Top Shelf Aquatics

Hermit crab lifespan

drgolfaholic

drgolfaholic

According to wiki, they could live up to 40 years in the wild but only months as aquarium pets. My BC29 had 5 from the start 8 months ago, and now they seem to have died (maybe dormant under rock) or disappeared. Wondering what's their common lifespan in aquarium?

According to wiki, they could live up to 40 years in the wild but only months as aquarium pets. My BC29 had 5 from the start 8 months ago, and now they seem to have died (maybe dormant under rock) or disappeared. Wondering what's their common lifespan in aquarium?

I have some that I've had since starting the tank about 2 1/2 years ago

1fishmonger
+1 they just get to big and start killing off others

Yeah.. They seem to get bored and just pick on whoever is smallest. Let's see who I can pull out of their shell today! FUN!

ThePhilosopher

So theoretically, my lone hermit crab should live longer than your average aquarium bound hermit? Statistically speaking, of course.

nor_cal_nano

I've got one of my 3 zebra hermits still around since I had my BC29. That was a little over 2.5 years ago.

HecticDialectics

Probably underfed or poor aquarium conditions. Even if you get the hermit-killing hermits, the biggest baddest should have still made it.

nathanq.inc
So theoretically, my lone hermit crab should live longer than your average aquarium bound hermit? Statistically speaking, of course.

The antillean hermit? I've heard they can live for millions of years because they are actually robohermits! Statistically speaking that is (some only live for a few thousand decades).

ThePhilosopher
The antillean hermit? I've heard they can live for millions of years because they are actually robohermits! Statistically speaking that is (some only live for a few thousand decades).

Time to dissect the bugger and see what makes him tick.

They can live a long time in captivity. Ive seen an electric blue hermit bigger than a golf ball. I have never seen another hermit even close to its size before it was pretty intense. The guy said hes had him since the tank was set up 10 years ago.

• 1 year later...

Archived