ReefCleaners.org

Epicystis Crucifer aka Rock Flower Anemones

fote03

I have started noticing more and more of the Rock nems pop on on forums and stores but there really isn't much info out there on them. So i want to start a thread and get some personal experiences from other reefers who have or have kept them.

I just got two this past week and i'm already hooked. Planning a tank around them and some maxi mini's.

1dffa278.jpg

01bbb3d5.jpg

8b57f934.jpg

Copy this and fill in what you think. What do you recommend?

Tank size?

Lighting?

Flow?

Skimmer?

Refugium?

Feeding?

Spawning info?

Post picture of the ones you have.

Good idea, I've got two pretty colorful ones from coral morphologic in my 125 gallon. One is stuck to a shell on the sandbed and the other has crawled up a piece of rock facing the front of the tank which is an awesome resting spot. They dont really seem to wander once they find their spot. I've fed mine fingerfulls of mysis and shrimp, they totally balloon up and chow down. I've read that with proper lighting they dont NEED food to survive but its a nice addition. I also have two tiny sexy shrimp in my 125 gallon, for the first few weeks I never saw them....now they are on the green rock flower 24x7 :) seem to be very easy to care for. I will have to try and get some pictures.

so here are a couple crappy camera phone shots

IMG_20110720_131211.jpg

and the second that currently is being hosted by my two sexy shrimp

IMG_20110720_131156.jpg

pmoradi2002

Tank size?- 5g

Lighting?- Low-moderate

Flow?- Low

Skimmer?- No

Refugium?- No

Feeding?- Twice a week

Spawning info?- Cut them in half.

Tank size?- 5g

Lighting?- Low-moderate

Flow?- Low

Skimmer?- No

Refugium?- No

Feeding?- Twice a week

you can actually force prop these? really? ive heard you cant?

carbon-mantis

Tank size?- 10g+, mine started silver dollar size, and it's already 4" across and still growing. I suppose you could keep one in a 5g, providing that you don't keep anything else near it.

Lighting?- Good PC and up should be fine. Mine looks great under t5ho.

Flow?- Low-Moderate. Slightly higher flow to direct drifting food to them is good if you don't want to target feed.

Skimmer?- No

Refugium?- No

Feeding?- I feed mine directly 2x per week with mysis. It eats any food I put in the tank though. Loves prime reef flakes more than the mysis shrimp.

Spawning info?- Unknown to me.

I've also read that you can not propagate rock flowers as you would other anemones. This applies to cutting them in half and damaging the foot. I haven't tried it personally so I don't know for sure.

Tank size? 125 gallons

Lighting? two ai sol blues

Flow? they are in a pretty low flow area

Skimmer? Yes

Refugium? yes 45 gallon w/chaeto/chemipure elite

Feeding? mysis and krill, pretty randomly

Spawning info? nothing to add here

Everything i have found says you shouldn't cut them it will kill them. Have you cut them before and have them lived? Any pictures?

Archived