ReefCleaners.org

my hatred of LFS!

poolboy8888

I was just sitting here wondering why every time i go in a LFS they seem burdened by my presence? I only have four stores, ( that arnt petco and petsmart) out of those four, only one wants to actually help me. none of them have the right food for my large catfish, (fw) and don't seem to helpful in terms of pointing me in the direction of some food. I realize there is the internet, but i dont always have a week to wait, nor do i want to pay extra for shipping.

There is one store in particular that gets me steamed every time. their tanks dont have any live rock and no clean up crew so every coral is covered in GHA and aptasia. Its a real shame to, because they have some of the harder to find corals. If you try to ask these people what kind of coral or fish it is they act like you have no clue what you are doing. I always ask before i buy and always will. i dont buy what i dont know. (unless its free lol)

The sad part about this whole thing is they all know i am a good customer and usually buy something, whether it is salt or coral. I don't understand how it is so difficult to be nice to a loyal customer?

I shall step off my soap box now, and let you guys try to figure it out.

Thanks for listening!

All I can say is don't patronize a store that is obviously incompetent. Times are tough right now so any business that doesn"t have it together isn't going to last long. I am blessed to have an excellent LFS that actually cares about their animals welfare and and that things are done right. Its a tough business so the marketplace will sort out the bad stores in the end.

Lee Van Reef

One of my LFS used to be the same way with me, but they lightened up after I went there often enough and I went in there knowing what I wanted. Also, I found out that one of the people that works there used to be one of my mothers students way back when, so that helped. (can you say super discounts? lol)

My main problem is if you don't come in waving a $100 bill they look at you like you are taking up there time. I know pet shops are tough to make a profit on, so i would think you could have some costumer service. The one that has costumer service skills doesn't have much in the way of corals. He is cheap on dry goods though so i go to him often.

Curious if the store is a chain or stand-alone.

Given the economy, most corporate run chains might have idiots for service people, but they'll be polite. Due to the competition for jobs in today's economy this tends to drive retail customer service skills to the better side.

If it's a mom&pop store things can get weird. Often it's the attitude of the owner that drifts down to his staff. If the owner is a selfish weirdo then more than likely his staff will be as well. If the owner thinks LEDs or tangs suck, then likely so will his staff.

That is too bad that your experience was like that. In our area we have several excellent LFS's. I have visited each and made purchases from most and they have been nothing but helpful, taking the time to help me be successful with my setup and offer advice. They've been around for many years probably due to the time they invest interacting with and helping their customers.

I have 2 petstores local to me...

One is 'okay'. Ran buy a guy that's sorta burned out, but is really knowledgeable about the easy stuff. He is quite willing to order anything he can for me. Big plus.

the other is a hell hole that should be shut down, but isn't. I hate it. HATE it. she has white BTA's that are sooo stressed they split so 'they must be doing good' and she won't sell the clones. So there's a half dozen white, stressed BTA's in her tank.

WOW i cant agree more ... thats exactly the way i feel... i feel like i am a burden to them every time i walk in... i have no problem with ordering on line but the price is crazy... anyone have any favorite sites to buy from that dont go crazy on shipping?

irondragon013

Check out our sponsor section. Aquacave does $5 shipping and we have a code for 5% off. So if you buy enough it gets close to free shipping.

I have one LFS with one of the sales people that I'd like to smack 6 ways from Sunday. He is SO nonchalant about everything. "Yeah throw it in there", "Sure no problem" "Oh he'll be fine". At the same store there is another guy that will talk to you, and explain things, and even go look for answers on something he doesn't know. (he's cute too, i don't know maybe I bat my eyelashes at him which helps)

Then there is the other LFS, OMG I love those guys - ABSOLUTELY FISH IN CLIFTON NJ - LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Every single one of them knows their stuff, help you know your stuff and are always so crazy busy but STILL make time for you even if you buy a $2.99 shroom that is just sitting there. (rare, BTW, most of their corals are $200)

If it's a mom&pop store things can get weird. Often it's the attitude of the owner that drifts down to his staff. If the owner is a selfish weirdo then more than likely his staff will be as well. If the owner thinks LEDs or tangs suck, then likely so will his staff.

