Top Shelf Aquatics

A DSLR Journal

SouthFlorida_Tron

Most of all this is Greek to me. I want the 7D. I have no plans to go into full frame cameras and it is the best I can afford. Then I know I want a great wireless flash system. That is kinda where my problem is. The ST-E2 and 580ex IIs sound like a really great combo but I don't know anything about it to be honest. The price is a lotta bit high as well.

Is there a cheaper method that would be more appealing to me? What would I look for in a flash to have a decent wireless system? My brother has a cheap flash that runs off of visual of the camera flash. This I do not like because I may not want to use my camera flash at all.

Looking at the basic info on your pieces, this does sound like something I would like, a bit lower class of flash for less money though. My only requirement is that is is Canon brand when at all possible. I mostly operate with mid grade gear and want to keep it there when possible.

Thanx.

The 430ex will be able to be triggered by the on camera flash as well as by an st-e2. The 7D and 60D don't use infrared to trigger, but they use the on camera flash to trigger flashes, like Nikon cameras. They don't quite use IR like you say, so you will be using the on camera flash to trigger other flashes, but on the 7D you can turn off the on camera flash so that it will only be used to trigger the other flash and not illuminate the picture.Not sure if that made any more sense.

So in more simple terms, the 430ex will work off camera, but unless you go the pocketwizard route or st-e2 route, you're going to be stuck using the on-camera flash to trigger your 430ex.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
God I'm so confused.

O ya... Can't wait for my 100 2.8L IS to arrive! :ninja:

Haha! The world of photography loses me every once in a while too. Congrats on the purchase!

Also, saying putting an expensive flash on-camera being a bad move is kind of a common misconception. A lot of times for reception work, we have a Radiopopper mounted on an ST-E2 for the heavy lifting in off-camera lighting, but once it gets too crazy, you don't really have the time to adjust the lighting to all of your needs. On-camera flashes will always be used, at least by me, for candid photography. This, being in reply to Asting. On camera doesn't have to look flat or dull, most professionals will work with light bounce to get some depth on the shot. Working with a camera with good ISO1600 or above and you can use ambient lighting to give depth to a flashed shot as well.

The 430ex will be able to be triggered by the on camera flash as well as by an st-e2. The 7D and 60D don't use infrared to trigger, but they use the on camera flash to trigger flashes, like Nikon cameras. They don't quite use IR like you say, so you will be using the on camera flash to trigger other flashes, but on the 7D you can turn off the on camera flash so that it will only be used to trigger the other flash and not illuminate the picture.Not sure if that made any more sense.

So in more simple terms, the 430ex will work off camera, but unless you go the pocketwizard route or st-e2 route, you're going to be stuck using the on-camera flash to trigger your 430ex.

I see. I take it that the 430ex should make me happy also if I decide to go lower end on the flash? I'll have to really check out some detailed reviews when I get ready to buy a flash.

I see. I take it that the 430ex should make me happy also if I decide to go lower end on the flash? I'll have to really check out some detailed reviews when I get ready to buy a flash.

430ex will be more than enough I think. I use the 580ex ii only because I can use it to trigger other flashes as well if I need to keep a flash on my camera.

And yes, Vic, I would like to see some as well. Many people who gripe about on camera flashes have never even used off camera flashes to tell the difference and difficulty of using those kinds of setups.

SouthFlorida_Tron

That's the one thing I heard about 580ex II is that it's a master while the others are slaves.

I'm just not into photography that much guru style to walk around with umbrellas and stuff lol, besides, other than urban & reef, my photography is just of friends n family.

Now do you still think the 430ex ii is right for me as a "stronger" flash solution?

That's the one thing I heard about 580ex II is that it's a master while the others are slaves.

I'm just not into photography that much guru style to walk around with umbrellas and stuff lol, besides, other than urban & reef, my photography is just of friends n family.

Now do you still think the 430ex ii is right for me as a "stronger" flash solution?

Yes the 430ex is a great flash. It has a lower guide number, but it shouldn't affect normal shooting situations, especially with the flash on-camera. I don't really use umbrellas myself. Most of the time we'll have a couple flashes on lightstands and another flash on a lightstick that we can have someone walk around with at events so we can have a certain degree of control over the lighting. Umbrellas and beauty dishes are more for studio work because they are either too bulky or take too long to setup.

just got a t3 im a total noob.. reading up as much as i can

off topic, can you recommend a good alignment shop in sfl for dropped car? .. car looks great, ever thought about a rear skirt?

SouthFlorida_Tron
just got a t3 im a total noob.. reading up as much as i can

off topic, can you recommend a good alignment shop in sfl for dropped car? .. car looks great, ever thought about a rear skirt?

What car do you have? Mine is so low the only hat can do it is my VW dealer....

I can but it's too much $$$ not on my priority list.

so, i finally broke down and got a dslr. i feel like such a newb now. you however... are rockin the pics. keep up the great work. i probably missed it, but what are you using for post shot processing?

SouthFlorida_Tron
so, i finally broke down and got a dslr. i feel like such a newb now. you however... are rockin the pics. keep up the great work. i probably missed it, but what are you using for post shot processing?

Adobe photoshop cs5 and adobe camera raw. Always shoot in raw mode so I can control more of the photo.

Adobe photoshop cs5 and adobe camera raw. Always shoot in raw mode so I can control more of the photo.

good lord i am behind the 8-ball on the digi pics. what ever happened to good 'ol film. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived