inTank Media Baskets

CO2 Scrubber - PH GOES UP

neuwave

I'm not sure I understand how it works, if you don't mind explaining it in details.

Is it the same logic behind the idea of injecting ozone in the skimmer?

I experienced something similar about low pH, when I tried to reduce the noise by connecting the air valve to skimer's collector to container hose.

ohhk, now I understand what a "soda lime from Airgas" is.

Lol, looks like you revived this thread from last year.

When installed, the skimmer was and still is quiet. No extra noise from the CO2 scrubber.

The concept is really simple.

Example: Scuba divers sometimes use rebreathers to lesson the output of bubbles when diving. Also reducig the bubbles released into the water which would have otherwise disturb/frighten off marine life. The exhaled air containing our CO2 has to go somewhere. The sodalime is a media that converts CO2 to a solid state as it is absorbed. Allowing the diver to stay down longer and not release a hord of exhaled bubbles into the water column.

In my tank the room air is pulled thru the canisters and past thru media. The CO2 is then absorbed on it's way to the skimmer. As the skimmer mixes with the tank water less CO2 is introduced. As the CO2 concentration lessons, the ph then becomes more alkaline.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When installed, the skimmer was and still is quiet. No extra noise from the CO2 scrubber.

Example: Scuba divers sometimes use rebreathers to lesson the output of bubbles when diving. Also reducig the bubbles released into the water which would have otherwise disturb/frighten off marine life. The exhaled air containing our CO2 has to go somewhere. The sodalime is a media that converts CO2 to a solid state as it is absorbed. Allowing the diver to stay down longer and not release a hord of exhaled bubbles into the water column.

In my tank the room air is pulled thru the canisters and past thru media. The CO2 is then absorbed on it's way to the skimmer. As the skimmer mixes with the tank water less CO2 is introduced. As the CO2 concentration lessons, the ph then becomes more alkaline.

Hope this helps.

This is a really interesting concept, regardless of how old the thread is. :) How is this working out for you? I know you state your pH has been more acceptable, but what about livestock? Any noticeable changes there?

I'm one of those who is not concerned with pH anymore. I haven't taken a pH reading on my tank in probably 5 years. This is because after extensive reading years back I came to the conclusion that pH really isn't that critical as long as there are not constant swings. The proof is in the pudding though - I want to be proven wrong so that I can get even better growth. Maybe I should have been concerned about pH more than I am. :)

Hope this helps.

ABSOLUTELY Neuwave that is exactly what happens. I have tried to set up Scrubbers with other materials (GAC and Aluminum compounds) but it would appear that the only one that really scrubs the CO2 very efficiently and for quite some time is Soda Lime.

Two Little Fishes sells a compound called CDX but I have not been able to find it locally and I do not know what the compound is.

Soda Lime however is easy to get (Airgas as you stated) and because there is a variety that changes color, it is easy to know when to replace it.

On the pH issue .... I can assure the other poster that my corals look a look better when the pH fluctuates very little and stays around 8.2 or 8.3

• 5 months later...

I'd love to see growth differences between 7.8 and 8.2 in a reef aquarium quantified, but until then, I just know that I very very rarely see or hear about CO2 scrubbers. And I've seen fantastic growth from people with pH in the 7.8-8.0 range. That's why I made a point to say "theoretically, but in practice". :P I could justify all kinds of crazy crap for a reef tank in theory.

I think it's more useful to focus on stability of the big water params.. Ca, Alk, Mag, Nitrates, Phosphates to really see good coral growth. Keep Ca and Alk high and a pH that swings from 7.8 to 8 isn't a big deal.

Keep me updated tho! Interesting stuff!

Could you tell me please what level of Ca & Alk do you recommend?

Hope this helps.

I've been using the TLF CDX (Co2 scrubber) in TLF reactor connected to the air skimmer's intake of my Tunze 9002 for about 2 weeks and the co2 media is changing color rapidly. I see that BRS is selling medical grade CO2 scrubber. What's the cheapest?

I've been using the TLF CDX (Co2 scrubber) in TLF reactor connected to the air skimmer's intake of my Tunze 9002 for about 2 weeks and the co2 media is changing color rapidly. I see that BRS is selling medical grade CO2 scrubber. What's the cheapest?

Lol this thread comes and goes.

The best bang for your buck is through your local Airgas company. It is literally half price thru them compared to the others. A 5 gallon buck can go for $65-$80 depending on your negotations skills when your there. Compared to the TLF which is approx $30 bucks per 3 litres.

That reminds me I'm down to my last refill and need to get a new bucket. When I get it I'll post the newest price I get from them. (From Airgas)

I'm still loving this stuff. Even a LFS has started to carry TLF product since they were having the same PH issue and They apprently took my suggestion. lol

Since my last post, I've been looking over a diver's forum bcz they use co2 scrubbers too. On the US market there two major manufacturer of co2 absorbents, Sofnolime & Sodasorb, this is the info I got so far:

- usually Sodasorb is cheaper

- Sodasorb is noticeable dustier

- Sodasorb has a much bigger concentration of large grains than the Sofnolime

- not noticed any difference in scrubber duration

Sodasorb comes in 3 grades Diving/Medical/Industrial.

