SaltCritters.com

Llj's 8G... Can't have just one

lljdma06

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know, I'll see. That would be cool.

Evidently not, they are not commonly available. Tiger cowry are readily available, but they get WAY too big, I guess, will just stick some extra sand snails or something in it. Nassarius distortus is another possibility.

Regarding fish... I definitely want...

1 High-fin banded goby (Stonogobiops nematodes) with its pistol shrimp companion (Alpheus species)

But, considering how the goby doesn't move much, I think I could have something else too.

Other possibilities for little nano fish include (I'd only have 1 possibility or 2 max)

Yellow clown goby (Gobiodon okinawae)- I plan on keeping acropora corals, and this is a natural perching location for these fish. They may also nip at new polyps, bad gobies.

Neon goby (Elacatinus oceanops) - kind of does the same thing as the high-fin, though

Red-spotted goby (Trimma rubromaculatus) - probably too small

Yellow-stripe clingfish (Diademichthys lineatus) - Closely associated with branching corals

Yellow-tail damsel (Chrysiptera parasema) - I know different choice, but I've seen a single one done before and tbh, it looked fabulous in the tank and the damsel did extremely well.

Another invert to consider are Trapezia species, since they have a symbiotic relationship with Acropora coral.

This tank's getting some diatoms now. It's so fun to just let things go and have things take care of itself. I'll see where I am in another week and then test the water. We've got Hurrican Irene being a potential threat, so I'm glad I'm not in a heavy stage with any of these tanks.

fts - big difference in color

ac5ddd1e.jpg

4982b8af.jpg

b269f8a4.jpg

Two videos...

Mojito my majano... He will die when the cycle is complete, cause I will keeeeel heeeeem. Look for him in the middle of the shot, little brown Mojito...

Colonial tubeworms, lovely marroon tenticles. Some people think these are pest but I kind of dig them.

Thanks for looking. I really need to get the MH up. That's Saturday's project. But with this diatom problem, maybe not... :lol:

llj

I didn't see either of those things in the videos, but I trust you! Can't believe you are going to kill poor little Mojito ... cruel, cruel lady.

Builder Anthony

KIll mojito?

Thats not nice.Let him stick around he might be cool.Anywyas nice rock.Must have a good dealer nearby.

I didn't see either of those things in the videos, but I trust you! Can't believe you are going to kill poor little Mojito ... cruel, cruel lady.

KIll mojito?

Thats not nice.Let him stick around he might be cool.Anywyas nice rock.Must have a good dealer nearby.

I am sad to report that I've not seen mojito for some time, though there is another majano, but it doen't look as nice. We shall dub him Barcardi. :D

There have been developments and I apologize for not updating this thread like I should have. Build my refugiums, they just need stuff to go in them.

I had excellent LR, I have some serious diatoms, sooooo, I had planned to order my CUC online and make a big to do about it. Well...

I scrapped that plan... Though I will always say, it is very good to plan. Went to the lfs to pick up my CUC. All the research I did helped me a lot today because I knew what to ask for when they didn't have what I wanted and I was able to recognize species by sight. Go me! I got my CUC for both my picos. They are drip acclimating now. This is the 8g's drip acclimating setup... Got started late, will be here a while. :lol: I'm using gang valves. Very efficient. I have Monochrome5's as a spare, though. You can never have too many.

The setup...

f156923f.jpg

38628a22.jpg

Don't laugh at me, the guy at the lfs kept laughing at me and saying that's it? LOLOL Here's what I got...

Banded trochus snail. Haha! They thought they didn't have any, but I found this one.

c969d7e0.jpg

Electric blue hermit - I had changed my mind and said no to this guy, because they get larger, but I saw him and he sooooo purty, I wanted it. I'm terrible. But I know what to expect.

a9381077.jpg

Emerald crab - another one that I'll watch. If he screws up, he gets fed to the cats.

c4fc313d.jpg

Nassarius snails and an Astraea snail - I didn't love the idea of an astraea, but I thought let me try & see.

dfc88721.jpg

So six things total, not too bad. I almost got shrimps but decided against it. The thing I love about Marine? That you can go super slow. It's neat getting things a little at a time. I got empty hermit shells too and scattered them about. Must name them soon and buy them food before they run out, but now they have plenty.

llj

• 2 weeks later...
Nice variety of CUC you got there! Love the shell of the banded.

LOL, thanks. I'm officially behind with this thread. Here are the CUC in the tank.

Happy inverts in their home. I love these guys. I must name them.

fts, before...

6e97edd8.jpg

fts, so much cleaner now.

2dca5347.jpg

Ok, just a lot of peeeechurs now. :D

d168ed53.jpg

d3f359b2.jpg

cb244fa8.jpg

872235cd.jpg

54b5a2fd.jpg

14bef6b7.jpg

2a8c6820.jpg

f87fa7e1.jpg

Videos. :D

Electric blue hermit

Banded trochus munching away. I just keep thinking Spaceballs when the vacumn cleaner is sucking the air from the Planet Druidia and President Scroob, Dark Helmet and the other guy are just saying "Suck, suck, suck..." LOLOL

I was supposed to put up the MH this long weekend, but I was instead grilling. I did do a waterchange and got something new for this tank, but I'll wait a bit before I share it. It's nice and red. :D

I need one of those trochus snails (suck suck suck)! All of my snails just sit around barely moving, for days on end. Maybe there is too much food for them so they don't need to try!

dont name them hermits! the ones u name and love are the first ones to go.... mine gets murdered by unknown, ONLY when i stay over at someone else' house for the night.

