inTank Media Baskets

Lee's 40 Gallon Breeder (Retiring)

Lee Van Reef

Lee Van Reef

Updated FTS 2/25/2012:

IMG_20120225_163323.jpg

Original Post:

Hey Guys.

So I'm leaving to college in a few days and this is the thread for the tank I'm taking with me. I know that with me its been impossible to tell whether the 40 breeder will ever see the light of day, but that will come later. In the mean time I need something smaller and more manageable to take with me.

Equipment:

• 20 Gallon AGA
  • Custom made ADA imitation stand
  • Koralia Evolution 750
  • Koralia Evolution 240
  • 10 Gallon sump
  • Rio 1400 Return
  • Eshopps PFnano overflow.
  • 100 watt Heater
  • 35 pounds of dry rock
  • Cheap Silica based sand.

So far, I have not purchased any lighting for this tank, but I will be ordering something by the end of this month. It is between a 4 bulb t-5 unit, or a custom built LED unit by Dave Fason (guess which way I'm leaning :lol: )

Here is a shot of the entire setup (####ty camera I know):

IMAG0242.jpg

This was with some base rock. you can also see the bracket I made for the lighting.

Here is the Semi-Final rock structure:

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

The middle rock is kinda bugging me, but I haven't been able to replace it adequately

So yea, the plan with this setup is to take it to my dorm and start cycling it dark untill my light fixture comes in, then transfer all the livestock from my current tank over and then deck this sucker out with SPS!

Comments welcome as always! I will definitely keep this thread updated.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Guys.

So I'm leaving to college in a few days and this is the thread for the tank I'm taking with me. I know that with me its been impossible to tell whether the 40 breeder will ever see the light of day, but that will come later. In the mean time I need something smaller and more manageable to take with me.

Equipment:

• 20 Gallon AGA
  • Custom made ADA imitation stand
  • Koralia Evolution 750
  • Koralia Evolution 240
  • Aquaclear 70 w/floss
  • 100 watt Heater
  • 35 pounds of dry rock
  • Cheap Silica based sand.

So far, I have not purchased any lighting for this tank, but I will be ordering something by the end of this month. It is between a 4 bulb t-5 unit, or a custom built LED unit by Dave Fason (guess which way I'm leaning :lol: )

Here is a shot of the entire setup (####ty camera I know):

IMAG0242.jpg

This was with some base rock. you can also see the bracket I made for the lighting.

Here is the Semi-Final rock structure:

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

The middle rock is kinda bugging me, but I haven't been able to replace it adequately

So yea, the plan with this setup is to take it to my dorm and start cycling it dark untill my light fixture comes in, then transfer all the livestock from my current tank over and then deck this sucker out with SPS!

Comments welcome as always! I will definitely keep this thread updated.

Your username is incredible. Lol Love it. Sad that I didn't think of that one living here in Hollywood. That tank will look great. Love the sleek design and scape. Will definitely tag along on this thread. Good luck!

Lee Van Reef
Your username is incredible. Lol Love it. Sad that I didn't think of that one living here in Hollywood. That tank will look great. Love the sleek design and scape. Will definitely tag along on this thread. Good luck!

lol Thanks!

Lee Van Reef
Remove the center rock and break it up with a hammer, Then reset the new pieces with new edges.

I might do that actually

Lee Van Reef
Looking really good, I love the scape!

Thanks man! I'm still a bit on the fence on the scape though, but I know once I start messing too much it will never end.

Lee Van Reef
Nice setup Lee. Your scape looks great too!

I also dig the scape. 20longs make such nice reefs

Thanks guys!

Clownfish 11790

Nice to see a fellow 20L College Reefer! I am in a similar situation as you, but I set up my tank a month ago. It's cycled and running smoothly.

I don't have a thread on here (it's on reefcentral), but I'm looking forward to see how you handle moves and such.

Subscribed and good luck!

Lee Van Reef
Nice to see a fellow 20L College Reefer! I am in a similar situation as you, but I set up my tank a month ago. It's cycled and running smoothly.

I don't have a thread on here (it's on reefcentral), but I'm looking forward to see how you handle moves and such.

Subscribed and good luck!

Awesome! Link me to your thread whenever you get the chance. I'm hoping to have it setup tomorrow and water in it on thursday fingerscrossed

Thank you! I'm going to need it... lol

Clownfish 11790
Tank in our new home for the next few years:

IMAG0299.jpg

Looks good! Make sure you don't lean back in that chair and bust open the tank! I'm always worried about having chairs near my tank for that purpose. At least it's not a sharp edge.

Here's my thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2041115

ps Nice stop sign in the back! Don't get caught stealin that! It's a felony.

Lee Van Reef
Looks good! Make sure you don't lean back in that chair and bust open the tank! I'm always worried about having chairs near my tank for that purpose. At least it's not a sharp edge.

Here's my thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2041115

ps Nice stop sign in the back! Don't get caught stealin that! It's a felony.

Thanks! I'm a bit paranoid about it too but it really didnt fit elsewhere.

Nice Tank btw!

And the stop sign is an old souvenir from hurricane Katrina, but yea I read the sticker on the back that alerted me to the severity of my infraction. lol

lol, definitely don't lean back and bust the tank. that would suck.

Yea that would definitely suck....lol

Well I got it filled up. No lights as of yet, but once I have them on, I will get some new pics!

Lee Van Reef

Eh, been busy with acclimating and starting school. Tank is currently cycling. I think I'm gonna hold off on pics till I order my light.

Clownfish 11790
Eh, been busy with acclimating and starting school. Tank is currently cycling. I think I'm gonna hold off on pics till I order my light.

Looking forward to watching to mature in the next few months! I'm moving my tank this Friday! Gettin' nervous.

GL

Archived