ReefCleaners.org

DHaut's Barracuda

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

Top off takes 10 seconds. Water change takes maybe 3 minutes. All-in-all less time than I've ever spent maintaining a tank on a weekly basis. "Low-maintenance" doesn't mean "No maintenance" or "Negligent maintenance". I do the minimum amount I feel is necessary to maintain a healthy environment for my livestock, no more, and certainly no less.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 6
DHaut - Great new thread.

Small H20 changes are best. I cant wait to see this tank in 6-10 months.

-Dave

Thanks man. Your light definitely makes the tank. :)

at 2.12.11 wat light fixture were you useing

It was a cheapo shop fixture from Home Depot with a 100w 6500k CF spiral bulb.

Deleted User 6

Livestock Profile: Cyphastrea ocellina

Cyphastrea ocellina, or the Meteor Shower Cyphastrea, is one of my all-time favorite corals. When colored up, its bright pink polyps against a sharp blue background are a colorful match for the brightest chalices, zoas, or acans out there.

i-sjxwgm2-L.jpg

This LPS coral (though debated to be SPS) has been fairly hardy in my care and has survived several tank changes. It has grown slowly, but steadily over the past year. When I received it, it had tan flesh and light pink polyps. It has since brightened back up to its notable blue and pink, especially in places where the flesh is shaded from the lights. C. ocellina typically prefers a low to medium light environment for full coloration, and medium flow for the best polyp extension.

1012300988_UNfFR-L.jpg

i-BfchQ6J-L.jpg

C. ocellina will accept small particle foods, such as cyclopeeze, oyster eggs, and other filter feeder foods. Regular feedings will assist in coloration and growth. C. ocellina typically grows as a round mass, but does encrust over the rock to form a solid base.

i-WRfc3jH-L.jpg

C. ocellina is a beautiful and bright addition to any tank. Its low light tolerance and hardiness make it an excellent choice for the aquarist looking to branch out from starter corals to the next step up.

i-MhBX7j5-L.jpg

Deleted User 6
These write ups should be added to the Library, or at the very least made a sticky!

Thanks! Just keep checking back. ;)

Nice setup D! im really liking that Cyphastrea ocellina..if you frag it I would buy a piece from you!

Thanks man. It's still pretty small actually. I may try to frag one day, but it's going to be a while. It's a pretty easy coral to find in the hobby though.

Its freaking nice man. Ill link this tank to some friends who could use the interesting service options, daily water change is rock n roll discipline. The tank has every making to attain the lifespan el fab got in the same gallonage.

I tried goni once and had no trouble keeping it but truly by month 2 it nearly killed my whole reef bowl via outbound allelopathy...cuz when I took it out everything rebounded. Lovely corals but chemically Im amazed they do so well in reefs less than five gallons I just had bad luck w em.

do you think the red variant which I had might be more aposematic/allelopathic Ive always wondered. I certainly can't ever try one again and take the risk so I'll watch ya'lls tanks vicariously.

Deleted User 6
do you think the red variant which I had might be more aposematic/allelopathic Ive always wondered. I certainly can't ever try one again and take the risk so I'll watch ya'lls tanks vicariously.

Thanks brandon. I've never had the red variant so I couldn't really say. The two frags that I have haven't seemed to cause any issues though, and I've never heard of any kind of allelopathy with gonis. Not to say it doesn't happen though. I'll keep an eye on them.

Deleted User 6

It's called Red Gracilaria (Gracilaria sp.). I got it from Reefcleaners.org. It's a typical algae used to feed herbivorous fish, but it makes a nice display piece as well.

Deleted User 6
that Cyphastrea is really nice, one of my favorites for sure but hard to figure out where to put it for best PE.

True. The polyps on the top of it don't extend. I can't figure out if it's the flow (it's more direct for those polyps), or the higher lighting, since they get the LEDs full-on.

PE is polyp extension.

positive entropy. naw just jokin I don't know.

Red Grac is nice because it will not infest your tank. I know lots of people that can't even get it to take hold I consider it long term tricky to keep. If thats in there a year from now thats just more rock n roll.

Archived