inTank Media Baskets

Tanked!

wartskin

It's similar to how people get annoyed by the term "False Percula" (which is understandable).

Thank you! At least somebody understands. <_<

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting discussion :happy: You have a point - why does it bother me? Upon reflection, I suppose the following:

They are not Nemos; they're clownfish, and that should be *hopefully* easy to understand. If the kids/parents don't even know what it is they're buying, they won't be able to take care of it - plain and simple. That and...the repetition gets a little annoying. :P It's similar to how people get annoyed by the term "False Percula" (which is understandable).

There's nothing wrong with wanting something unique. At all. I don't look down on people who listen to under ground bands - I look down on those who stop liking them because when they become popular (if they truly stay the same). I run a small online jewelry shop where I sell rings in precious metals, and I can honestly tell you that *most* people who order do not want one of my "generic" rings available. They want something that sets them apart from everyone else, be it a fancy (colored) diamond or uncommon metal. I suppose it gives them sort of an identity or at least makes them feel special. That's a bit of the reason why I also think Picasso Clownfish and Snowflake Clownfish are so popular - no two are the same.

Not ratting on clownfish - I think they're adorable, hardy, and have an excellent personality - but I think there are better fish out there. Clownfish are still damselfish - they are not always so welcoming to new additions and, when they're kept in spawning mated pairs, they can carve out a huge territory. Additionally, they can grow very large, especially for the sizes of tanks they are put in. True - once they start hosting, they don't always move a lot. But regardless, they still have a high bioload and just seem out of place (to me) in a nano tank. Despite being generally "bulletproof," they also have a downfall: Brooklynella. There are plenty of other options, some commonly available, that make just as good aquarium candidates IMO.

That's just my take on clownfish...no offense intended :happy:

If you want to get technical they are not named clownfish. that is a nickname given to them so people who cant pronounce their scientific name. the false percula thing is more elitism. A name is like speed, its all relative. I don't understand why people even care what something is called. if you don't like that name than call it what you want, but if you aren't saying the scientific name you are getting it wrong too.

I believe we all want something unique , and that's why a lot of us get clowns. I would like to see you try to name one other fish that shows symbiosis like the clowns. the only other one I can think of is cleaner fish, but you would have to watch the tank for a good while to see its partnership. I don't care if people want to have a "unique" fish ( which is also a relative word) but don't tell me that one fish is more unique.

Why does one fish have to be better than the other? I could say the same thing about 6 line wrasse, but I don't tell people who own them that their fish is boring. you could say FW fish are boring but I love every freshy I have.

If you want to get technical they are not named clownfish. that is a nickname given to them so people who cant pronounce their scientific name. the false percula thing is more elitism. A name is like speed, its all relative. I don't understand why people even care what something is called. if you don't like that name than call it what you want, but if you aren't saying the scientific name you are getting it wrong too.

I believe we all want something unique , and that's why a lot of us get clowns. I would like to see you try to name one other fish that shows symbiosis like the clowns. the only other one I can think of is cleaner fish, but you would have to watch the tank for a good while to see its partnership. I don't care if people want to have a "unique" fish ( which is also a relative word) but don't tell me that one fish is more unique.

Why does one fish have to be better than the other? I could say the same thing about 6 line wrasse, but I don't tell people who own them that their fish is boring. you could say FW fish are boring but I love every freshy I have.

We were talking about clownfish in general. When I said the False Percula part, I meant that they should be called Perculas and Ocellaris - the last part of their scientific name. No elitism there. By the way -

Shrimp gobies :D

I never said clownfish were the worst. But I do think there are more "suitable" fish for some tanks.

I want to see a show called 'Pimp my tank' where they put a fish tank inside of a fish tank with a LCD tv in it.

Yo dawg I heard you like fish tanks so I put a fish tank in your fish tank so you can own fish while you own fish

We were talking about clownfish in general. When I said the False Percula part, I meant that they should be called Perculas and Ocellaris - the last part of their scientific name. No elitism there. By the way -

Shrimp gobies :D

I never said clownfish were the worst. But I do think there are more "suitable" fish for some tanks.

I just think that names should be left up to the person speaking. if you think it should be something different than you should call it that, but dont act like their doing it wrong because they use a different word. I am a comedian so i think that all words are fare game, and never put someone down fore using one over the other, except when someone uses the first letter of a word to get around a "bad word"

And you got me on the shrimp goby, I wish I had thought of it, I might not look so stupid right now. ok name two :lol:

I just think that names should be left up to the person speaking. if you think it should be something different than you should call it that, but dont act like their doing it wrong because they use a different word. I am a comedian so i think that all words are fare game, and never put someone down fore using one over the other, except when someone uses the first letter of a word to get around a "bad word"

And you got me on the shrimp goby, I wish I had thought of it, I might not look so stupid right now. ok name two :lol:

Pom pom crabs and their anemones

Cleaner wrasse, neon gobies, and some juvenile wrasse and other fish

Whip gobies and gorgonians

Decorator crabs and general "decor" (coral, etc.)

