Innovative Marine Aquariums

Llj's 8G... Can't have just one

lljdma06

Isn't this tank super pretty? It's my old Finnex 8g, 16" x 10" x 11.5". Has a 24W CF fixture. Purchased the tank in 2006.

ffaab63f.jpg

With two Rio 50+ powerheads. A little shy of 20x. But, initially purchased a Hydor pico evolution giving me 20x, but these two seem to physically have more flow, IMO.

b1a4a29a.jpg

Videos showing flow and surface agitation. What do you think? Hard to see. Moves pretty well. Particles are going everywhere. I could also add the hydor too. Or add a third Rio from the planted tank and use the Hydor in the planted. You can never have enough flow and I like the very even distribution that three give.

I've got another item on it the way.

http://www.marinedepot.com/UP_Aqua_UA_F17_...TFILDFX-vi.html

It's only to supplement the lighting and create that "shimmer".

Was going to convert an aquaclear 70 to a fuge, may be too big for behind the tank. May try to convert an aquaclear 50 instead, which is much smaller, but I'll need a different fuge light. The one I got is way too big. Need like a clip on LED or something very small, like a pod light or something? Suggestions are helpful here. Otherwise, larger waterchanges are in order and I'll nix the idea of a fuge. Would love the fuge, though, as it would negate the extra powerhead, IMO and it's a great little DYI project. Installing my RO gave me confidence to tackle a DIY. :D

I figured the tank was just lying around and it cost less than $20 to change the bulb in the fixture, and $40 for that light. Converting the aquaclear is free and I have all the powerheads essentially. Have the heater. Have extra thermometers. Why not make 8g extra of water? Won't even be 8g of water once I get the LR and sand in. Have to do the water test for copper. I don't remember if I treated this tank or not when it was a planted tank. Hopefully nothing is amiss.

Stocking wise, I have absolutely no idea. No limits other than my lighting and that it's only 8g.

Thanks for looking. It's a lovely tank. Has made some beautiful planted tanks. Hopefully it'll do the same for SW.

FTS (ca. mid-late October)

ef10157e.jpg

FTS (3/25/12)

1911e859.jpg

llj

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

llj really does have the saltwater bug, eh? =0)

Looks like a great little tank - look forward to seeing it develop!

was just about to say that you should try planted in that lol. im sure it will look good for SW.

As a planted tank in 2009

DSC00213.jpg

From 2008

IMG_2686smaller.jpg

My RO unit is working very well. Salt & Sand should arrive this week. I may have this one with LR very quickly.

llj

why on earth did you gut it out lol? was it just too much change and pruning too fast that got annoying?

That's exactly why. The moss wall was particularly fun. I also got a bigger planted tank. Now, I'm trying Marine. :)

My other Marine is in the biotope section.

haha, yes that's how good planted tanks tend to be :lol:

looks like you are just starting up that biotope too! nice idea, some of those plant/algaes are wicked.

what's your bigger planted tank? i have a 40 gal planted.

haha, yes that's how good planted tanks tend to be :lol:

looks like you are just starting up that biotope too! nice idea, some of those plant/algaes are wicked.

what's your bigger planted tank? i have a 40 gal planted.

My bigger planted tank is a 60cm ADA rimless. Holds about 16g. Not to big, not too small

Glad you like the choices in the Planted Marine. That was a much more difficult tank to plan.

Llj

Monochrome5

Dear Lissette,

I have a clip-on LED you could stick on an AC70 for a fuge light. You have moss/plants I want. Dare I suggest another trade? :)

Your pal,

Kyle

Dear Lissette,

I have a clip-on LED you could stick on an AC70 for a fuge light. You have moss/plants I want. Dare I suggest another trade? :)

Your pal,

Kyle

Dear Kyle,

I have pelia and moss for you. Yes, let's trade.

Your buddy,

Lissette

PS: your plants go out today. :D

WOW this tank as a planted was amazing! Very beautiful :)

It's going to be a great sw tank

Yoshii, this is my little magic tank. Something about the tank depth and the distance with the lights lets me get away with murder. It is also a great size and very easy to modify. Can't wait for my salt to arrive, so I can start preparing water. The 36g is my thinking tank, this one is my fun tank. I have no idea with regards to stocking. Was eyeing Stonogobiops nematodes with its shrimp at the lfs the other day. Too cute. But my tank is small.

I feel terrible today, though. Yesterday I drained the 36g and had to lift it and move it to clean it up. I'm paying for it today. :( Very sore and my allergies are terrible. But I have a juicy update for the 36g.

llj

Guess what I got?

a7dc0031.jpg

Packing peanuts!!! :hyper: I've got a load of this stuff now.

a16d193f.jpg

Of course, I also received sand and salt, but that's for both tanks, but I got something just for this tank too...

Underneath all those packing peanuts...

An LED fixture... I wanted something that wasn't too bright, so I can stagger with the CF fixture... This was the cheap solution. It's really small.

bc0b8a77.jpg

Out of the package.

bb6c50b1.jpg

Clipped onto the tank.

2eb7166c.jpg

Tank with just this light. Not too bad actually. For the size, I was pleasantly surprised.

72ee1b39.jpg

I'll snap another photo at night so it'll be easier to see, but it's not too bad. I also have to purchase an Aquaclear 50. I want to convert it to a refugium, but I just remembered that both my Aquaclear 50s are occupied (Planted tank)... :look: When I pick up my lampeyes tomorrow (for that ADA planted tank), I'll buy one.

This is the tank that's going up first. The 36g involves investment in more-expensive macro-algae and seagrasses and more careful planning, despite it being a larger and ultimately easier system to maintain. I'd prefer to do some trial and error with this little 8g as I'm getting everything from the lfs, so there is less initial expense.

llj

Why not get 1 or 2 K-nanos or something instead of 3 little phs?

