Pod Your Reef

bluebastion's Solana 67 XL

bluebastion

Well, came home for my lunch break to check out my light (scheduled delivery today) and found after I opened it up that it's the wrong size unit. I got the 24" instead of the 36" I paid and ordered. Jeremy at Premium Aquatics stated he's going to ship out the right one ASAP with the return shipping label to get the wrong sized unit sent back to them.

Looks like more tinkering with my Genesis Reef System in the next few days instead of playing with the light...

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a rough oversight with the light but at least they're getting it taken care of...accidents happen.

This tank has the best equipment I have ever seen. Will there be a similar budget for SPS?! Please say yes.

Please.

Great documentation so far! That genesis system looks awesome. Any idea of what you're planning in terms of gallonage changed per day. Can it only do a gallon at a time?

That's a rough oversight with the light but at least they're getting it taken care of...accidents happen.

This tank has the best equipment I have ever seen. Will there be a similar budget for SPS?! Please say yes.

Please.

Great documentation so far! That genesis system looks awesome. Any idea of what you're planning in terms of gallonage changed per day. Can it only do a gallon at a time?

Thank you for the kind words..

Yes accidents happen, however I have had quite a few issues with this new build... leaking return at bulkhead, 1 bag of Caribsea Arrag Alive sand with no liquid in it (leaked in transit), and now the incorrect light fixture size. Like I told Jeremy at Premium Aquatics, seems like things happen in 3's...

Anyways, Jeremy does a fantastic job in fixing issues... I know he'll come through for me on this light issue as well. I just hope I get the light before the end of the week... he said he'd send out my correct 36" light today, but I'm still waiting for a tracking #.

As for the Genesis Reef System, I plan on doing 1 gallon a day when I have a more established tank.

UPDATE:

Added water and salt last night:

2011-08-14180924.jpg

2011-08-14180916.jpg

Display topped off:

2011-08-14212354.jpg

Here is a pic of the finished plumbing from the tank stand to the wall:

2011-08-14212637.jpg

Genesis plumbing inside the stand (sump pump to exit reservoir and overflow-back-to-sump from metering reservoir, freshwater top off, new saltwater drain to sump)

2011-08-14212757.jpg

Finished Genesis Hardware install:

2011-08-14212927.jpg

2011-08-14213036.jpg

Here's a pic of the wrong light Premium Aquatics sent to me. I ordered and paid for the 36" model Vertex Illumina, but received the 24

2011-08-15134223.jpg

As for the Genesis Reef System, I plan on doing 1 gallon a day when I have a more established tank.

Is it going to be stocked lightly? 1 gallon doesn't seem like very much IMO. Do you have a powerhead in the saltwater container? I see you're using 30g brutes...what about doing like 4 - 5 per day so you'd just refill the container once a week? I would kill to have that system!

Looks great.

So there will be no dosing for this tank? Just making some NACl H2O for 1g a day water changes? Wow, all you have to do is sit back and watch your SPS grow. Lucky...

NirvanaandTool

Tagging along. This setup looks amazing. The tank, the rockwork, the fancy Genesis system, the light.

Cant wait to see it stocked!

This is ridiculous. Wow, I didn't even know they made systems like this. I thought it all had to be DIY.

Great looking build so far.

Holy gawd..... That is some space age hardware.

I agree, and I agree.... I'm thankful I can make this build at this caliber. My focus though is not cool new gadgets... which I do have a weakness for, but for longevity of my build and less maintenance on my part. Let's face it, we all would like to have a nice tank, but nice tanks take A TON of work to get there... I'm trying to make that TON of work more like 100 lbs.

Is it going to be stocked lightly? 1 gallon doesn't seem like very much IMO. Do you have a powerhead in the saltwater container? I see you're using 30g brutes...what about doing like 4 - 5 per day so you'd just refill the container once a week? I would kill to have that system!

Looks great.

I plan on heavily stocking with SPS... which can mean a big bio-load when it comes to feeding. At first I will be going on a 1 gallon a day water change with frequent testing. If tests show that I need a higher volume of water changing, then it will be a simple press of a button... literally. (up 1 to increase). I understand there are dangers in this hobby by not doing enough water changes, I won't get close to those dangers... however I don't want to over do the water changes, since it would literally be "pee-ing"(can't say the other word apparently) money away.

I'll have to find that sweet spot, but it will take time.

Sorry to nag about this I am real curious though...I really would like to know why you're only doing 1gallon per day. I feel like you have this insanely cool system that would make it really easy to do 4-6g per day without much hassle on your part and 1g really won't do anything for nutrient export or even trace element replacement if you're stocked heavily IMO. That's not even going to be close to 1.5% of your total water volume I wouldn't think. You could even get another brute can and just connect the two so you could do like 10g per day and only worry about the reservoir once a week. Either way...I'm certain this tank will be impressive.

I can't wait to see the light in action!

I plan on heavily stocking with SPS... which can mean a big bio-load when it comes to feeding. At first I will be going on a 1 gallon a day water change with frequent testing. If tests show that I need a higher volume of water changing, then it will be a simple press of a button... literally. (up 1 to increase). I understand there are dangers in this hobby by not doing enough water changes, I won't get close to those dangers... however I don't want to over do the water changes, since it would literally be "pee-ing"(can't say the other word apparently) money away.

I'll have to find that sweet spot, but it will take time.

Shoot I jumped the gun on that one.

Good deal...heavy SPS sounds like candy magic to me!

Can't wait to see that.

Sounds like the system is really impressive.