Emperor shrimp and sea cucumbers

Clingfish and urchins

Anemone carrying hermit crabs

(Sexy or Pederson's or Spotted) Anemone shrimp and corallimorphs

Anglerfish and fluorescent bacteria

Cleaner shrimp and other fish (mainly eels)

Pygmy seahorses and gorgonians

Cardinalfish and urchins

Pipefish and sea grass

Black-marble jawfish and mimic octopus

There are soooo many things that exhibit symbiosis that it's not even funny :huh: Many can be kept in aquariums and exhibit their natural behavior, too. By the way, I agree with you on common names being "fare game" (ironic...lol)...the "false percula" thing was just an example. However, I don't recall "Nemo" being the common name of any clownfish. :|

The difference is that you had a rude, obnoxious tone while *he* is just being logical. :happy:

Its all in how you read em... :D try reading them in a nicer tone lol its funny to me cause people will call me after a txt and ask me why iam I so pissed off.... I tell em to read it in a happy voice quit thinking iam mad all the time

New episode tonight?

HecticDialectics
The difference is that you had a rude, obnoxious tone while *he* is just being logical. :happy:

No the difference was that in our argument you were wrong. lol

Then you acted like you didn't want to post "off-topic" to avoid admitting you were wrong.

Its all in how you read em... :D try reading them in a nicer tone lol its funny to me cause people will call me after a txt and ask me why iam I so pissed off.... I tell em to read it in a happy voice quit thinking iam mad all the time

:lol: So true.

No the difference was that in our argument you were wrong. lol

Then you acted like you didn't want to post "off-topic" to avoid admitting you were wrong.

:lol: So true.

:\ Obviously your tone wasn't so nice if you called it an argument yourself

Argument: An exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one

Debate: Argue about (a subject), esp. in a formal manner

Being that it was, you didn't offer me any back-up information - where is my population check as I asked? I provided multiple links and you only really refuted one - and for that one all you really said was "No he's wrong because he wants attention," to which I said "I trust him more than an average hobbyist because it's his job"...and that was it. Your posts were simply full of rude sarcasm:

Lemme know when they're actually endangered...

Clownfish, quite simply, are not endangered.

So far you've just proved to be wrong. :lol:

Would that be similar to how the world's largest and most successful tank manufacturer would know more than a run-of-the-mill hobbyist such as yourself? :lol: :lol:

And that's where I ended it because there is no sense in debating without *logical, justified* opposition - and quite frankly, I'd rather not bother debating with someone whose posts I can't help but read as overall rude/sarcastic in an unfunny matter. Unless you have something like, again, a population check to post...I'd rather you not respond to me :huh:

Pom pom crabs and their anemones

Cleaner wrasse, neon gobies, and some juvenile wrasse and other fish

Whip gobies and gorgonians

Decorator crabs and general "decor" (coral, etc.)

Emperor shrimp and sea cucumbers

Clingfish and urchins

Anemone carrying hermit crabs

(Sexy or Pederson's or Spotted) Anemone shrimp and corallimorphs

Anglerfish and fluorescent bacteria

Cleaner shrimp and other fish (mainly eels)

Pygmy seahorses and gorgonians

Cardinalfish and urchins

Pipefish and sea grass

Black-marble jawfish and mimic octopus

There are soooo many things that exhibit symbiosis that it's not even funny :huh: Many can be kept in aquariums and exhibit their natural behavior, too. By the way, I agree with you on common names being "fare game" (ironic...lol)...the "false percula" thing was just an example. However, I don't recall "Nemo" being the common name of any clownfish. :|

I should have made it more specific. I meant that you can see the symbiosis in clowns with out really knowing what your looking at. a lot of the ones you mentioned would be hard to notice the symbiosis, and some of them aren't even fish. the clowns symbiosis is clear cut and you know that it loves the nem it is in. As for the nemo thing. clownfish is just the name we have accepted. you never know, in 100 years we might be calling them nemo clowns. Does anyone actually get as upset if a person names their clown nemo? I dont hear anyone complaining when someone in a LFS calls a fish "that colorful one". :lol:

Go watch repo man if you really need to see some fake-assed, trashy reality tv show tonight.

i REALLY hate reality TV, however this is the least trashy reality TV Ive seen. Never watched Repo man.

I watched 15 minutes of it last week. God was it bad. It took about 30 seconds of watching for my girlfriend to say what I was thinking; "do they really expect us to believe this is real..?"

Anyone know if the phone booth tank on e-bay got sold?

But theirs no fish on repo man?

No, But the fat gal on there does remind me of a whale...... :lol:

Archived