Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Paigee's 20L Extravaganza!

Paigee

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dun dun dun.... The day we've all been waiting for....

FISH! omgomgomg

I got my firefish today :) Picked him up along with a mushroom rock and a nice little red and lime green open brain. Still figuring out final placement for things. Temp acclimated the mushies and did a quick freshwater dip, same for the brain (minus fresh dip).

Drip acclimated the fish for about an hour, very carefully transferred with a 1 cup measuring cup (that has only been used for fish keeping) and promptly put on my temp glass cover, and secured all the back holes where the glass didn't cover with tinfoil! There is no way I'm losing this fish to the carpet.

I realllyyyy see what people mean about these fish being jumpers. If I hadn't used a clothespin to hold the bag closed around the airline tube, I would have lost the fish within 5 minutes. If I hadn't had the glass cover on, same thing, tried to jump within five minutes.

While I was cleaning up my mess from acclimation, I look in and can't find the fish anywhere! I knew there was NO WAY it had jumped out (I even taped the tinfoil down -_- ) but I'm pleased to find that he has found a home in a cave under a rock. The opening is off the sand bed about a quarter of an inch high, but I think it opens up a little more underneath. I've seen him poke his head out a few times, even swim all the way out a couple times, but only for about 30 seconds. The lights are currently off, only light is ambient room light as well as spill over from the FW tank next to it.

Also picked up a refractometer, happy to find my hydrometer was spot on. Sitting at 1.25. Also got some Tunze Coral Fix epoxy... It says that it must set in a "seperate vessel" for 4-6 hours... Does this mean it is unsafe for intank use? I was really wanting to epoxy something underwater to a piece of LR I can't really remove.

I have a few pics (because I know you all are so impatient!) I only had the lights on for a minute. Enjoy :)

New green mushies (dunno what kind)

P1040118.jpg?t=1314228679

Bonus - brain and firefish in one!

P1040114.jpg?t=1314228742

FTS

P1040120.jpg?t=1314228803

And view of my ghetto top that keeps Mr. Firefish from carpet surfing

P1040121.jpg?t=1314228889

Great looking mushies and yay you finally got your fish :):happydance:

And hey, it might look ghetto now, but I think I read somewhere you were going to make a net top? So that will look real good :)

Yeah I do plan on trying to make a net top. Just gotta figure out how to get it around the lights that are clamped on the back :P

Happy to report that the firefish has not only ventured out of his hole, but is readily eating both frozen mysis as well as New Life Spectrum small fish pellets. It's been nearly half an hour and the firefish has only gone into his hole a few times for about 10 seconds each, other than that has been swimming and searching for food! :)

I seem to be spamming my own thread but that's ok...

Thoughts on this stocking -

Firefish

Neon goby

Cleaner shrimp

Yes? Or what other small gobies are there? Eviota gobies I think they're called?

I got a yellow clown goby recently and they are tiny, but cute!

Tank looks really nice, love the green mushrooms, bet they look great under blue light.

I seem to be spamming my own thread but that's ok...

Thoughts on this stocking -

Firefish

Neon goby

Cleaner shrimp

Yes? Or what other small gobies are there? Eviota gobies I think they're called?

Panda Goby!!!!

Nothing much is new, firefish still doing well, hangs out more. It's frustrating trying to feed him, because he'll eat what he sees, but it's almost like he's blind because he misses so much of it! Def need to up my cleaning crew to make up for everything the fish doesn't eat. It doesn't matter if I leave the pumps on or off either. He seems to like it better if I feed with pumps on so food whooshes by him.

Also, I have named him Gilbert :P

Corals are also doing well, trying to work up the nerve to epoxy some of the ones that are on rubble down, but that just seems so permanent hehe

PS -I also just realized that compared to that pic I posted of the new mushie rock, it has opened up SO much! Also found some different colored mushies on the bottom, as well as a blood red feather duster growing on the rock!

Good to hear!

