Cultivated Reef

Paigee's 20L Extravaganza!

Paigee

I think I'm gonna go without for a couple months and see how it goes. If I can't get a handle on the nutrient export with water changes, I might look into it. I think eventually I will definitely get one, just for extra volume, but that will come as I stock the tank more. For the first while when there isn't much in it, I'll keep it simple :)

I might try and devise a gravity fed ATO however, I read about one recently and thought it sounded interesting!

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I did more tests tonight on the water, and I still cannot tell the difference between 0 and .25 on the ammonia test! URGH!! I get the feeling that it is 0 because there are still no nitrites and nitrates have increased to a little more of an orangey color. When I held the ammonia test up against a light, it did appear more yellow. Thoughts on that?

I also found two more little critters - one is something I have no idea what it is, its kinda fuzzy and about the size of a pea and i saw its whole body kind of contract and shoot something out... I picked it up and it isn't hard... No idea what it is. I'll see if I can find it in an ID thread or anything. Also saw a little spider like creature crawling on my rock. I tried to put it in a water bottle to examine it closer but accidentally killed it :( oh well. Maybe it was harmful and it's good I killed it :P

So I'm hoping to get some feed back on my water tests, because I kind of want to put a CUC in... But that wouldn't make sense I guess because I have no diatom bloom or anything! I just need to wait more I suppose!

Edit - I actually think I have the beginnings of a diatom bloom! I'm starting to notice some spots that are browning on my rock!

I think the diatom bloom has definitely started, it is slowly making its way around the tank and creeping onto the sand and glass. Found 2 new inhabitants tonight, a tiny little snail as well as a pod that is actually living! Possibility of a bristleworm being in the tank as well, something got my finger while I was moving around some rocks. It was only one tiny bristle, but there was something there. I got most of it out and the other tiny bit is still in my finger, but it doesn't really hurt.

haven't tested the water again yet, but will probably do that tomorrow... Life is kind of hectic for me because I am moving! The tank isn't moving because it is at my boyfriend's house, but my mom and myself are moving into a new condo. Hurrah!

Thanks for anybody who checks out my thread :)

Well I feel pretty certain that my cycle has technically completed!! 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrates, but I just need to do a water change. Which means I have to get my 5g spare tank cleaned out, cuz I'm going to use it as a water preparation tank/quarantine tank.

Nothing new to report other than a strange sharp clicking sound that is coming from the general direction of the tank... Me and my boyfriend think it is coming from the light fixture. It is very intermittent, but it only seemed to start after the lights were turned on. Mystery!!!

A few more critters to update on seeing- possibly a crab living in the rock, I know there was at least one in there cuz I saw it when I was picking out the rocks. Also, some kind of... Something that almost has the shape of a snail but isn't. It's small, has some fuzz on it's shell and was securely stuck to the rock waving in the turbulence a bit.

Also, I'm 99% sure the things I thought were aiptasia are some kind of brown clove polyp, I saw a close upnpic in someone's build thread the other day and went AHA!

I have a small picture update to try and entice some interest here!! There has been a slight change in scape...

Notice the right side is now an island, and a small piece has been added on the sand in front of the cave area on the left side.

EDIT -

omgomgomg I just saw real exciting life!! There is a crab living in a hidey hole in my rock! I figured there was something in there because every time I switch on the lights there is a scuttle of movement in the hole, but could never see it. I saw him tonight! A little crab with stripey legs. Will look up pictures to try and ID him. There is no way for me to get a picture because he is in a dark hole that I have to shine a flashlight in to see him. Exciting!!

post-67712-1312780188_thumb.jpg

post-67712-1312780232_thumb.jpg

post-67712-1312780266_thumb.jpg

Love the scape!

Thanks :happy: I'm taking the plunge with the first frag or two tomorrow!!! Probably a mushroom and a zoa or something like that. I like kenya trees and that kinda stuff, but I find their colour really bland (no offense to those who like brownish corals!) so I'm gonna try and stick with really brightly coloured things :)

Looking really nice, and glad you stuck with the test updates despite the lack of response on here =0)

Spotting life in your LR is pretty exciting!

Weeeeeee got some corals and a really itty bitty CUC omgomgomg

The new additions include:

1 medium frag of bright green zoas (will ID later when they've opened and acclimated)

1 small little mushroom, its purple and metallic greenish

1 blue legged hermit

2 ceriths

2 nassarius

Everyone is acclimating now :) Can't wait!

Nice! Can't wait to see! I just added some stuff too, will hopefully get pictures up this evening.

Sounds like you got a nice start with some pretty colorful stuff!

Nice! Can't wait to see! I just added some stuff too, will hopefully get pictures up this evening.

Sounds like you got a nice start with some pretty colorful stuff!

Nice! Did they go in your 20? What kind of stuff did you get?

Weeeeeee got some corals and a really itty bitty CUC omgomgomg

The new additions include:

1 medium frag of bright green zoas (will ID later when they've opened and acclimated)

1 small little mushroom, its purple and metallic greenish

1 blue legged hermit

2 ceriths

2 nassarius

Everyone is acclimating now :) Can't wait!

NICEEEE!!!! yeah i love green zoas, i got my zoas 3 weeks ago and it already has 4 new heads... zoas r one of my favorite corals.. what corals are u planning of getting?

Yup! I got a gigantic green paly rock (18" across, has to be 400+ polyps, broke it and only put a 1/4 of it in the tank, split it with a friend), beautiful orange ricordea Yuma, purple hair mushroom, 3 random paly frags (trading them), blue/green mush, red mush (friends tank now), and purple mush (friends tank since I already have them).

Got them from a guy tearing down his reef to make it FOWLR all for $40.

NICEEEE!!!! yeah i love green zoas, i got my zoas 3 weeks ago and it already has 4 new heads... zoas r one of my favorite corals.. what corals are u planning of getting?

Mostly LPS, lots of zoas, maybe some rics, I like brains.... Hopefully a few SPS somewhere down the line. Also really like chalices!

Mostly LPS, lots of zoas, maybe some rics, I like brains.... Hopefully a few SPS somewhere down the line. Also really like chalices!

yeha me too! i recently got some birdsnest corals and r doing alright still phto acclimating them soo their polyps are not stretching that much.. but it is really cool when i turn my LEDs on they glow neon green..

neon green = swag.. B)

Haha yeah Pal I agree, neon colors are where its at!

Small update, since I'm super stoked about my corals - zoas opening already!! I'm pretty sure they're radioactive dragon eyes. Mushroom isn't as shriveled up anymore either!

The nassarius snails buried themselves immediately after being put in the tank, the blue legged hermit is scurrying around finding things to eat and climb on..

But the two ceriths are just sitting there. One moved a little bit and has been still since, the other hasn't even had its foot come out of the shell. Is this normal? I have a feeling I'm too impatient!! Haha

I managed to get my pictures up, what's your excuse? :P

As for your snails, I've had some of my Astraeas go a day or two without moving then the next day they are moving around fine. I wouldn't be worried.

I don't have my camera here! Only my iPhone camera, which I don't think will capture the true essence of the colours :P !

I'll pop over to your thread and take a look though!

Got an iPhone 4? That's what all my pictures have been taken with. Then I use the imgur app to upload them. ;) saves so much time!

Going to get a nice Nikon DSLR and macro lens for Christmas though so my pictures are going to get infinitely better!

Archived