I am going to follow this one too!

Can't wait to see more updates!

Thank you! Means a lot that you want to follow this journal. :)

dont name them hermits! the ones u name and love are the first ones to go.... mine gets murdered by unknown, ONLY when i stay over at someone else' house for the night.

Oh! Don't say he'll be killed by an unknown. Noooo! I love my hermits. Except my scarlet hermit in my 2.5g. He's a dork. Doesn't do ANYTHING!!! Maybe I get him a buddy or a Barrista and make him some espresso. He's not sick or anything, just on slow motion, unlike my blue-legs or my electric blue.

But time for a delicious update. You are all gonna die. It's awesome.

Critter update: I gots me a Fire shrimp. Lysmata debelius. I must name him. Its like having a dog in a tank. He takes food from my hand. Observe...

He finds a cave...

He takes food from my hands... Must name him.

Technical update: As you all know, Monochrome5 sent me his 70w MH fixture, but with school (I'm a professor at two universities, yikes!) I didn't have time to install it. Things have settled down and he really needs my CF fixture for his tank, sooo... I got ma butt in gear! He suggested the idea of mounting on a wall, and actually Giga has a similar idea. I must, however, give special thanks to my mom. She suggested the actual shelf support that I ultimately went with. Went to home Depot.

1 package of Mounting screws - various sizes but I opted to use the 2" screws

1 shelf reinforcer, but turned the opposite way.

1 roll of duct tape (ended up not needing it. but it's always good to have)

My Metal Hallide has the following type of mounting...

a79974ca.jpg

If you rotate the shelf-reinforcer the opposite way, the now free ledge slides right into the opening in the fixture, creating a stable mounting. Here are the pictures. Not too bad and I only had to use two screws. I can also easily remove the fixture from the mounting for bulb-changing and maintenance.

a234b269.jpg

a234b269.jpg

84d3f636.jpg

8ae0a654.jpg

dad2699f.jpg

I mounted it about 13" above the tank. I want to see how the tank handles the added heat of the hallide lamp, so I was conservative. It's super bright. And has a different hue. I may change the bulb, I may not. I like more cool tones, but I'll work with this one for a while. I can raise and lower the lamp if I need to by unscrewing the mount. It isn't hard. It looks much cleaner-looking than I expected. Water shimmer sooooooo, soooooo pretty... :D

Monocrhome5 also sent me these little blue LED strips (isn't he awesome?), so I'll probably hook one up to the Halide and get some blue tones in there. It's so bright, that I'm wondering if I even need to run the refugium light or will ample light reach my refugium just because it's a MH? What do all of you think? I can then move the fuge light to the 2.5g.

Thanks for looking, told ya I had a delicious update. :D

L

That shrimp is very cool! Definitely needs a name. And can't believe he ate from your hand so quickly! I need a shrimp ...

The light also looks great, your mom is a genius =0)

I am no expert as you know, but to me that MH looks to light the fuge just nicely, can't see that you would need the extra little light.

That's exactly what I was thinking, Peter. I think the refugium can be easily lit by ambient MH light. This is good, as I may use the little light for the 2.5g's refugium. I may also stick the heater in a fuge chamber. Temperature has so far been unaffected by the MH. It's not generating the heat that I expected, but I also have it mounted 13".

Glad you like the shrimp. :)

Well, did another water change and everybody looks great. My fire shrimp eats from my hands. I have named him Clifford after the big red dog. :D

I got my first corals as they didn't have any fish that I wanted and since I had my MH already hooked up. These aren't the permanent positions, but with corals you have to start them at the bottom with a reduced photoperiod then work up the photoperiod and then work up the position. Especially with my lighting.

fts

a92ebbc4.jpg

Orange zoanthids. Bigger than your average zoanthid. Looks a bit like Zoanthus pulchellus to me, but I'm not certain. They are even more open today than in the pictures below, but I can't be snapping pictures all day. I won't get any work done! LOLOL

e1e989f4.jpg

3f230dfe.jpg

Ricordea yuma...

When I first added it.

f9791c3a.jpg

Extended... It's such a lovely color. It's even got a few yuma babies on the rock it's on.

a113a739.jpg

I'm done with this tank for a while. I need to get paid, and the plants for my 36g have priority. My mom may buy me a frag. I found a place where they sell them for like $10. She was looking at the torches and wanting them. I may humor her. It's not what I want, but I like making her happy. :)

:) Thanks for looking.

L

AWESOME yuma and shrimp! I think a azure damsel would fit nicely in this tank! :)

What does an azure damsel look like?

Beautiful ric indeed.

Thanks, I want a few more.

I think they are blue

You think? :P I know they're blue, but I've not seen one before. I googled it. It gets too big IMO. It's a lovely fish, though. OK, I've got some yummy yuma pictures and other HD tidbits!

Fire shrimp... He shed this morning, OMG! Soooo glad that that wasn't my first shed. I would have had a heart attack!

DSC05981.jpg

Emerald crab on his favorite perch...

DSC05975.jpg

Electric blue hermit crab...

DSC05995.jpg

Are these orange zoas? I just fed them, so they were extended. :)

DSC06000.jpg

DSC05984.jpg

Time for some yuma yumminess!

DSC06013.jpg

DSC05973.jpg

DSC05993.jpg

Yuma family...

DSC05987.jpg

baby yumas, I think.

DSC05988.jpg

Bigger baby yuma...

DSC05983.jpg

DSC05991.jpg

OK, I'm done with pictures for now. I just had to share. I used a Sony cyber shot. :)

L

Archived