Yes, yes, 1,000x yes! The only lfs that isn't a chain is like this. And as others have said, I will never shop there again. I had pacus in my 75 once, I realized the mistake I made and once they got too big, about 16-18 inches, I sought out places to trade. This guy says he wants to buy it an to bring it in, big fish are harder to transport and naturally after a 20 minute ride in a 5g bucket the fish was stressed so taking it home wasn't an option if I wanted to keep it alive. I get there and he takes one look at it and says "I never said I'd buy it, I'll take it and find it a home and that's all I'll do. I know he sold it.

Then recently my friend and I had 5 finger leather trades to unload. He likes the store so I said I would forgive but if we got screwed like I knew we would, that that would be the last time I step foot in that place. He does all the talking on the phone the guy is really in to the idea of trading frag for frag from their soft coral rack. We get there, he looks at them and says, "I don't really want or need these at all but since you seem think that I would trade for finger leather frags I'll give you $7/ frag SC or $5 cash." I know that's not a bad price all things equal, but he sells common soft coral frags that size for $40.

I am forever done with that place. I have found that a local chain, like 6 stores all together, are super nice, gives great trades, and knows their stuff. They have always treated me right.

olemanwinter

I've given up on LFS.

If you don't know what you need...they will sell you something you don't need.

If you don't know what its worth....they will charge you extra.

If you know what you need and what it's worth.....they don't have it in stock.

If you are willing to pay in advance for special order.....they tell you it's not worth their time and they might get it in anyway "one day".

Curious if the store is a chain or stand-alone.

Given the economy, most corporate run chains might have idiots for service people, but they'll be polite. Due to the competition for jobs in today's economy this tends to drive retail customer service skills to the better side.

This is exactly what im talking about! My petco is one of only four stores in the entire state that has a frag tank. the people are nice and knowledgeable. I hate to support these stores with there over all reputation, but they actually have nice coral.

The other stores which I would love to support dont want it. The owners always seem weird!

Yeah, bad LFS's are the worst. They're either overpriced and have stuck-up people who treat you like an idiot, or have dirty tanks and don't know what they're talking about.

I still haven't found one that I like alot.

Wow I guess I should be happy that I work at a lfs that's rated one of the beat if not the best in Colorado. The reason I started working there is because the owners are basically the exact opposite of what everyone is saying here. Helpful, patient, and awesome.

I am lucky I got a really good LFS salt water fish and corals only. It took some time for them to get used to me. It just seems like in this hobby it takes awhile for LFS staff to understand how much you are really into it. I just went in once a week and i dont think I have ever spent more then $20 on a frag at a time. Just the way I am I like to buy small and let things grow out. Stick with them show them you are really into the hobby and maybe one day they will respect that.

The closest LFS to me is absolutely horrible. They have a decent selection of dry goods and some nice fish, but the owner is a flippin B! I refuse to go there unless there is an emergency other than that I stick with fish stores in the OC.

Good news is that a local forum member just opened up a new store about 10 minutes away and he carries BRS products and I know him and trust him so hopefully he shuts all the other fish stores out of business.

SouthFlorida_Tron

What worked for me was getting on the same "lingo" and reef tank, and brought em a fresh pizza from he local Italian restaurant!

One time I bought 4 frags, gave me two extra free.

My LFS is horrible as well, every time i go in there the employees look depressed all the time. I have another employee following me everywhere i go, thinking i might steal something. Worst place i have been too is in bradenton, that place was a dump. I always prefer to drive a bit further to WWC for my reefing needs.

