Pod Your Reef

tpallas' 11.4g LED SPS Rimless

tpallas

With the move into a smaller apartment I will be downgrading my 40g cube SPS reef into a nano. After much deliberation I chose the Mr. Aqua 11.4 gallon, largely to fit to my lighting choice and keep the water volume at a reasonable size for a Tunze nano skimmer. My preliminary equipment list is as follows:

- 11.4 gallon Mr. Aqua tank, rear painted black with Glass-holes.com Super Nano con Dientes overflow and return drilled and installed.

- Stand: Custom stand in the works from a member of my local reef club.

- Sump: Planning on ordering a custom sump from Lifereef with room for the skimmer, media bags, and refuge area.

- Lighting: AquaIllumination Sol Super Blue 12" unit. I had considered the Nano Sol, but my concern is that I would have to mount it too high to cover the length of the tank and have significant light spillage.

- Skimmer: Tunze Nano Skimmer. I believe this will be sufficient to maintain water quality for SPS/clams. Are there any other recommendations for top-quality, small size skimmers?

- Flow: Vortech MP10. Will I need the wireless controller for compatability with the Profilux Vortex unit?

- ATO: Tunze Osmolator.

In the future I will be adding:

- GHL Profilux III EX controller. A Reefkeeper2 will be doing the job in the meantime.

- GHL Profilux dosing unit 3 for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.

My hope is that with an LED unit vice metal halides I will eliminate the need for a chiller, but this remains to be seen. One choice I have not yet decided upon is the return pump. I'd like a decent amount of turnover, although not much is required as the Vortech will supplement. My current favorite is the Sicce Syncra 1.5, what are your thoughts?

My stocking plans are largely for my existing corals which are still frag-size - Montipora and Acropora, with some LPS (Acans) on the sand bed, and probably 2 clams. I'd like a pair of black clowns in addition to my six-line. I'd like this tank to get as full as possible with SPS growth.

Below is progress made over the past several weeks. Please excuse the poor picture quality - still need to get my good camera from storage.

Tank:

Picture002-1.jpg

Super Nano con Dientes from the box:

Picture021.jpg

Holes drilled successfully:

Picture009.jpg

Overflow and return trial mounted:

Picture024.jpg

Frontal view:

Picture031.jpg

The next task is to paint the back black, which I have been doing over the course of the weekend. More to follow...

Cheers

Tom

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the Nano Sol coming out so people can post their reviews....I'd be happy if I could go with it, but I'm concerned the spread just won't be enough.

Question on the protein skimmer....I am starting to re-think the Tunze Nano as I'll have more sump room for a bigger skimmer. Do you think an SWC 120 or a Vertex IN 80 would be a better choice?

Thanks!

Tom

Painting the background black....

Masking the edges:

DSCF0332.jpg

Off to an awkward start:

DSCF0333.jpg

Looking better:

DSCF0336.jpg

Completed with overflow and return trial installed:

DSCF0349.jpg

DSCF0351.jpg

Top-down look at the plumbing:

DSCF0346.jpg

And things are progressing....next steps are to permanently install the overflow and return, take some dimensions for the stand builder, and continue planning the equipment.

I put in an order today with MD for some Bahamas oolite - I think the white sugar sand will look great against the black background. I'm also moving solidly closer to ordering an SWC 120.

More to come...

Well, I went ahead and ordered the SWC 120 today. I deliberated back and forth for a while between this and the Tunze Nano, but I'd rather go with something larger and overskim rather than tinker around the the Tunze and upgrade later.

I'm still vacillating back and forth between the AI Sol Blue or the AI Nano....I'd like to ensure that the full length of the tank (19") receives good light coverage for SPS. I'm afraid with the Nano I'll get more of a spotlight effect. I'm looking forward to it coming out and seeing the reviews....what are your thoughts???

If you go with the AI Sol, you won't have any problems with coverage, and you will be able to use it on larger tanks if you ever consider upgrading. Of course the price difference is pretty large, but if you know you might upgrade tanks for sure in the future, then it shouldn't be a big deal.

Its looking good. Cant wait to see some life in there!

Thanks!

I bit the bullet today and ordered a 12" AI Sol super blue. I think I'll be happy with the extra capacity over the nano version, and this one is available immediately. Skimmer should be arriving tomorrow....

SWC 120 skimmer came in the mail the other day:

DSCF0355.jpg

DSCF0357.jpg

In the display tank for size reference:

DSCF0359.jpg

Some other stuff that came as well:

DSCF0358.jpg

And the best for last!

DSCF0365.jpg

DSCF0366.jpg

DSCF0367.jpg

DSCF0369.jpg

DSCF0368.jpg

Took her out for a test drive:

DSCF0371.jpg

Cheers

Tom

this tank is gana be f***ing dope!!! lol very nice choice in equipment! am thinking of the same for my new build! 120 swc skimmer and ai sol light!

SouthFlorida_Tron

Yay to the Aqua Illumination! I've been preachin how sexy they make da cooorralllsss

omgomgomg omgomgomg :happydance: :happydance:

Yay to the Aqua Illumination! I've been preachin how sexy they make da cooorralllsss

omgomgomg omgomgomg :happydance: :happydance:

damn right u have!! lol

Received the RO/DI unit today from BRS. Looks like a pretty solid unit with good plumbing options:

DSCF0372.jpg

Also received 13 lbs of eco-saver rock. Probably 3 or 4 lbs than I needed, but at that price better to be over than under.

DSCF0375.jpg

Next question is, how to scape? I hurredly threw this together:

DSCF0376.jpg

Any suggestions?

Nicee! Your going to love that SWC skimmer!

IMO I think the rock that makes the arch needs to be placed in a more natural way. Lookin' good other than that.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Got the right idea, I myself like the two huge rock structures towards corners, and a bridge across the top (as like my tank, sorta lol)

Nicee! Your going to love that SWC skimmer!

IMO I think the rock that makes the arch needs to be placed in a more natural way. Lookin' good other than that.

Got the right idea, I myself like the two huge rock structures towards corners, and a bridge across the top (as like my tank, sorta lol)

Thanks guys - I'll keep on playing around with the rockwork.

Are there any opinions out there on the use of biopellets on this tank? Since I'll be keeping SPS and clams I thought this might be an option looking into. As far as the reactor goes, I'm looking at the BR-70 Super Reef Octopus. Am I overlooking any risks that might be associated with the use of biopellets?

SouthFlorida_Tron

keep this in mind, it depends on YOUR stock (fish mainly)... i have a smaller tank than you...

people say "OH U NEED A SKIMMER FOR SPS"... BALOGNE.... i have just purige, CPE, chaeto, and phosban... my SPS are growing like weeds, frags there for weeks are already grown over plugs onto liverock.

i do weekly water changes but the chaeto was the trick... your dosing will be important too... i didnt notice the explosion of coraline until i started checking my magnesium levels.

sure, skimmers & reactors wont hurt :P

Archived