Top Shelf Aquatics

The Pod Farm

altolamprologus

Can Tisbe biminiensis survive a trip on a return pump?

I'm thinking of growing these guys in my Auto Top Off. I would have to be careful with the salinity on the main tank but I think adjusting salinity carefully with my weekly 15% water changes will work. I use a well calibrated refractometer.

There is an elegance to this solution since the main tank will be continuously dosed with Tisbe biminiensis on a regular basis automatically as long as I keep that population alive. The ATO tank would be a 10 gallon or 5.5 gallon reservoir with a SG of 1.22. I'll either use large sponges or live rock. Whenever I refill the ATO, I'll dose it with some flakes and pellets.

Being ATO means that I will be refreshing the water weekly with my water change. It kind of sounds perfect.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread cause I have questions...

First, does the stagnant water not get nasty without a lid or flow?

Second, I don't quite understand how to harvest the pods and then place in my main tank...

Was thinking of getting a 2-4 gallon container to sit in the corner of my counter. The 3 fish at the top of my want list tend to eat pods. I would obviously try to get them to eat frozen, but being able to add some pods wouldn't hurt, right?

• 1 year later...

this thread is old, but has been my reading today while at work when no one else is here. I am now leaving work, going to get some tisbe pods and starting at least two cultures in two liter bottles.

• 9 months later...

Can a mandarin live off of tisbe pods grown in 2 liter bottles with no supplemental feedings in a 34 gl cube with 25 lb of live rock and NO sump????

Archived