Excited to see how this tank comes out :D Such a nice, cute little tank!

Why not get 1 or 2 K-nanos or something instead of 3 little phs?

Excited to see how this tank comes out :D Such a nice, cute little tank!

Well... The wonderful thing is that I could do that. I have to see how the substrate reacts to the powerheads. It's very fine. Now, I've had powerheads in planted tanks with very fine substrate and you can manipulate their positioning to minimize the "sandstorm" effect. This all depends on how much flow I need in the 36g. Planted Marines are a bit different.

I never loved the Dwarf seahorses and pipefishes.

A question: What do you all think of the lighting? It's a 24CF and I got that new little LED fixture too. Not much, there, but probably enough for softies and non-photosynthetics.

llj

obviously NPS dont care lol, but yes its enough for mushrooms and easy stuff. try mushrooms only first. if they stretch up on their stalks instead of lying on the rock, then you need better lighting.

I love the dimensions of that tank. A lot. ;)

I do too, it's one of my favorite tanks to work with. Lovely dimensions.

obviously NPS dont care lol, but yes its enough for mushrooms and easy stuff. try mushrooms only first. if they stretch up on their stalks instead of lying on the rock, then you need better lighting.

There has actually been a recent development that will address this issue in a most satisfactory way. :D I will keep everybody posted. For now, the 24W CF will suffice for the cycling process.

I'll just say this... Group hug to the lot of you. I've been very happy at nano-reef.com. You all are great. Some fabulous and very generous people lurk here.

:grouphug:

llj

Hey my peeps! Now we's getting serious...

Some of you may know Monochrome5 (creates a wonderful home for pests over at the biotope section and he's got a great 29g upgrade). He & I have been helping each other out. He's venturing into the green world of planted aquariums, while I venture into Marine. There has been a development in my lighting situation. The 24W CF isn't going to be great, rather bleh, even with the little LED to help, so... I'm getting this intead.

Ooooooo...

48bc91a8.jpg

10da4623.jpg

Don't stare into the light!!!!

c3ef5636.jpg

Fine print...

4cf9f4b3.jpg

It's a 70W 10k MH lamp, housed in a 9.5" custume fixture to save space. Perfect for the 8g. Plug 'n play. All I have to do is construct a mount that suspends the light about a foot from the 8g. As long as I don't have to do any electrical or any plumbing, I can do some DIY. This opens a whole new door with regard to what corals I can keep. With the flow that I could have, I can do some very impressive things with this tank.

I really appreciate Monochrome5's generosity. This is a wonderful development. I'm really happy that I came here. :)

I also got this... I'm close, I'm really close. Look for the "pet rock phase" to perhaps start on Sunday, I've got to age some SW.

8a480a53.jpg

Now, for fun... How do you think this looks?? Uh oh...

e6a316fc.jpg

It's a 2.5g that I have just lying around with the LED fixture (see above post) on top. This is what happens when you have stuff just lying around. This is 22 years in the hobbby, peeps! What's another gallon or two of RO? :P

Oooh~ shiny new light :D This tank is definitely going to be interesting!

I know, I think with the flow and lighting, and the maitenance, I can do some very interesting things with thi tank. What would you do?

llj

Love the 2.5g thoughts, haha. Just like me at the moment - my pico hasn't even got its CUC (going for one today), yet I'm already planning a bigger marine tank!

Look forward to seeing your pet rock.

Love the 2.5g thoughts, haha. Just like me at the moment - my pico hasn't even got its CUC (going for one today), yet I'm already planning a bigger marine tank!

Look forward to seeing your pet rock.

Oh you don't know how long I've been waiting for my pet rock. I'm so excited. I'll make the thread for the 2.5g. Looks like it's going to be a go. I promise, last one! but first...

Mixing SW for the first time...

Out of the package... Look at all that white stuff...

6cffe63b.jpg

It's great having a planted background. The directions on the salt bucket were a little vague and in grams, but I have this...

171d34f3.jpg

A jewelry scale from my planted days. Used it to measure bicarbonate for DIY dkh solution. Could also measure dry salts for ferts. Measures 1000g to two decimal places.

Sweet.

I was able to use it to measure salt quite nicely. Hehehe, feel like I'm measuring a certain white substance that'll get people in trouble...

08686dfc.jpg

It's very cloudy when you first add the salt. You need to age it for a day or so, so the salt dissolves.

47bef89a.jpg

Agitation... I need to get me more of these big powerheads.

d9f47e5e.jpg

The setup. Right now, I made about 10g. Enough to fill the 8g and the 2.5 with rock displacement. I need to make more and test. Will pick up some more larger power heads. I'd like to have an extra 5g or so for the setup of these two, yes two tanks. I want to rinse the LR in SW before I put it in and go over it for any dead things or beasties that are undesirable.

1307f806.jpg

Thanks for looking. I know they are rather detailed, but you never know, somebody can learn from them..

llj

I certainly learn from your step by step guides, llj - but at the same time, glad I don't need to mix my own water!

But the freedom to do a waterchange whenever I want is so wonderful. Your systems are much smaller. I've got a larger 36 and an 8g, so having an RO and making my own water is better for me.

A little update...

All filled up and waiting for LR

ph: between 8.2 and 8.4, I'm a wee bit rusty with water tests. Hahaha, haven't used them since I started planted tanks. That was over 5 years ago. I'll get better at it.

dd2ca8ba.jpg

For now, I'm using a Rio 50+ with a Koralia nano, but... I'll be constructing a refugium out of this aquaclear 50 based on El Fab's template.

7e80a3ae.jpg

Stay tuned for the LR tomorrow, I've got 10g of aging saltwater ready for the cleaning of the LR and possible rinsing of the sand, just incase.

Some video...

llj

Archived