Coral Vue Hydros

Kat's badass BC14, retired

metrokat

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MY FIRST SPS!

Got my corals from .newman. I took a chance on a green ORA bird that he was selling for very cheap as it was bleached on several branches. The frag did not make for a good shipment and broke, so now it looks odd. Originally the shape was beautiful. I wanted to see if I could keep SPS, I do not have my LED's yet, but the placement for this little broken guy is high on my rockwork.

The corals just got done with acclimation etc so will wait and see what they look like when they stop stressing.

I don't know if the bird will survive but I have to say the delicacy and beauty of that coral just left me breathless. Even stressed and broken and bleached and funky as it was. I am not a big fan of most SPS except ORA's green and pink birds and a couple of other things, I'm absolutely thrilled at having the chance to look at one (even if dead or dying) everyday.

Not sure what you're doing for lighting but Birdsnest are pretty darn forgiving. You should be just fine. And they grow like weeds so it'll be back in tip top shape in short order.

yes i do hope it will rebound. it really should because it was starting to color up more in my tank right before i sent it to you, so i'm sure its strong enough to make it.

if you have weaker lights, I'd acclimate it in the middle level of the tank instead of the sand like i originally suggested. but i'd be worried about light shock if you placed it very close to the light right away.

I placed the bird about 2/3 way up so while not the highest placement, it is still not low. I'm assuming if it is sensitive to light that it will show signs of bleaching in the parts that have polyps?

Newman I got your PM, yes I glued the broken pieces to a new frag plug. I could not bring myself to throw the pieces away, salvaged what I could, some were too small. Crossing my fingers.

What should I feed it? I have marine snow, cyclopeeze, algae wafers.

Nope he's in the bedroom tank (NC12), where he has plenty of fun chilling on the overflow, haha. As for your SPS - occasional feeding of filter food like Marine Snow is fine but by no means necessary. Are you getting any polyp extension yet?

Nice Tank! It's Friday afternoon and time is moving at a snail's pace, so I read the whole thread... It's nice to see some real creativity and planning go into a new tank. It's obvious you've kept fish for a while, and it shows in your approach to this tank.

The hijacked "first order" thread was hilarious... or at least as funny as a fish forum can be.

Anyways, like the scape, like the fish/inverts, corals, and macros... Keep it up!

Woah ! saw your tank after a very long time ,love rock formation, levels :)

reminded me of Kramer :

BTW, hows "2 neon gobies" doing ? they are still together ?

not so sure about kenya tree sence I have none but I cant see it being much different than xenia as far as being a weed. I have no issue with my xenia although it does require a bit of pruning and removal as it breaks away and finds a spot in the tank.

I have a pair of surgical tweezers that do a great job of griping xenia and pulling it from the rock.

Nice Tank! It's Friday afternoon and time is moving at a snail's pace, so I read the whole thread... It's nice to see some real creativity and planning go into a new tank. It's obvious you've kept fish for a while, and it shows in your approach to this tank.

The hijacked "first order" thread was hilarious... or at least as funny as a fish forum can be.

Thank you! I've kept FW all this while. Always wanted saltwater though, I bought an old 50 Gallon for $100 some 15 years ago. My dad made me read our home owners policy which at the time did not have flood insurance. He never said a word beyond that, so I sold the tank. Went shopping last year at Thanksgiving with a buddy who wanted a tank and we stumbled upon a BC29 at Petsmart. That was it, had to have one, just waited till I gained a little experience on his tank before starting mine.

The tank sitter is currently around. I have to start a new thread. :)

Woah ! saw your tank after a very long time ,love rock formation, levels :)

reminded me of Kramer :

BTW, hows "2 neon gobies" doing ? they are still together ?

You know! Funny you should mention the "2 neon gobies". When I called MA to see if Georgie was around so I could bring them home, I asked him the same thing. "Hey Georgie, are the 2 neons, you know, "together" still?" And he said "yeah they is still in love". Sure enough they were, in their tank.

In mine: They've broken up. At first I thought they were stressed since it is a new home but one is always in hiding as if sick, the other is always swimming around. When they are together which seems to be early in the morning, the active one is pecking at the in-active one. I see no signs of disease in either of them however. The in-active one might be older, they do not have a very long life span.

Anyway so I am thinking of removing one to put in my pico. Not sure yet.

Kramer rocks! thanks for the link.

not so sure about kenya tree sence I have none but I cant see it being much different than xenia as far as being a weed. I have no issue with my xenia although it does require a bit of pruning and removal as it breaks away and finds a spot in the tank.

Well I really like the shape of the Kenya tree, not fond of it's color so in the pico it might go. We shall see.

Thanks to everyone for following the thread, for your help, advice and words of encouragement.

I was gluing my frags to the rockwork. Didn't get all done, but the tank was put through enough torture. I also had a not so happy accident with the dremel and the duncan. :scarry: but it seems to be recovering thankfully.

I'm not sure if I will glue much more. I have a beautiful shelf rock work that is ideal to display corals, if I didn't have flat surfaces it would make sense to glue stuff to the rocks. So I think I'm going to leave things as they are at the moment. I am looking for a frogspawn in that vivid green with purple tip combo. That gets the main 'show' placement.

Some before and after shots.

FTS 9/30/11 and 10/25/11

IMG_20110930_134439.jpgIMG_20111025_115502.jpg

Side 10/5 and 10/25

IMG_20111005_165444.jpgIMG_20111025_115525.jpg

Other side 10/5 and 10/25

IMG_20111005_165537.jpgIMG_20111025_115548.jpg

And new images 10/25:

IMG_20111025_115541.jpgIMG_20111025_115532.jpg

Looking at these, it is easy for me to see areas of improvement. I also have a lot of open shelf space now for showpiece corals.

Archived