I thought about the ####### money away thing but you've spent quite a bit on HW...what's $50-$100 a month on salt to do a bunch of water changes?

I see you point in not over doing it though.....and you can definitely can change it if necessary. I'll be following either way man!

So there will be no dosing for this tank? Just making some NACl H2O for 1g a day water changes? Wow, all you have to do is sit back and watch your SPS grow. Lucky...

That is another unexpected benefit to the Genesis, it may do away for reason to dose. This will be all dependent on frequency and volume of the water changes. If I can find that sweet spot of nutrient export and replenishment of minerals... I might not need to dose. I am using D+D Salt... and plan only to use it. We'll see if dosing will be necessary in the following months; years.

....and I do plan on sitting back and watching the SPS grow ;)

Shoot I jumped the gun on that one.

It's all good... Thanks for your input/constructive feedback. I'm open to any good suggestions such as yours ;)

This is awesome! Subscribed.

Thank you!

Tagging along. This setup looks amazing. The tank, the rockwork, the fancy Genesis system, the light.

Cant wait to see it stocked!

Thanks for the comment on the rock work. I'm not much of a fan of the bonsai style... I'm more of a pile-of-rocks kind of guy. I just like to actually make the rocks look like a natural habitat for both the fish and coral. With no comments except for yours on the rock, I was beginning to wonder.... :lol:

Oh well, too late since I've mortared the rocks together! :happy:

That is another unexpected benefit to the Genesis, it may do away for reason to dose. This will be all dependent on frequency and volume of the water changes. If I can find that sweet spot of nutrient export and replenishment of minerals... I might not need to dose. I am using D+D Salt... and plan only to use it. We'll see if dosing will be necessary in the following months; years.

....and I do plan on sitting back and watching the SPS grow ;)

Great...I had extraordinary results with D-D for a while but have jumped back to just Reef Crystals recently. I look forward to seeing what you're experiences are.

It's all good... Thanks for your input/constructive feedback. I'm open to any good suggestions such as yours ;)

Always! Your attitude is obviously one that will allow you to have great success. I learned that the hard way a long time ago in this hobby.

You definitely have your bases covered!

This is ridiculous. Wow, I didn't even know they made systems like this. I thought it all had to be DIY.

Great looking build so far.

Thank you.. there is a way to get something similar using a Neptune Apex, but I haven't done much research on that since I'm not much of a DIY'er. There is also some complex programming involved to make sure you don't flood your house/tank as I understand it when you go that route. I'm also not a programmer, and would rather pay the premium to have it done right the first time.

That said, I do think that the Genesis is worth more than its weight in gold though, and would not hesitate to recommend it do anybody. Did I mention this system is pretty heavy? (quality materials)

Sick build. I wish I was rich so I could copy you, LOL! Great stuff so far!

I wish I was rich too!

I forgot to mention your aquascape is great! Those are BRS rocks correct? Which ones ? If you don't mind me asking, they look great. I recently made a first time order of BRS Reef Saver ECO rocks.

No recession in this household! Holy cow! Will tag along to see how this comes out. This is almost like a trip to MACNA, seeing all the new gadgets. You are a brave man putting that tank on those gorgeous hardwood floors. They are natural enemies!

Speaking of floors, one thing I noticed is the return lines look to be awfully low in the tank. Please tell me you have plans to stop a back siphon in the event of a loss of power or at least that your sump will handle all of the water that will run out of the tank with the power off. I am sure you have thought of that though.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/blueb...on/RockWork.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the SPS garden grow!

I forgot to mention your aquascape is great! Those are BRS rocks correct? Which ones ? If you don't mind me asking, they look great. I recently made a first time order of BRS Reef Saver ECO rocks.

Thank you! I originally ordered BRS Pukani, but they called me the next day to say they were out and not sure when they were getting more in... so that's when I decided to go with marcorocks.com. The only thing I have regretted is that I did not order enough. I was hoping to have a decent amount left over for the sump, but it all went into the display. Great rock IMO.

I ordered the combo with their mortar included... great stuff to aquascape with if you know you're not going to be moving rocks around.

I am mulling over whether to order cured manado live rock from Premium Aquatics to seed the tank with pods and inverts... I'll be placing the rock in the sump, not directly in the display... or just to play it safe with more dry rock and try and get some pods started from a bottled culture..

We'll see....

No recession in this household! Holy cow! Will tag along to see how this comes out. This is almost like a trip to MACNA, seeing all the new gadgets. You are a brave man putting that tank on those gorgeous hardwood floors. They are natural enemies!

Speaking of floors, one thing I noticed is the return lines look to be awfully low in the tank. Please tell me you have plans to stop a back siphon in the event of a loss of power or at least that your sump will handle all of the water that will run out of the tank with the power off. I am sure you have thought of that though.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/blueb...on/RockWork.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the SPS garden grow!

By return lines do you mean to the Genesis?

If so, I've also wondered the same thing... I might poke some holes higher in the lines(but still in the sump) to avoid a siphon as a precautionary measure... Still, only 1 line is really worth the worry, and that's the RO line... It's the only line directly fed into the sump.

No, I was speaking of the Lock-Line returns inside the tank.

Ah!.. they have holes that point downward to break the siphon located at the coupling to the overflow box. Current already thought of that! :)

Also gives a little water movement blasting directly below the lock-lines to help keep that area free of detritus.

As for sump capacity, it's got a good bit of wiggle room left when the tank drains down to the holes. I checked to make sure I was in the clear when I first did a leak test. That was a scary moment, as you are right... the only thing that was keeping me from doing this build sooner is the exposure to wood floors.

Archived