Pod Your Reef

hardly do water changes and everything ok

rolinroc

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay well at least I'm helping him. Most, no wait... ALL of you are just making fun of him. Maybe it's a young kid that actually needs help, and not just a trolling adult.

Okay well at least I'm helping him. Most, no wait... ALL of you are just making fun of him. Maybe it's a young kid that actually needs help, and not just a trolling adult.

hey i was just letting the person kno that their may be some concern on using tap water without using a phosphate remover...

got also some hair algae until i got the timer running a 10 hour cycle

red slime went away in about a weeks time than i got hair algae that started creeping up until i ran a timer on my tank

always used tap water and never changed the program and in the last six months i can remember doing 4 water changes or less

always used tap water and never changed the program and in the last six months i can remember doing 4 water changes or less

also i have not tested the water at all

thanks your really helpful

i was thinking about getting a ac 110 and turning the thing into a fuge would that work

You sound like you're fairly new to the hobby. What you should be doing is using RO/DI or distilled water to mix your saltwater. Some cities add fluoride to their tap. It's inconsistent and the parameters in your tank should be staying the same. I can't stop you from using it, but you shouldn't be using it in my most honest opinion.

You should be doing weekly water changes with that small of a tank. If you can't do that, do bi-weekly, or as often as you can if that.

You sound like you're fairly new to the hobby. What you should be doing is using RO/DI or distilled water to mix your saltwater. Some cities add fluoride to their tap. It's inconsistent and the parameters in your tank should be staying the same. I can't stop you from using it, but you shouldn't be using it in my most honest opinion.

You should be doing weekly water changes with that small of a tank. If you can't do that, do bi-weekly, or as often as you can if that.

how often do you change your water

how often do you change your water

Every week. Not a 100% change. I do 5 gallon changes on my 29 gallon, so that's about a 17.25% water change. Many like to do 20-25% water changes. On pico tanks (like 3 gallons) some people do 50% water changes. I've noticed ill effects with water changes more than 35%, but that's just my tanks.

EDIT: If you can, daily water changes work too. There was a huge discussion on here about that one day. Lots of people had luck with small daily water changes, instead of a larger weekly water change. For example, you could do 5-10% daily instead of 25% weekly. That will help keeping the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite from building up too high.

Every week. Not a 100% change. I do 5 gallon changes on my 29 gallon, so that's about a 17.25% water change. Many like to do 20-25% water changes. On pico tanks (like 3 gallons) some people do 50% water changes. I've noticed ill effects with water changes more than 35%, but that's just my tanks.

EDIT: If you can, daily water changes work too. There was a huge discussion on here about that one day. Lots of people had luck with small daily water changes, instead of a larger weekly water change. For example, you could do 5-10% daily instead of 25% weekly. That will help keeping the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite from building up too high.

checked out your pics there great sweet tank

checked out your pics there great sweet tank

Thanks. With a little work, you can get your tank even nicer. Get your water change schedule in whack and get your parameters where they need to be. You have better lights than I do on that tank (34g was the one you looked at, right? The one in my signature...) and a smaller space to fill, so get a few really nice corals and let them grow huge. Pure blue LED will give your corals wacky colors! :)

what seems wrong to me is that this guy gets 11 pages of posts to his thread when he obviously doesn't want to take anyones advice and some people post serious questions really looking for help and noone talks to them.

jesus christ can we get a lock over here. threads like this are why people think nr is a joke.

I hate people like you.

Kick out all the tweens IMO.

What a disgusting pile of drivel.

Dude! Most... Or SOME of us actually know stuff. I know I help out newbie adults on N-R all the time. I'm not as stupid as a three-year-old. We're just as capable of keeping a reef as an adult. I put all of my time and every penny I get into this hobby. My point is, just because somebody is young doesn't mean they can't do something

splinter492
Dude! Most... Or SOME of us actually know stuff. I know I help out newbie adults on N-R all the time. I'm not as stupid as a three-year-old. We're just as capable of keeping a reef as an adult. I put all of my time and every penny I get into this hobby. My point is, just because somebody is young doesn't mean they can't do something

+1 age discrimination is just as wrong as racial discrimination in my book...

What a disgusting pile of drivel.

+1

No one is questioning how much the teens on here know, it's that you all post #### like this from just a few posts ago:

I hate people like you.

No one gives a #### "Dr. Eclipse." One or two unproductive posts are fine but now you need to STFU. BTW I am 21 so I wasn't a teen too long ago. I still didn't post this much useless crap on the itnernet.

No one gives a #### "Dr. Eclipse." One or two unproductive posts are fine but now you need to STFU. BTW I am 21 so I wasn't a teen too long ago. I still didn't post this much useless crap on the itnernet.

+1

Squared bothers me the most though. At least Mini-Dude cooled down after a while.

I don't really have anything against any particular people. It is kinda obvious that most of the random posts come from the people with something about being a teenager written somewhere near their avatar/in their sig. It's cool in their tank threads or in the lounge too but not blowing up a thread in the beginners forum.

work.6875469.1.fc-550x550-white.v3.jpg

Proving the point of everyone #####ing in here about useless posts. I aint even mad tho.

Seriously this needs to be moved to the lounge or closed....Theres truly nothing productive taking place in this thread.

OP posts an empty statement without any details or pics of his setup which only encourages further trolling and stupidity.

Keep in mind making such a statement in the beginners area is sure to mislead newcomers

Please help keep nano-reef a productive forum.

Thanks

word. the tweens are ruining the camaraderie of this forum. I almost wish we modded like RC so I could just permaban them all.

and for the record folks, mods aren't omniscient - we don't read every thread, believe it or not. so the next time you start crying for a thread to be closed, maybe also try PMing a mod or reporting a post? lamentation without action is a lost cause.

Archived