Coral Vue Hydros

Howl's Mushroom Forest

nathanq.inc

nathanq.inc

Might need to get myself a pair of forceps then and some silver side! does silver side have any other names? in Scotland we have silver side beef but I've never heard of any silver side fish...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nathanq.inc

P1100879.jpg

It might be ready to eat something now!! haha

can't believe I just posted my anemone's jobby... this hobby seriously takes hold of you in ways you'd never imagine... it's like a weird addiction lol.

nathanq.inc

I'm calling it Grips after the band death grips and the fact that hopefully it'll live up to his name and tomorrow munch up some food for me!

nathanq.inc

Still no luck getting the anemone to eat. Put some squid on it today, didn't react to it at all, however when my peppermint shrimp came along to steal the food the anemone shrimp nearly ate it! Closed up pretty quickly and I could see the shrimp struggling with how sticky the anemone was. Might buy some live river shrimp to feed him.

Do you think this would be ok? I reckon the river shrimp is about 1 1/2 to 2 inch in size and the anemone is about 6 inch fully expanded.

Sounds like you have a maxi that likes to eat live stuff :lol: I think it would be totally ok. They eat whole fish without problems.

You could also try holding the squid with tweezers and gently brushing the meat against the maxi. Trick it into thinking it's alive!

nathanq.inc

It ate! Frozen mysis river shrimps. I thought it would eat more like the shrooms and cup around the food but it just sort of squished itself up and moved the shrimp into its mouth, didn't even have to fend off howl or calcifer (just stuffed them to bursting before hand) lol. I think I'll get up some pictures tonight.

nathanq.inc

P1100897.jpg

Up close and personal with Mr Kenyan Tree (or KT for short). He survived his ordeal with my hammer coral, phew.

P1100896.jpg

New rhodactis shroom, settling in amongst the giant green ones, hope he colours up a bit more!

P1100894.jpg

Bambinos beginning to show some colour and get bigger.

P1100890.jpg

Sticky Duncan tentacles

P1100888.jpg

The incredibly sexy carpet.

P1100877.jpg

Alien Hammer colours!! lol... but see that shrivelled shroom? it turned into a brown mushy mess and died, so I had to shuffle things about to prevent any more foul play.

Builder Anthony

careful with the musy brown mess it can spread very very quicky and devour your tank.Get every speck of it out.

nathanq.inc

Don't worry, I did. I have had it wipe out a whole colony of green mushrooms before! I think this brown mushie mess was because of the hammer coral stinging it though and melting it away. None the less I took no chances! thanks for the advice :)

nathanq.inc

IMG_6530.jpg

She might not be in my fish tank but she provides a whole lot of inspiration - Grimes.

photo.jpg

Some more influence - Arab Strap

I'm assuming you are the guy on the left in both photos? :)

Have you found anymore awesome mushrooms to add to your tank?

nathanq.inc

yeh that's me, sporting a beard haha. Nup not yet, I'm waiting on zoaphoria to get a new delivery in and I'll snap up some of their special mushies. I'm thinking of going for some red ones and whatever these ones are

mush487.jpg

and maybe some green ones, not rhodactis greens, just disco's.

You got anymore shrooms?

• 2 weeks later...
nathanq.inc

P1100930.jpg

P1100929.jpg

New tank shots... LOL. My mum and my gran are pretty nifty at cake making! They even got Sosuke's half stripe :)

nathanq.inc

May 2012 Tank Update

FTS

FTSMay12.jpg

Upset Duncan (has been like this for a few days now)

Duncan2May12.jpg

DuncanMay12.jpg

The shrimps (I think Calcifer has been munching on some zoanthid polyps grrr)

CalciferMay12.jpg

HowlMay12.jpg

ZoanthidsMay12.jpg

GSP (growth has exploded and the tips are starting to really curl into spirals at some points which is amazing looking)

GreenStarPolypMay12.jpg

Mushrooms! (my favourites)

RhodactisBubblyMay12.jpg

GreenrhodactisMay12.jpg

GreenandWhiteMushroomMay12.jpg

NewRhodactisredMay12.jpg

Sosuke in his bed (the hammer has stopped his stressing since Mononoke started leaving him alone and took on the GSP)

SosukeHammer2May12.jpg

Mononoke (looking fat or full of eggz!!)

Mononoke.jpg

Mononoke2.jpg

I can only count 9 dorsal fins?? This is the first time I have noticed this. Is this not more in tune with a percula? rather than an Ocellaris which should have more? I have always assumed both my clownfish were O'clowns... could I have been mistaken??

Oh...I've missed a lot in here!!!!! Happy belated birthday!!!!! LOVE that cake. How sweet!!!! I love that they did the half stripe too :happy:

That red mushroom is beautiful. Did you get it?

The tank is looking fantastic!!!!!! I don't know about the dorsal fin count, but they look more like ocellaris to me.

I've only added some new mushrooms to my macro tank. Not much going on, as far as new stuff, in the nano-cube.

nathanq.inc

Thank you! I never got the red mushroom but now that I have birthday money that may change haha.

I have always thought that they look like Ocellaris as well but I read in few places that Ocellaris have 11 spines, sometimes 10 and Percula have 10 spines, sometimes 9 Ocellaris vs Percula.

Yeh I say those mushrooms! very lovely :)

(I did a very close up shot and numbered the spines and Mononoke has 10 and Sosuke has 11 so I guess they are Ocellaris! :))

I like the new sig too!!!! You take great photos!!!!

I see your maxi in the FTS. Is it still eating well for you?

nathanq.inc

Thanks! I do a lot of photography for my work so I get to borrow their camera sometimes and a good cam always help :).

Yes he is! He's due a feed tomorrow. How's you maxi's doing? Mine's in quite a hard position to get a decent shot of. Oh and my Duncan opened fully after the photo shoot, think he likes his new position nearer the front away from the maxi, must have been getting annoyed by him.

How's the sexies doing? Could you give me some feeding tips? IS new stored opened up and they have them for £6 so I'm very tempted to get some, probably three.

Thanks! I do a lot of photography for my work so I get to borrow their camera sometimes and a good cam always help :).

Yes he is! He's due a feed tomorrow. How's you maxi's doing? Mine's in quite a hard position to get a decent shot of. Oh and my Duncan opened fully after the photo shoot, think he likes his new position nearer the front away from the maxi, must have been getting annoyed by him.

How's the sexies doing? Could you give me some feeding tips? IS new stored opened up and they have them for £6 so I'm very tempted to get some, probably three.

My 6 maxis are doing great! They are so easy :)

Sexies are all great too. You don't have any zoanthid/palys, right? I think sexies would work great in your tank. They are known to eat zoa skirts, just a heads up. I guess they can pick on other corals as well, but Ive only experienced the zoas skirt eating. I feed mine bits of shrimp and new spectrum pellets. They mostly like to eat the detritus on the macros though.

You should get some :)

nathanq.inc

I do have some zoa's and paly's which was the only thing I was worried about but I guess if I can keep them well fed they should do just fine!

ScubaEthan

Oh my goodness! I've been talking about my next tank and how I want to do a "mushroom experiment" and here you are with a 10g mushroom tank! I plan to use CF bulbs and simple hang-on-the-back filtration. I already have a regular 10g tank and am just waiting until I move in a few months. Your tank is looking dark and mysterious and I mean that in the best way possible, aka you have succeeded at the "mushroom forest." Keep up the good work!

Archived