Seano Hermano

My "local" fish store nearest to me is 30 minutes away. It is a Pet Supplies Plus. I was "so-so" as far as what I though about them. They are always asking if i needed help. So that's nice. They have a decent selection of the normal sofites, LPS, SPS. Livestock is nice too, but nothing special. They also don't carry much in the way of equipment; what they do have is minimal. - They only carry Coralife skimmers...Aqueon T5HO lights, no metal halides, and no LEDs...no reactors...no biopellets. But they do still sell bio-balls.

BUT they run (3) 250w AquaMedic MH lights over the 180 reef tank and run Vertex protein skimmers on the frag tank? What the heck? I want those....

Late July, I went in to get a refund for my Marineland Stealth Pro heater, which has been recalled for a few months (Feb. was the earliest I heard of it), but I hadn't gotten to the store in some time, as it is 30 minutes away and I didn't have money to spend on the tank. So I go in the store and ask about a refund.

The lady says, "Oh, this was recalled a while ago"

Me: Yeah, like back in February, I know. I haven't used it in some time.

Lady Employee: No, they were recalled. Like maybe a year ago."

Me: Um...I just bought it from your store back in September?!

Lady: Let me call Marinelanad and see what I can do.

1. They were recalled in Feb., IIRC....

2. If they were recalled a year ago, then why were you still selling it to me?

After about 20 minutes on the phone she finally hung up and said I would be refunded.

The only other store in that town is Jack's Aquarium and pets. That have good sales sometimes on equipment, but livestock and coral are nothing to yell about. Some of the coral was bleached while other corals were browned out (different tank).

I really wish I could find I nice LFS to go to. There is Aquarium Adventure in Columbus, OH(two hours away). Their prices are pretty high on corals/fish, most dry goods. Though equipment isn't too far above most online.

My lfs has an awesome setup but the kittenbag that worked there kept me from ever being a serious customer. Then one day they realized they had a moronic kittenbag working for them and they fired his ass. Now I work there and customers have even commented that they are glad that he is gone. The only ones that miss him are customers that I consider kittenbags as well. The owners are bat#### crazy, but pobodys nerfect.

Edit : HAHAHA NR turns the " d" word into kitten. When did that happen?! Lol

I was buying a colony of palys at my LFS today. I was standing at the cash register and I noticed the lady next to my checking out had a 2" butterfly fish and a domino damsel. I was just watching the fish swim around in their bags when she asked what light she should put over her tank. He suggested a light which was very small and low wattage, then he mentioned it should light up her 1 gallon pretty well and will make the fish stand out.

WAIT A SECOND... You're putting a BUTTERFLY FISH in a 1 gallon? Nope. She's actually putting a butterfly fish and a damsel in her 1 gallon. <_<

Um... Is this the same LFS that told me the week before that they won't sell fresh-cut frags because they want to maintain quality in their service? Maybe they just hate me. Or maybe it was because the worker was attracted to the customer? They looked about the same age... :lol:

Seano Hermano
I was buying a colony of palys at my LFS today. I was standing at the cash register and I noticed the lady next to my checking out had a 2" butterfly fish and a domino damsel. I was just watching the fish swim around in their bags when she asked what light she should put over her tank. He suggested a light which was very small and low wattage, then he mentioned it should light up her 1 gallon pretty well and will make the fish stand out.

WAIT A SECOND... You're putting a BUTTERFLY FISH in a 1 gallon? Nope. She's actually putting a butterfly fish and a damsel in her 1 gallon. <_<

Um... Is this the same LFS that told me the week before that they won't sell fresh-cut frags because they want to maintain quality in their service? Maybe they just hate me. Or maybe it was because the worker was attracted to the customer? They looked about the same age... :lol:

Now that's ####ed up. I think you just won the "Worst LFS award."

That sucks that your LFS is bad :( My LFS is very nice. clean tanks. healthy fish and corals. lots of equipment etc. The other has bad prices and is too far away. I saw a flame wrasse pair at the first lfs I mentioned. they were $220 the male $150 the female $80. thats a pretty good price to me, I don't want to be put in the poor house though lol.

Archived