Prices for Medical Grade CO2 scrubbers:

BRS: $49 for 9lbs looks like a 1gal jug

TLF: $40 for 3L, 1/3 less than 1Gal

JorVet: $8 for 1lbs

AIRGAS which seems to be Sofnolime: $65-$80 for 5gal/37lbs bucket

Sodasorb: For medical grade, I can't find it cheaper than Airgas but the Diving Grade is $78 for 5Gal/37 lbs

On the international market, CO2 absorbtion rate by brand:

MOLECULAR................158L

WILSON ( GRACE ).......174L

Sphera sorb.................177L

DRÄGER ......................185L

ATRASORB.................... 206L

There is a guy on reef2reef who posted ph readings before and after CO2 absorbent:

ApexpH2-11-11presodalime.jpg

ApexpH3-1-11postsodalime.jpg

Thanks for the post I haven't seen that thread in a while. But as they have seen positive results just like me. I haven't researched the prices on co2 absorbers as of lately. But seems like from your research Airgas is still less in price.

On a side note I do like the fact I do not have to keep my Alk so high. My lps have less issues and seem to expand more. I did notice a while back that when I ran out of the sodalime media the ph sank to 7.8ish. I used buffer to compensate from my normal 7-8 to 10-11ish (slowly of course) and my lps retracted. Even had two chalices stn (both still alive). I have it under control now but still I didn't like the higher Alk on a mixed tank. I've also been researching the zeovit tanks some and noticed they have a low Alk of 6. But they have good growth on sps. So I don't think a higher Alk is required for great sps growth.

Im actually looking into breeding rarer fish and inverts in the future. Some studies suggested that high CO2 accompanied with low PH can affect the development of marine life at certain larval stages. Since my next upgrade will come with a built in hatchery, I'm takin every advantage now to learn about controlling and maintaining all water parameters not just the most common.

great thread showcasing the relationship between c02, pH, and alkalinity!!!! I think minimizing swings and mimicking levels found in natural seawater are absolutly critical!

TThese are the parameters recommended by ZeoVit:

Minimum - Maximum
Ca 410 - 430 mg
Mg 1250 - 1300 mg
KH 6.5 - 7.5 dkh
K+ 380 - 400 mg
Salinity 33 - 35 ppt
My alkalinity is around 6.5-7. With TLF CDX the pH is 8.3-8.4 without it's 8.2

TThese are the parameters recommended by ZeoVit:

Minimum - Maximum

Ca 410 - 430 mg

Mg 1250 - 1300 mg

KH 6.5 - 7.5 dkh

K+ 380 - 400 mg

Salinity 33 - 35 ppt

My alkalinity is around 6.5-7. With TLF CDX the pH is 8.3-8.4 without it's 8.2

Yep, exactly. Their alk is a lot lower than the most ideas of higher alk. At the moment I try to keep mine around 7.5. So the use of a CO2 scrubber definitely helps to keep the PH up but keeping the alk midrange.

great thread showcasing the relationship between c02, pH, and alkalinity!!!! I think minimizing swings and mimicking levels found in natural seawater are absolutly critical!

Thanks

Still a work in progress but I'm liking the results.

I like co2 scrubber. It works. I DIY a 1g bottle and only change the media every 3 months.

The bottle reactor is very cool.

I use a TLF reactor which I had anyway. But the TLF CDX media is becoming purple at an alarming rate. No way it will last more than 5-6 weeks. I wonder: how much co2 do I have in the house or if the media is poor at it gets easily saturated. I will use Airgas or Sodasorb next.

Love DIY co2 scrubber. Media is expensive thou

Well depending on the time of the year. If you open you windows during the fall and spring, you let out excess CO2 and use less media. My 5 gallon bucket lasted over a year. So the CO2 concentration will vary during the year. For instance if you didn't have a CO2 reactor and had a house party, the excess people breathing CO2 will lower PH. When I spoke with Tony Vargas he noticed a drop in CO2 when he had more people in the house. So there are many variables that can affect the media life.

The bottle reactor is very cool.

I use a TLF reactor which I had anyway. But the TLF CDX media is becoming purple at an alarming rate. No way it will last more than 5-6 weeks. I wonder: how much co2 do I have in the house or if the media is poor at it gets easily saturated. I will use Airgas or Sodasorb next.

Definitely keep us updated on how the new media works. I know Albert theil told me that he tried carbon but did not remove enough CO2 from the air.

• 3 months later...

So, I am ready for my CO2 scrubber! The media and canister are on their way for the skimmer in the 125g aquarium. I will be setting it up the way neuwave has posted. Thank you, neuwave.

However, the nano is skimmerless. I have an air stone in the nano's fuge and intend to try the CO2 scrubber as an inline canister and have the air pump push the air through the media and into the airstone.

Has anyone tried this? If so has it worked in raising the pH?

Also, if you have a forced air CO2 scrubber please share how you set it up. :flower:

• 2 weeks later...
So, I am ready for my CO2 scrubber! The media and canister are on their way for the skimmer in the 125g aquarium. I will be setting it up the way neuwave has posted. Thank you, neuwave.

