redwhiteandblue

the march update:

bicube broke down mid feb, everything but sand moved into new tank.

- yellow watchman

-pistol shrimp

-firefish

-royal gramma

-zoanthids

-15 lb live rock

purchases

-neon green carpet nem. clowns already hosting. this thing is growing like crazy an ive only had it 2 weeks

- maze brain i found at a store for 10$

- sweet green maxi mini, i havnt seen this color before.

- powder blue tang

-and the foscam camera to view the tank while away

the bad

-my elegance isnt doing so well. i was told it was an australlian, however, im not 100% . either way, i guess i light shocked it, because is isnt too happy, hopefully she will bounce back. it would be a shame because it was so pretty when i got it. moved to lowest spot in the tank, with a little less light, hopefully time will heal, but if not, i will not be attempting this coral again.

-my red chalice also has experienced slight bleaching, moved to shade.

lessons learned:

LFS lighting is so weak compared to my ATI T5

i learned the importance of light acclimation the hard way i guess.

my wife thinks im crazy since the tank has a live camera feed now.

and here are the pics

FTS

IMG_0885.jpg

THE GREEN MINI MAXI

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

PLATY BRAIN

IMG_0880.jpg

GREEN CARPET

IMG_0876.jpg

"DEATH VALLEY"

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

MISC

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

redwhiteandblue

so a couple of days have gone by and i have noticed something just hasnt looked right in my tank. i could not figure it out, but something was just "missing" today i realized i havnt seen my six line wrasse in a while, so right away i assumed it was the carpet, although the wrasse (i would think) would be the last fish to get caught by the nem. then i was digging around in my cabinet and found mr wrasse right there on the carpet, dried up to fish food.

so the point of the story.....i experienced my first casualty of the build (other than some snails).

what i learned..... the tops have been egg crated already, but fish will still jump out of the 1.5" x18" slots on back of the tank. those are now covered as well.

redwhiteandblue
How you like the powder blue? Any problems with ich?

i love the PBT! and yes, ich has set in after i had her about a week. its irritating, but all part of it i guess. i made sure she was eating in the store, which she was. She still eats normal, does not scratch, and acts perfectly fine, just covered with ich. hopefully she will fight it off. but do worry because it seems to bet getting more "spots" each day....

all other fish are ok.

redwhiteandblue
Get a cleaner wrasse or a cleaner shrimp ASAP. Before its too late.

i have a cleaner shrimp. however, the shrimp doesnt get rid of the ich. only 1 phase of it. there are "unseen" parasites the shrimp wont be able to feast on. but the ones the shrimp can get assist in comforting the fish. ive seen ich go away before on other fish in my tank and others, so hopefully as long as the immune system is good, it should and will fight it. im not too worried about it, time should do the trick. im keeping it "stress free" as possible. now if only my turbos would stop knocking stuff over lol, it would be a calm place. thanks for the input though! i appreciate the lookin out!

• 2 weeks later...
redwhiteandblue

update:

elegance coral is pretty much toast...i will not be attempting this again,unless my LFS gives me a frag of their 10 yr old colony!

ph has steadily increased from 8.20 to 8.40 throughout the week since ive had my windows open for some fresh C02 in the house/tank.

ich is still hanging around visibly on my PBT, but shes still acting ok. im convinced a healthy, stress free tank will be sufficient for most fish. people tend to panic and attempt to catch/treat fish immediatly, and i think this is what goes wrong. just my .02

neptune apex is still a phenominal piece of equipment. i am amazed of its capabilities along with a web cam!

will be doing a serious water change this weekend! i have been occupied with other projects the past 3 weeks so its way over due...

saltwatercoral
update:

elegance coral is pretty much toast...i will not be attempting this again,unless my LFS gives me a frag of their 10 yr old colony!

ph has steadily increased from 8.20 to 8.40 throughout the week since ive had my windows open for some fresh C02 in the house/tank.

ich is still hanging around visibly on my PBT, but shes still acting ok. im convinced a healthy, stress free tank will be sufficient for most fish. people tend to panic and attempt to catch/treat fish immediatly, and i think this is what goes wrong. just my .02

neptune apex is still a phenominal piece of equipment. i am amazed of its capabilities along with a web cam!

will be doing a serious water change this weekend! i have been occupied with other projects the past 3 weeks so its way over due...

Glad to see your PBT is still around! I was thinking about getting one but after looking into these fish that seems to be one of the number one problems/killers of the PBT's. Hope the little guy pulls through!

redwhiteandblue

UPDATE:

my sich PB tang (ich) has dissapeared........

turns out it was my carpet. i saw a buch of bones/cartilage today around the nem.

quite a bummer, but im more bummed that the PBT was actually getting much better as far as the ich.

but i guess the ich wore down her system enough to make her weak an fal into the trap.

I know carpets are notorious for this, as i accept the risk, but i never would have thought it would have eaten the largest fish in the tank!

on a side note....its all part of the hobby, and to be able to see how much everything depends on eachother in a reef tank is simply awesome. i.e. CUC, goby/shrimp, pds/mandarins, nems and fish lol.

what other hobby is like this....

• 2 months later...
redwhiteandblue

ok well i typed this long fu%$in post and my computer decided to go nuts and i lost it.

the breakdown:

new corals

sunset monti

rainbow monti

blue matrix

miami orchid

watermelon chalice

miami hurricane chalice

new invert

LTA: Green

orange mini maxi

new fish

african cleaner wrasse

2 black occe's in my sump..............................

these dudes will be in my new 55g behind my bar in my newly finished basement!

this has been the reason for lack of updates for past two months. will be posting updated pics of the 180 and starting a new in the wall build within the next couple weeks. stay tuned!

redwhiteandblue

so, i felt like spending a little money today and went to pacificeastaquaculture.com and bought 12 corals, some frags, some colonies. i must say, i am very impressed with their stuff, on top of that, it is 40% off all frags and colonies, and they have a 15$ and under frag section. what a deal. will post pics upon arrival

Sorry to hear about the PBT. I lost my Hippo to the same thing. Yellow's seem to have a much better immune system to avoiding ich.

hooligan_78

Nice! That haddoni will be the ruiner of your fish! Mine managed to consume 2 snails and even my halloween urchin, spines and all!

LOVE that flame angel! I've wanted one for a long time! And just give in; buy those mp40s! I have1 on my 40b and love it, you won't regret it!

redwhiteandblue
Nice! That haddoni will be the ruiner of your fish! Mine managed to consume 2 snails and even my halloween urchin, spines and all!

LOVE that flame angel! I've wanted one for a long time! And just give in; buy those mp40s! I have1 on my 40b and love it, you won't regret it!

it may ruin my fish, but they are so sweet!

and i am getting closer to the mp40s. im wondering if 2 mp60 would be better though?

Archived