Corals are also doing well, trying to work up the nerve to epoxy some of the ones that are on rubble down, but that just seems so permanent hehe

I don't know about epoxy but if you use super glue gel it's pretty easy to undo. I was worried about permanency as well but I finally glued down my sympodium because I have a hermit who found it amusing to topple it every chance he got. I recently changed it's location and it just took a firm, but gentle pull to separate it.

Ok I'll try that next! I used epoxy on rubble with my hornet zoas on it because I was certain where I wanted that, but I have some super glue I'll try on my frogspawn frag because I might change my mind on that one.

Got any good tips on getting the frag off the fragplug? I have some one huge ugly white ones... I got a zoa frag off with a hammer and chisel, but I'm afraid to do that with the frogspawn, I don't want to hurt it...

Also....

I've been thinking about something.

It involves a larger tank... With less fresh water and more saltwater....

:eek:

Hmm not sure what's wrong but Gilbert (the firefish) hardly even poked his head out tonight. He didn't eat anything (that I saw) :scarry:

Did you check your params? If they are fine I wouldn't worry just yet.

As for frag plugs, the Frogspawn should be able to be pried off. Another option would be to cut/break/snap/what have you around it, just making the plug smaller without removing it. B)

Haven't checked params yet, going to when I get home. I figure they couldn't be that out of whack because all corals are doing well, opening as usual, even the one that I just epoxied down (I was expecting it to be super pissed for a day or two).

I'll check tonight before I do a water change. Plus I'm thinking a water change will help. I had the water mixed last night but the salinity was too high and I didn't have time to mess around with it. I was too tired, worked both jobs yesterday.

I'll give the frag plug thing a shot maybe tomorrow. I have to find my super glue! Everything's all moved around.

Pics or gtfo. :lol:

Pic addict!!!

Haha I'll try and grab some more tonight.. Even though nothing has changed!

Well.. I guess I epoxied the frag and things are more open. I'll try and get some later tonight! Gonna do some work on my other tank before that though.

OK so.... A bunch of successes tonight!! And a TON of pics to go along with it...

Here are some of the pics of corals and fish and such...

A nice pic of my radioactive dragon eyes and other random purple zoos... Shows colour pretty well

P1040125.jpg?t=1314600802

My frogspawn :)

P1040127.jpg?t=1314600862

My blue hornet zoos looking kinda yucky cuz the white light is mainly hitting them... The glass top with condensation distorts the light a lot and spotlights it weirdly :(

P1040129.jpg?t=1314600909

My fuzzy green mushies lookin green and fuzzy and huge

P1040130.jpg?t=1314600976

Brain lookin brainy... It's a little shrunken because I was feeding with a turkey baster and it didn't like the whoosh (the brain is right beside Gilbert's hole)

P1040139.jpg?t=1314601043

Group shot with a little distortion towards the bottom because of the angle of the camera

P1040131.jpg?t=1314601121

GILBERT!! He came out to play (and eat!) today :D

P1040140.jpg?t=1314601182

ANDDDD a really cool side shot, you can see my FW forest in the back ground

P1040135.jpg?t=1314601236

And then I noticed something reallyyyyyy cool.... (see next post)

MY MUSHIE EATING!!!! The green and purple one that is all lonely on the left side... Here is a progression of shots I took

You probably can't see it, but just right of center of the mushie in the curve of his flap there is a New Life Spectrum small pellet that he miraculously caught

P1040150.jpg?t=1314601393

He's reaching his mouth up to grab the pellet...

P1040152.jpg?t=1314601465

He's all curled up, just starting to get his mouth around the pellet...

P1040153.jpg?t=1314601506

Pellet all the way in his mouth, it still is a little enlarged, he's starting to flatten out...

P1040154.jpg?t=1314601558

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! He is almost returned to normal

P1040155.jpg?t=1314601613

So this is basically the coolest thing I've ever seen! I was freaking out watching, my boyfriend looked at me like I was on glue... But that's ok. I described it as reverse pooping!

Archived