ReefCleaners.org

Paigee's 20L Extravaganza!

Paigee

Oh hush, I go for weeks with no responses in my thread (which you haven't visited, by the way ...).

So your tank looks awesome, I love the pics and it all looks really healthy. The mushroom eating is very awesome, I've noticed some interesting behaviour with mine too, particularly the ricordeas, but haven't seen them actually eat yet.

And now I just bumped your thread for you, so it will definitely get more visitors and comments.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so I'm thinking of switching this tank and moving it up to a 20L, because I have a standard 29 FW that I want to break down.. Black beard algae getting out of control and I won't have enough time for upkeeping 3 tanks (including the 50G that will be at my mom's). I think I would prefer the dimensions of a 20L over a 29 just because of the height...

Any thoughts? The two tanks have the same footprint, the 29 is just 6" taller.

I would be keeping the Boost LED lamps plus I have a Coralife 2x31W fixture from the freshie tank that I would also use, since I have it.

My only concern is if/when I switch the tanks, I will obviously need more LR. How would I go about adding more without cycle? Or would I just have to do lots of water changes? Or... Help! Haha

Nothing to report other than I've definitely decided on doing a 20L transfer... And my brain looks particularly puffy today.

Would still love any and all advice on how to go about transferring/adding more rock, and just a hello :)

Good decision on the 20L. If you want to add more uncycled rock to your display then you should cycle it separately.

Heres what i do...

Use 5 gallon bucket and place rock that needs to be cycled inside.

Perform a water change on the main display and and use the waste water to cycle the live rock.

Add a powerhead to the bucket and then just let it be for a few weeks(If possible leave the bucket in darkness as light will promote algae growth on the rocks) Test the water in the bucket for nitrite and ammonia and once you have 0 readings for both then its safe to add to your display.

These same instructions apply if you would like to add additional sand to your display that isnt from an established system...

Hope that helps

Group shot with a little distortion towards the bottom because of the angle of the camera

P1040131.jpg?t=1314601121

dude can't wait to see this grow out, its gonna be awesome!

Well, well, looks like all the cool kids are upgrading tanks B)

You should use the 29 as a sump and partition a quarter of it as an ~5 gallon ATO, just a thought. Your tank is looking great as ever!

Good decision on the 20L. If you want to add more uncycled rock to your display then you should cycle it separately.

Heres what i do...

Use 5 gallon bucket and place rock that needs to be cycled inside.

Perform a water change on the main display and and use the waste water to cycle the live rock.

Add a powerhead to the bucket and then just let it be for a few weeks(If possible leave the bucket in darkness as light will promote algae growth on the rocks) Test the water in the bucket for nitrite and ammonia and once you have 0 readings for both then its safe to add to your display.

These same instructions apply if you would like to add additional sand to your display that isnt from an established system...

Hope that helps

Thanks that is helpful! I'm thinking what I'll do is get the 20L set up (I already have the space and stand, just need to get rid of 29G and replace with 20L) and cycle the rock/sand in the tank, then add the stuff from the 10G. I'm thinking I will use base rock instead to save on costs... Should I still follow the same procedure?

Thanks a lot :)

dude can't wait to see this grow out, its gonna be awesome!

Thanks! I can't wait to see how it turns out too :D

Well, well, looks like all the cool kids are upgrading tanks B)

You should use the 29 as a sump and partition a quarter of it as an ~5 gallon ATO, just a thought. Your tank is looking great as ever!

I would, but there is no way the 29 would fit under the stand. Best I could do would be use the 10 as a sump, but I don't want to drill the tank. I've looked into an HOB over flow though... Thoughts?

Thanks for the replies everyone :D

Set the 29 behind the stand :)

HoB overflows work just fine. I have one on my 75 and will be using one on the 40. They don't really detract from the look inside the tank, it's just outside that doesn't look as streamlined, but it looks 10x better than power filters and junk hanging off the back. I don't want to drill it myself, I just know with my luck I would crack the tank and the only lfs around that drills I refuse to do business with.

Thanks that is helpful! I'm thinking what I'll do is get the 20L set up (I already have the space and stand, just need to get rid of 29G and replace with 20L) and cycle the rock/sand in the tank, then add the stuff from the 10G. I'm thinking I will use base rock instead to save on costs... Should I still follow the same procedure?

Thanks a lot :)

No problem. You should follow the same procedure with base rock however the cycle will be much shorter.

Set the 29 behind the stand :)

HoB overflows work just fine. I have one on my 75 and will be using one on the 40. They don't really detract from the look inside the tank, it's just outside that doesn't look as streamlined, but it looks 10x better than power filters and junk hanging off the back. I don't want to drill it myself, I just know with my luck I would crack the tank and the only lfs around that drills I refuse to do business with.

The 29 will def not fit behind the stand, there is a brick wall there :P I have the stand on a hearth so I can't really move it out from the wall. I'll think about an HOB overflow though with a 10G sump :)

Coral 911 - my brain is dying! The skeleton is receding and it's sliming! I tested my water, no ammonia or nitrates. Salinity was slightly high, 1.27 and is normally 1.25, so I fixed that. Any other suggestions?! I haven't changed anything lately, and all other corals and fish are doing fine!

Help!

Are you running carbon or any kind of chemical media? My paly rock slimes up when I move it and it causes all of my zoos to close, running carbon pulls that out of the water.

I have carbon running in my Subcurrent filter... I don't know what to do. I feel bad, I don't know what happened to it :( I haven't seen it since yesterday but I have a feeling it won't be good.

Hmmm, hopefully it will bounce back. If it makes you feel better, I'm counting 26 open zoas on that rock that experienced the huge die out. Came back from 4 polyps, yours will come back too!

I've heard that as long as brain corals have even a tiny bit of flesh left on the skeleton that they can still bounce back. I'm pulling for ya, I hope he makes it!

:tears: I'm sorry. I know it's discouraging but don't let it get you down! Just focus on the rest of your amazing coral you have, let it grow, build your confidence back and try again when you feel ready.

Thanks guys! I've decided to just let the tank do its thing until I can complete the transfer to the 20L. Don't want to put more things through stress than I have to, and I figure it will make the transfer easier to move less stuff!!

Nothing to report, other than Gilbert was much happier after I removed the dead skeleton, I think he didn't like how it slimed and it scared him :( haha but he eats like a best, especially loves NLS small fish pellets, he goes nuts for em. My hermie has murdered another snail to steal its shell, but there are no more larger snails so he's SOL if he needs a bigger one...

Archived