SaltCritters.com

She's topless!

Wet_Fretboards

Wet_Fretboards

I quickly grew tired of the top on my Fluval EDGE, and decided to remove it. Here is what I did.

Before I removed the top glass I wanted to make sure I had a lighting arrangement that I could implement at least for a while. I went to Lowes and grabbed a stick of PVC, a couple of elbows, and a cap.

IMG_20110726_091112.jpg

Here is what I came up with. This'll work just fine. :D

IMG_20110726_093755.jpg

I mounted It to the original Fluval base using conduit straps and screws.

IMG_20110726_093747.jpg

So, I siphoned down, and removed the top with a razor blade. Anyone wanna guess what that is on the glass?

IMG_20110726_094629.jpg

Ouch! :P It's OK, I'm a paramedic... HAHA.

IMG_20110726_094641.jpg

Anyway, back to it, and this is the result.

IMG_20110726_111947.jpg

IMG_20110726_111937.jpg

IMG_20110726_113514.jpg

And a video for the shimmer effect that makes a reef tank IMO.

Well, that's all for now. Thanks for watching!

Randy

Not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed by your pictures. I was expecting something else :naughtydance:

But seriously, it looks good.

digitalfreq

I considered doing this as well. But I opted to buy a bigger AIO tank and sold the Edge.

What are you using for lighting?

Looks great! Good job!

looks good.. now is there a way to stop my cat from grabbing a snack? :) the girlfriend would kill me if i made her go topless...

But When i get the proper light setup my 40b will be going topless

Wet_Fretboards
I considered doing this as well. But I opted to buy a bigger AIO tank and sold the Edge.

What are you using for lighting?

Looks great! Good job!

I took the light "arm" apart and made some mounts inside the top piece to mount the fixture to. I didn't get too permanent because I may be adding more shortly.

IMG_20110726_123357.jpg

IMG_20110726_123305.jpg

Wet_Fretboards
looks much better without the top on. It will be so much easier for you now.

Good job.

I think so too. Working in there was a nightmare. And you can hang catching a fish in it with the top on.

Wet_Fretboards
Looks very nice

Your not worried about increased evaporation ?

Nah. IMO the benefits far out weigh that problem.

Looks great. I got a fluval edge with a cracked top and did the same thing. I put a rapid led par38 over it and love it. There is a lot of evaporation, but that's what an ATO is for :). I like how you used the existing light over it.

• 1 month later...
Wet_Fretboards
is that a fishneedit pendant? and I'm guessing you are going to add a chiller?

Yes, it is. No chiller needed. Temperature stays put at 79.

what size is your magfloat. I have a AP24 and I need to get a new mag float. as my large size is wayy too big and powerful to easily work with.

I was thinking the small but I don't know...

Wet_Fretboards
what size is your magfloat. I have a AP24 and I need to get a new mag float. as my large size is wayy too big and powerful to easily work with.

I was thinking the small but I don't know...

I think its the nano... Can't remember.

how are the PVC holding up? do they warp and bend over time? thinking of doing the same thing but im afraid they will bend

It held up just fine. It was schedule 40, so it was pretty stout. Plus, with a length that short, it would take some leverage to bend it.

Wet_Fretboards
Looks good! Good call with the MH. Is that the stock bulb you're using?

Thanks. Yeah it's their 20000k, which I had read was more like 14000, which is what I want. I figured I'd get a few months out of it before I buy an astralux. The corals are so much happier and more vivid under this thing.

Looks good I did this to my edge also, cleaning the lid isn't worth the hastel, I also added a 404 canister filter for overkill filtration/flow and a sleeker look

Archived