However, the nano is skimmerless. I have an air stone in the nano's fuge and intend to try the CO2 scrubber as an inline canister and have the air pump push the air through the media and into the airstone.

Has anyone tried this? If so has it worked in raising the pH?

Also, if you have a forced air CO2 scrubber please share how you set it up. :flower:

Glad to be of help. :)

You should get the same results. Your pushing air with reduced CO2 into your aquarium water. It seems like the CO2 scrubber is becoming more popular. Mr. Microscope is happy with his. Two LFSs asked me for instructions to build one. One of the stores put it on their display tank already. It seems like one of those crazy ideas that's too easy to be true. But sometimes simple is totally worth it.

Glad to be of help. :) You should get the same results. Your pushing air with reduced CO2 into your aquarium water. It seems like the CO2 scrubber is becoming more popular. Mr. Microscope is happy with his. Two LFSs asked me for instructions to build one. One of the stores put it on their display tank already. It seems like one of those crazy ideas that's too easy to be true. But sometimes simple is totally worth it.

Mine has been running for several days now and the pH hit 8.11 for the first time since the tank was born! :)

Mine has been running for several days now and the pH hit 8.11 for the first time since the tank was born! :)

Your first time at 8.1. That's awesome.

• 1 year later...

I have found it in the United Kingdom, ordered through eBay (I am in Spain).

It's not a product for everyone, but certainly it is for me. My CO2 concentration can surpass 1000 ppm at times and it is not always practical to keep all the windows open.

How do I know about my CO2 level? Netatmo sells very nice weather stations that include an indoor CO2 sensor so that you can know if you ventilate too much or too little. But you would be surprised at how fast CO2 can rise with just one person in a closed room.

Of course if you don't have a CO2 problem you won't notice any benefit, or maybe very marginal at best.

I'll keep you posted. I have filled a "Phosban" reactor by TLF with the stuff (a complete 750 ml bottle) and connected it to the air intake of my Deltec APF600 skimmer (it sucks air at about 400 lph)

This is a graph of my CO2 concentration:

post-32812-0-94703900-1409905119_thumb.png

24 hours later, pH has raised by .2.

I insist, this is not a solution for everyone, but if your problem is CO2 concentration in the aquarium room, this may seem magical even!

• 2 weeks later...

So after messing with this for a week or two I'm not 100% happy. The media slowly gets used up and pH trends back downward. I think im going to see if i can find an air pump that I can hook up to the canister to pull air through the scrubber then into the tank. This way I can control it with the Apex and try to shoot for a really steady and tight pH swing. Right now my pH is swinging 0.2 to 0.3 each day.

Edit: Seems air pumps like Im looking for are not easy to find. Also, this may introduce unwanted bubbles in my tank (planning to stick in chamber with skimmer but still).

So after messing with this for a week or two I'm not 100% happy. The media slowly gets used up and pH trends back downward. I think im going to see if i can find an air pump that I can hook up to the canister to pull air through the scrubber then into the tank. This way I can control it with the Apex and try to shoot for a really steady and tight pH swing. Right now my pH is swinging 0.2 to 0.3 each day.

Edit: Seems air pumps like Im looking for are not easy to find. Also, this may introduce unwanted bubbles in my tank (planning to stick in chamber with skimmer but still).

Recently added one to my tank. Ph went from a max of 7.9 to a max of 8.2... Huge difference.

Glad to see the scrubber made a difference in your tank. That's a big jump from 7.8 to 8.2. Wow

Getting that steady level of ph is definitely a challenge. I am currently in the middle of a tank upgrade and going the same route with the skimmer chamber as a possible CO2 reducing area. in the next few weeks I have a few experiments in mind to figure out a way to reduce fluctuations for both ph and co2 concentrations during the day and night. Then I can design a scrubber around my findings. It will take a few months to get all the data I need but I'll post when I find out. I am also going to try different design configurations for the scrubber and media. Hopefully I can get it to last longer. Even though one 5 gallon bucket seems to last me a year which isn't all that bad.

Keep up the good work.

I have found it in the United Kingdom, ordered through eBay (I am in Spain).

It's not a product for everyone, but certainly it is for me. My CO2 concentration can surpass 1000 ppm at times and it is not always practical to keep all the windows open.

How do I know about my CO2 level? Netatmo sells very nice weather stations that include an indoor CO2 sensor so that you can know if you ventilate too much or too little. But you would be surprised at how fast CO2 can rise with just one person in a closed room.

Of course if you don't have a CO2 problem you won't notice any benefit, or maybe very marginal at best.

I'll keep you posted. I have filled a "Phosban" reactor by TLF with the stuff (a complete 750 ml bottle) and connected it to the air intake of my Deltec APF600 skimmer (it sucks air at about 400 lph)

This is a graph of my CO2 concentration:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-09-05 at 9.57.39 AM.png

Awesome to see CO2 graphed out throughout the day. You are definitely getting lows and highs of CO2 day and night.

• 3 weeks later...

That graph is the air CO2 concentration, not CO2 diluted in water. But it's amazing how quickly the CO2 concentration can climb with just one person in a room with a closed window.

Archived