Coral Vue Hydros

Lee's 40 Gallon Breeder (Retiring)

Lee Van Reef

nice build! do you go to FGCU? swfmas is a great crew, you should have a lot of reef support around there.

Thanks man! I do in fact go to FGCU;It's my first year here. The people on swfmas have been great so far. I missed a frag auction yesterday though, so I'm a bit bummed.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well my overflow u-tube broke...so I made one out of PVC.

THis overflow has really been driving me insane. I htink that I'm going to drill the 20 gallon long I have at home and bring it here to replace this one.

OH! and I found my watchman goby after a week of not knowing where he was!

Woo pics! omgomgomg

imo, drill the one at home and do it. Its only $20 if you break it lol, and its safer

Yeeeee. I'll get some pics when my girlfriend comes over with her Iphone.

I'm definitely going to do just that. I have the right bits at home and I've drilled my old tank too, so hopefully it goes well lol

Thank's D! Means a lot since I know you hate sps lol

So far it's been keeping the color, but from what I understand they lose the green base coloration under intense lighting.

Terrible end to a nice vaction. Came back to find my fish missing a fin, some of my coral recessed and my beautiful red planet acro turned over and buried in the sand with almost it's entirety bleached.

• 2 weeks later...

So for my 3 year anniversary with my girlfriend, she got me a bulk reef supply 75 gpd ro/Di!! I had no idea she even new what a rodi was or where to even get one. Turns out she does listen to my tank ramblings. :D

Tank is currently going through a bad state, but I got big changes coming soon, so stay tuned.

Frankie,

Re-sent package today. It came in with not enough postage. I guess pad packs cost more than 1.77 to ship now!

Anyways its on its way to you!

-Dave

Frankie,

Re-sent package today. It came in with not enough postage. I guess pad packs cost more than 1.77 to ship now!

Anyways its on its way to you!

-Dave

Thanks Dave !

If you dont mind me asking,what power setting do you have your lights at ? I have the same tank as you with a diy led set-up using 12xRB+12xCW all 3w cree and dimmable. Sounds similar to your. Lights are only about 8" off water. I cant seem to get any polyp extension out of my sps corals with little to no growth and some bleaching. :(

Thanks.

If you dont mind me asking,what power setting do you have your lights at ? I have the same tank as you with a diy led set-up using 12xRB+12xCW all 3w cree and dimmable. Sounds similar to your. Lights are only about 8" off water. I cant seem to get any polyp extension out of my sps corals with little to no growth and some bleaching. :(

Thanks.

I run the blues at 100% and the whites at about 60%. My millepora was showing signs of bleaching so I moved it down. I never acclimated my sps to the light though....lol the parts of my red planet that are still alive(shrimp flipped it into the sand when I was away for the weekend) are stilll colored and extending. Polyp extension isn't a great representative of coral health, but no growth is definately an issue. Do you test calcium?

I run the blues at 100% and the whites at about 60%. My millepora was showing signs of bleaching so I moved it down. I never acclimated my sps to the light though....lol the parts of my red planet that are still alive(shrimp flipped it into the sand when I was away for the weekend) are stilll colored and extending. Polyp extension isn't a great representative of coral health, but no growth is definately an issue. Do you test calcium?

Yes, I test every weekend and is water fine. I'm not sure if I need more or less light. I also have the blues 100%. Its the whites I keep messing with trying to find the sweet spot.

Thanks for the reply. BTW nice tank and good luck in school.My wife an I have 3 in collage now and know what

a big deal it is. Later.

Yes, I test every weekend and is water fine. I'm not sure if I need more or less light. I also have the blues 100%. Its the whites I keep messing with trying to find the sweet spot.

Thanks for the reply. BTW nice tank and good luck in school.My wife an I have 3 in collage now and know what

a big deal it is. Later.

I'd probably tell you that its too much light. Be careful how you light acclimate, because you will nuke the hell out of things.

Thanks btw! It hasnt been too bad so far, but my schedule has been pretty lazy.

So for my 3 year anniversary with my girlfriend, she got me a bulk reef supply 75 gpd ro/Di!! I had no idea she even new what a rodi was or where to even get one. Turns out she does listen to my tank ramblings. :D

Tank is currently going through a bad state, but I got big changes coming soon, so stay tuned.

Makes me wonder if my girlfriend is listening *crosses fingers for a reactor for anniversary* :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Makes me wonder if my girlfriend is listening *crosses fingers for a reactor for anniversary* :lol:

lol fingerscrossed

Nice tank dude. You must have a great GF, she gave you frogspawn and an RODI, my college GF gave me the clap.

She's definitely a keeper! :lol: Also, that really blows lol

Anyways,

I dropped my skimmer while cleaning it and broke the inlet tube between the pump and skimmer body. I ordered some weld-on to fix it and it should be here today.Thank god it was a clean break.

And there is going to be a reasonably big update on Thursday if everything goes as planned.

Nice!

Thanks!

So here are the specs:

• 40 gallon Breeder, drilled 2 3/4 returns and herbie drain
  • Quiet One 4000 return
  • 2 Kroalia evo 750
  • Tek light 6x39watt 3 Blue+, 2 Aquablue special, 1 purple plus
  • Reef Octopus Nwb-110
  • 20 Gallon sump
  • 30 pounds of BRS Pukani Rock
  • 60-70 pounds play sand

Thanks!

So here are the specs:

• 40 gallon Breeder, drilled 2 3/4 returns and herbie drain
  • Quiet One 4000 return
  • 2 Kroalia evo 750
  • Tek light 6x39watt 3 Blue+, 2 Aquablue special, 1 purple plus
  • Reef Octopus Nwb-110
  • 20 Gallon sump
  • 30 pounds of BRS Pukani Rock
  • 60-70 pounds play sand

Very similar specs. I use the same bulbs.. haha. Front to back - blue+, aquablue special, blue+, kz fiji purple, aquablue special, blue+.. think this is a good combo for a 14k-ish look.

Archived