SaltCritters.com

Kat's badass BC14, retired

metrokat

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why r u changing things again? I think it's perfect as is!!!!!

This time it is because things are wobbly, I'm not really changing as much as putting down epoxy and making sure I have no avalanches and tumble downs. To do that I have to remove the pieces for the epoxy. I want the scape to stay the same but it won't sit back "exactly" the same way as it does now.

Thanks for the compliment though, I love looking at my tank, I just need to stop fooling around with it. Epoxy is the answer.

I like the tank. Love the aquascaping. Any fish will love an aquascape made of overhangs and caves compared to a bland stack. Many fish become more active in scapes like this such as a six-line wrasse.

This is the first time I have seen your thread so I could have missed anything. What I want to get back to is that aiptasia anemone. When I ordered my gulf rock, It either came with a mantis which I ended setting up a tank for. Since it was just a mantis tank I left the aiptasia to grow. These being the skinny, pointy, banded aiptasia like you have. One day not so long ago, I noticed in the sandbed that small aiptasia popped up like dandelions. If you still have aiptasia in your tank, is it really worth risking your other corals?

Also incase you want to know, aiptasia will live in low light but being an anemone, will rapidly move to get better light if really low. I use a 27w 6500k CFL.

Also, in my great opinion atleast, The filter chambers on cubes are such crap. I'd much rather have a decent HOB filter. Made my tank rimless, topless and removed that filter chamber from my 12 gallon nano cube. This opened up tons more room, I was also able to get an aquascape that I am very happy with. An HOB filter also removes surface scum as it dumps water back in.

Think I will even update my thread for it in a few minutes.

Oh good. I'm glad you aren't doing drastic changes. It already looks amazing. Once that awesome mushroom collection fills in, along with everything else, this will totally be a TOTM :)

@Bishop, thanks for checking my thread. No Mark Sanchez for me I'm afraid (aka 6line), I'm going to keep gobies and clown fish. I've wanted saltwater for over 10 years, wanted clown fish for that long.

I have 2 banded aiptasia now, (used to have 3, I ah murdered one with boiling water :huh: ) Happy the banded aiptasia might be going to monochrome5 just as soon as I can ship him out. The 3rd one will be going to anemone heaven, it already moved to a better light. These guys do multiply, but the growth rate is very slow or so I'm told. But yes I agree with you, they have got to go.

Ref the HOB, I like having a lid, I like having light that is hidden that does not hurt my eyes. I like the fact that the cube is a closed box. I would happily buy a modded hood, one that has the HOB set-up drilled discreetly in the back.

@Gena TOTM?! from your mouth to CM's ears. :) I have a LONG way to go and a lot to learn before that happens. All I can say is that I'm LOVING this hobby.

Dufus just had his first birthday! (his first molt)

IMG_20111006_083645.jpg

How perfect is that molt? How do they get their big claws out of there and leave the shell in one piece?!

He's doing the spiderman under a shelf right now. He fluffs up my mushrooms and bites the Nass snails for no reason. Dufus.

I had anticipated about 2 hours of work, took me 4. Rose coral is VERY pissed off, and it might not recover. Sigh. Found a baby anemone, nuked it. Happy the banded aiptasia is in solitary confinement.

NEW SCAPE!

Please ignore most things on the sand, the runaway mushrooms with the tulle, the PVC holders for the frags

IMG_20111010_191150.jpg

I ran out of epoxy if you can believe that so I have some more glue to put down but I'm going to leave this alone for about a week to recover. The top left rock has to be better balanced and glued down. I also like the mountain of palys on the curved rock (front center) so will be gluing that down then putting that rock on the top right shelf.

Not sure what to make of it yet. I'm still looking at it.

Looks great girl! Glad to see another reef chick out there doing the work! ;)

I am still waiting to get the first corals but I love your tank scape. I have some shelving too but I got lucky I guess being able to pile it without gluing anything as it all sat nicely together.

Awesome scape.

Looking Fab! I love the new scape.

I see you have a 'non-aquatic assistant' as well. I have one of the canine persuasion who likes to 'help' when the tools start coming out.

surgicalsense
Sheesh. What have I gotten myself into! Well, let's hope the instructions are in english.

IMG_20111009_145102.jpg

Is the cat going to supervise? Mine does the same, inspects first then gives the okay. So what is the plan with the power tools?

I bought more LR yesterday. Will post, now the tank looks like something totally worth showing.

As much as I like the aquascape in my 12 gallon (no rock leans on a wall), I'm seeing a whole lot of greatness in your scape. Far better than the crap I was coming up with when I first got mine. Think It is time I get a bunch of putty and take a day to re design my 20L.

I wish you luck on the rose coral. These do seem tuff though. When I ordered my gulf Rock, I accidentally boiled it. as in over 100 degree. 5 gallon bucket and didnt notice the heater was set on it's highest setting which was very high. Very few things survived. a small cucumber, mantis shrimp, aiptasia, and my rose.

I see you have a 'non-aquatic assistant' as well. I have one of the canine persuasion who likes to 'help' when the tools start coming out.

Is the cat going to supervise? Mine does the same, inspects first then gives the okay. So what is the plan with the power tools?

My feline observer likes to get into everything. Sat on the dremel manual as I was reading it too. He certainly inspects all packages as they are unwrapped, always expecting a treat. He's a bottomless pit too :)

wait, you're dremeling the cat?

awesome.

More like he's giving me pointers, he knows everything.

This is what my cat would do!

Crazy video. Woke my cat up. Search youtube for cat with iPad videos. They're awesome.

As much as I like the aquascape in my 12 gallon (no rock leans on a wall), I'm seeing a whole lot of greatness in your scape. Far better than the crap I was coming up with when I first got mine. Think It is time I get a bunch of putty and take a day to re design my 20L.

I wish you luck on the rose coral. These do seem tuff though. When I ordered my gulf Rock, I accidentally boiled it. as in over 100 degree. 5 gallon bucket and didnt notice the heater was set on it's highest setting which was very high. Very few things survived. a small cucumber, mantis shrimp, aiptasia, and my rose.

Thank you!

surgicalsense

Have you placed your new frags yet? :) I am sure it looks awesome. I love the variable of colors in your tank and the green....

Howdy from Hotlanta. From the NY meetup, I only got a blasto which is in the sand in the pic (post 103), and PINOY's very sweet gift of a blue hornet frag is in the PVC holder on the left shelf. I have some fish on hold at the store while I'm travelling. If anybody was following my Tank Sitter thread on reef cleaners. HE'S BAAACK! I'll have to revive the thread.

My previous frags (Duncan, Blue Zoas, Runaway mushrooms) are also still temporary. I ran out of epoxy.

I love the shelving idea for your aquascape! Now I'm tempted to change my scape around.

LOLat your tank sitter. I have a bubba in my tank too, but he's a Nerite snail who likes to crawl out of the tank every week.

I love the shelving idea for your aquascape! Now I'm tempted to change my scape around.

LOLat your tank sitter. I have a bubba in my tank too, but he's a Nerite snail who likes to crawl out of the tank every week.

Thanks! Shout out to your bubba. :)

surgicalsense

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing!

Moving my Froggy today, need to buy the gunk to glue down today and additional snails, water. :happy:

I'm glad I finally saw your tank thread. I always wondered about your avatars but now I understand. Nice job on the tank. I hope you find a scape that suits you to let this thing grow out. It looks really nice.

I'm glad I finally saw your tank thread. I always wondered about your avatars but now I understand. Nice job on the tank. I hope you find a scape that suits you to let this thing grow out. It looks really nice.

Thank you Dan

Now you're positive I'm a girl eh?

:@)

Archived