Coral Vue Hydros

Tanked!

wartskin

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So whats the verdict on sustainable tang collection out of hawaii. I thought everyone hated the collection of those yellows, or is it not that big of a deal? I remember that was one statement made on the show. did Justin say that or one of the dudes?

Hopefully they're not like the idiot that was a guest on Marth Stewart saying the average salt water fish tank costs over $4000.

It was a 55 gallon with fake coral decorations and fluorescent lighting.

Sigh.

So whats the verdict on sustainable tang collection out of hawaii. I thought everyone hated the collection of those yellows, or is it not that big of a deal? I remember that was one statement made on the show. did Justin say that or one of the dudes?

Justin said that, and i laughed at that.

Hopefully they're not like the idiot that was a guest on Marth Stewart saying the average salt water fish tank costs over $4000.

It was a 55 gallon with fake coral decorations and fluorescent lighting.

Sigh.

Bahahahaha. I have to see that. :lol:

"I get a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with... uh... regular tap water, add a little dechlorinater in it, and uh... add the salt slowly -- you wanna add the salt mixture slowly."

Peehee! :P

There is actually nothing wrong with that, plus nobody would know what RO/DI water is if he mentioned it there. The video isn't that bad, I mean it is for FOWLR and the pricing is for a custom made acrylic tank and stand. Now if he was talking about reefs, which I feel he has no clue about, then I would be with everyone attacking the heck out of everything they said.

There is actually nothing wrong with that, plus nobody would know what RO/DI water is if he mentioned it there. The video isn't that bad, I mean it is for FOWLR and the pricing is for a custom made acrylic tank and stand. Now if he was talking about reefs, which I feel he has no clue about, then I would be with everyone attacking the heck out of everything they said.

I misquoted him kind of badly on some of the details. It had been a while since I saw it.

He said $30,000.

$30,000. How many people changed the channel once they heard that?

I misquoted him kind of badly on some of the details. It had been a while since I saw it.

He said $30,000.

$30,000. How many people changed the channel once they heard that?

Oh okay, I couldn't hear what price he said and went with what you stated earlier. Yeah, that's about 25000 too much. I like how he had the fish in ADA tanks with no heater or water movement and what looked like cheap Coralife CFL fixtures. But truthfully, no one who watches that show would know what RO/DI is or how to take care of a reef tank. He talked a little about the nitrogen cycle and aimed it more towards those less technical. He even stumbled when trying to dumb down the process, so keep ragging on him because he makes bank installing these tanks for people who have whatever your salary to blow on something they could do at a tenth of the price.

I was not so much refering to how many fish will die in that program so much as the consequence of some newbies watching the snow and buying what ever they suggest. If I was new to saltwater and was watching some of their video I would maybe be tempted to buy a group or small blue hippo tangs and put it in my 30 gallons tank. I bet a lot of people will make big mistakes following their advise.

NItrogen cycle might be boring to people but it is essential. YOu are right about people doing bad things out of ignorance, and this program is not going to help in any way, quite the opposite.

I would not say that that many animals will be directly affected through their bad treatment. In this case, any "reality" show on saltwater tanks will probably cause people to impulse buy without research. I really don't think it matters if it shows good practices such as waiting for a tank to cycle or not - a lot of these things are about instant gratification and not caring about "the rules" even if you are aware of them. Even so, if you learn all you know about aquariums from a TV show, even it's telling you all the right things, it's doubtful you are going to succeed without further research. Let's be honest, as has already been stated, a show on the nitrogen cycle would be considered pretty boring by most people :\ Hopefully people will research if it sparks an interest in them. I guess I don't like the idea of a show on aquariums in general when we have the internet (especially youtube)

That being said, I do not like the way they treated the fish. I have no idea why they felt the need to pull the snowflakes and cowfish out of the water when they are easier to observe under water when they aren't all shiny. However, I don't think they are purposefully trying to treat the fish badly or treat them as cash. Normal people don't go out of their way to kill or hurt animals - it's usually done out of ignorance. -_- Hopefully something is going on behind the scenes that we can't see.

so keep ragging on him because he makes bank installing these tanks for people who have whatever your salary to blow on something they could do at a tenth of the price.

Oh, no no no. Don't make assumptions.

I wasn't ragging on him or putting him down whatsoever for how much he charges, or even his verbage. What I thought was stupid, was the idea he was putting in the minds of a naive viewer that a "medium sized" saltwater tank costs in the ballpark of $30,000. Oh, and that putting an aquarium in your wall is going to cost $100,000.

I mean, that's a lot of dough. 99.5% of the general population would *never* be able to afford that.

Maybe I'm selfish, but I want many, many more people in this hobby. Then things will become slightly cheaper and easier to get ahold of. This ultimately makes my aquatic life easier.

If it were me on the show, I would have said:

"A custom made aquarium such as this can cost upwards of $30,000, but small commercially available units can be purchased and up and running for as cheap as a couple hundred dollars. You can spend what you want from two hundred to two hundred thousand."

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm going to go pour tap water in a bucket along with some dechlorinater from the grocery store's pet isle. I will be sure to add the salt EXTRA slow, and I'll make sure the tap water has added fluoride.

28g nano noob
Thank you for your thoughts. I'm going to go pour tap water in a bucket along with some dechlorinater from the grocery store's pet isle. I will be sure to add the salt EXTRA slow, and I'll make sure the tap water has added fluoride.

lmfao im dieing right now :haha: oh yeah and dont forget to buy the special salt from pet smart haha

lmfao im dieing right now :haha: oh yeah and dont forget to buy the special salt from pet smart haha

He either got sued or cut a check for that. :P

28g nano noob
He either got sued or cut a check for that. :P

ya you ant kidding i really feel bad for the fish amazing that tank he had set up cost 40k i bet it cost not even 3k to build lol

It really does appear that he's hovering in the 80% or more profit range, if he's really charging 30k for that.

And ps, I love your sig. Dude is my hero...got his MD from Tulane in NOLA.

28g nano noob
It really does appear that he's hovering in the 80% or more profit range, if he's really charging 30k for that.

And ps, I love your sig. Dude is my hero...got his MD from Tulane in NOLA.

haha yeah mr chow just runs $h!t lol and yeah u ant kidding for 40k id have me another muscle car and a tank that takes up a whole wall in my house with random $1500+ fish

Archived