Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

DHaut's Barracuda

Deleted User 6

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top-notch tank thread, my friend. Your 'cuda is taking shape nicely.

How do you perform your tiny water changes? Do you just use a cup?

Deleted User 6

Thanks buddy. I have some airline tubing that I use to siphon water out into a big mason jar, lol. Then I add nsw out of a bucket that I mix up about every 2 weeks. It's pretty quick and painless.

Because of the size of the tank, I'm only removing like a 1/4 gallon or so. It's easy.

I don't know that I'd even bother with the siphoning, just dip the jar in, fill to desired level, pour down sink.

Pretty cool though. I love doing WCs on my nano, it doesn't even feel like maintenance compared to the 180.

Deleted User 6

I've tried that and ended up making a mess overflowing the display, plus there's a rock in the way when you dip the jar in. Siphoning is just easier and cleaner w/ this particular setup.

I've tried that and ended up making a mess overflowing the display, plus there's a rock in the way when you dip the jar in. Siphoning is just easier and cleaner w/ this particular setup.

I figured the rock was in the way. Still, a 1 Pint water change, that wouldn't take that long even just using a turkey baster!

Hey saw you were having trouble with the return moving all the sand from that left corner. Have you tried directing the flow upwards at all? It will add evap but should randomize the flow a bit like you wanted from what I read in the thread in the lounge.

Deleted User 6

Yeah, my first try at a solution was to point the return nozzle more upwards. It's blowing water up the far wall and I'm afraid that if I point it further up it will start creating a salt creep problem. Good idea though - I think I'll have to find a different solution.

Lee Van Reef

Why don't you just add a Y elbow to the loc line? If you leave it at just the elbow and not use nozzles, It would be less intrusive.

Deleted User 6

Yeah, that's the plan actually. That or get a Hydor Flo (which I'm not excited about). Just haven't decided exactly what to do.

johnmaloney
dhat is misleading young children and tricking them into viewing his thread.

:lol: Worked on me too.

Looking good, how is life treating you these days?

Deleted User 6

LIfe is good bud. Adjusting to being parents (kid is screaming in the background as I type this, lol). I may need more dwarf ceriths and planaxis from you. I need some serious sand cleaning power.

Deleted User 6
Yeah, that's the plan actually. That or get a Hydor Flo (which I'm not excited about). Just haven't decided exactly what to do.

I just ordered a loc-line splitter. we'll see how that works.

Lee Van Reef
I just ordered a loc-line splitter. we'll see how that works.

Thank god. Hydor deflector things are ugly and stuff

Deleted User 6

Product Review: Nano Box Reef 12" LED Unit

Wanted to share my experiences with a new entrant into the LED world: DaveFason and his Nano Box Reef units. I've been in the hobby close to 4 years now and have used PC, MH, T5, and now LED lighting over my tanks, and I have never been happier with a unit or a lighting type than I am with Dave's 12" LED fixture.

From Dave's site:

"12" Custom CNC Housing

12 Rebel ES LED's

Active Cooling

Nano Box Driver

I also included the Ryujin controller which allows for sunrise/set, clouds, and storms, plus color mixing.

The craftsmanship on this thing is superb. I feel like i could hit it with a hammer and it wouldn't skip a beat (but I'm not trying!). The fan is quiet, and the Rebel LEDs render color better than any I've seen (I've used a couple different Cree LED units over my tanks before - this is way better). Couple pics:

i-mMG4Djx-L.jpg

i-DHstXdS-L.jpg

Reefbuilders did a feature on the units recently: NanoBox 12 LED reef light is a cute little package from NanoBox Reef, and Dave has his own youtube channel with some nice action vids: YouTube - ‪DaveFason's Channel‬‏

I took one vid of my tank with cloud sims. My crappy iphone 3gs camera doesn't do the color changes justice:

th_ce155849.jpg

I highly recommend Dave and his LED units. They are high quality, and his customer service is some of the best in the hobby. A couple more shots under different color mixes:

Cyphastrea ocellina under all blue:

i-v99SJ3p-L.jpg

Cyphastrea ocellina under daylight:

i-sjxwgm2-L.jpg

Blastos during the day:

i-42C3Gx7-L.jpg

Most recent FTS:

i-fff67MC-L.jpg

I hope to get years of use out of this little light. Kudos Dave and thanks.

Deleted User 6

Public Service Announcement: As I do livestock profiles, product reviews, and the like, I'm linking to them in my original post. I plan to keep that updated as an Index to this thread.

Deleted User 6

I don't know how quiet the focus is compared to the 2.8L, but I've never had any problems with it. I've gotten plenty close to finicky subjects without scaring them away:

884858915_SA4y5-L.jpg

I also haven't tried it out in harsh weather conditions, though the build quality is top notch. You might be better off with a Google search for that one.

Archived