Cultivated Reef

hardly do water changes and everything ok

rolinroc

I don't doubt your tank looks great though, clearly you have it stocked well to have gone this long. Most people are entertaining algae at the 3 month no water change mark.

But if you have fish, multiple fish, you've got me interested a pic w clear this all up

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i guess it's technically possible if you've got good enough filtration and dose heavily. but without either extremely accurate testing + dosing or simple water changes...IMO your tanks gonna get outta balance eventually. it's just a matter of time.

most people that set up their first tank run them like this. they will go quite a long time with little to no export, the reef is a vast network of pockets.

Until they're filled, all's well. I can guess the age of the tank without even knowing any more input. The tank is not over a year old. from pics we can tell how old it is.

i really believe that it has to do with the tap water and nothing else we remove alot of beneficial nutrients when we filter it so i truly affirm mother nature knows best jsut from the results im getting from my tank

i really believe that it has to do with the tap water and nothing else we remove alot of beneficial nutrients when we filter it so i truly affirm mother nature knows best jsut from the results im getting from my tank

i guess im unconventional with positive or disater result but i like to expierment and so far thing been running to the tee with no big issues except for aptasia issues

I just threw out my RO/DI system...tap water it is! Thanks for the suggestion.

works for me should for you just keep your salt levels really high but you have to do it at the start of your tank

And here I thought cities treated water. Now I know that my tap water comes straight from the ocean. I feel like I just wasted $200 on an RO/DI filter. =(

And here I thought cities treated water. Now I know that my tap water comes straight from the ocean. I feel like I just wasted $200 on an RO/DI filter. =(

lol keep money in your pocket and use tap u will need water conditioner and a bag of chemi pure keep it simple

Is this another teenager thread?

Is this another adult thread?

You offend the OP and teens by saying that. We aren't stupid. We're just as deticated to this as the adults that have this hobby. Some of us may be immature, but there are just as many immature adults here on N-R.

well i guess it's technically possible if you've got good enough filtration and dose heavily. but without either extremely accurate testing + dosing or simple water changes...IMO your tanks gonna get outta balance eventually. it's just a matter of time.

xbox alt, imo

what does keeping salinity high do for your tank?

and are people really throwing out their rodi systems?? wtf? I'm not doubting your tank, but first of all not every city treats their water the same (and yes cities do treat water...it doesn't come straight from the ocean) so you might have gotten lucky and your cities water happens to be within the acceptable ranges for keeping a tank, but I'm 100% sure this won't be the case for most people. Second of all by sps I mean acropora and the more fragile ones. I'd bow down to you if you ran an sps dominated tank with tap water and minimal filtration. This is an exception, but it's dangerous if people from different areas start following suit as they'll soon find out it wasn't the right move.

and are people really throwing out their rodi systems?? wtf? I'm not doubting your tank, but first of all not every city treats their water the same (and yes cities do treat water...it doesn't come straight from the ocean) so you might have gotten lucky and your cities water happens to be within the acceptable ranges for keeping a tank, but I'm 100% sure this won't be the case for most people. Second of all by sps I mean acropora and the more fragile ones. I'd bow down to you if you ran an sps dominated tank with tap water and minimal filtration. This is an exception, but it's dangerous if people from different areas start following suit as they'll soon find out it wasn't the right move.

No OP is trolling, the rest of us are having fun. =)

You offend the OP and teens by saying that. We aren't stupid. We're just as deticated to this as the adults that have this hobby. Some of us may be immature, but there are just as many immature adults here on N-R.

this is from my won expiernce and im satisfied with the results so far it works for me

I'll watch where I step next time when I'm in 'mamby pamby land'.

My apologies.

I wasn't calling you or any of the other teens "stupid" I just think you need to get each other's email addresses so you all can focus your repeated "biznitches" comments somewhere everyone else doesn't have to root through.

This is a fantastic site with a lot of great members and great information.

This thread is not the latter. Pictures will clear this all up OP. As for offending the OP...have you read this thread?

You can find the makeup of saltwater with as simple search.

Your local municipality posts the makeup of their tap water. Your store bought salt mix recreates NSW relatively well. Using addition you can find that the combination of city tap and ASW have quite a few things added into the mix that aren't supposed to be there. Good luck with your experiment.

well i believe in one word everyone keeps forgetting in this hobby and its called KISS KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

simple way to get into a hobby with out all te confusion u guys scare people away with all the fancy terms and by the way h20 is water no matter where it comes from lol

slippy steve

did I just get trolled?

h20 is water no matter where it comes from lol

hehehe and coffee and tea and urine and coke are like H2O too since they're like liquid and that's just like chemistry lol.

I have to some what agree with rolin I went 5 months without changing my chemipure I did do water changes about once a month and my corals were happy as a lark as soon as I changed my chemipure my zoanthids were pissed they stayed closed for 3 weeks they are now starting to open their eyes. So maybe less is better. JMO ;)

damn can't believe I just got trolled this badly....lol.

name of thegame is simplicity and expermenting so for all the newbies follow and become your own nano masters

name of thegame is simplicity and expermenting so for all the newbies follow and become your own nano masters

just a ac 30 power filter with a bag of chemi pure and thirstt quenching tap water

I'll watch where I step next time when I'm in 'mamby pamby land'.

My apologies.

I wasn't calling you or any of the other teens "stupid" I just think you need to get each other's email addresses so you all can focus your repeated "biznitches" comments somewhere everyone else doesn't have to root through.

This is a fantastic site with a lot of great members and great information.

This thread is not the latter. Pictures will clear this all up OP. As for offending the OP...have you read this thread?

You can find the makeup of saltwater with as simple search.

Your local municipality posts the makeup of their tap water. Your store bought salt mix recreates NSW relatively well. Using addition you can find that the combination of city tap and ASW have quite a few things added into the mix that aren't supposed to be there. Good luck with your experiment.

Meh, it's fine! :)

Hold on a second... Are you suggesting to minors that they should exchange email adresses with strangers? :o

Tsk tsk...

Archived