Top Shelf Aquatics

Glueing frags to live rock.

broxxor

Ok, so I'm obviously retarded.

I did the Loctite --> JB Waterweld ---> Loctite thing and it just didn't work.

I got one frag plug "semi secured" and another is "currently staying in place but I hope my clown doesn't take an interest in the coral on it".

lol Am I missing a step here or something? Or does it have a curing time in which its unstable?

Irregardless, probably better than "just sitting there" like they previously were.

splinter492

iv always just used the super glue to glue frags to the rocks. One time i did use some aquarium epoxy putty with a sandwich of superglue and yes it does require time to cure but otherwise superglue has always worked for me

Are you gluing it out of water or in the water? Hopefully out...

Dry the two contact spots with a paper towel first, then glob on some glue, and hold together for a few seconds. Once you put it in the water it should cure relatively fast.

Are you gluing it out of water or in the water? Hopefully out...

Dry the two contact spots with a paper towel first, then glob on some glue, and hold together for a few seconds. Once you put it in the water it should cure relatively fast.

The plug is out, the rock I'm glueing it to is in the water (which is why I'm using the sandwich method).

Removing the rocks from my tank isn't really an option.

chaostactics

add a dab of super glue to the frag, attach a small sphere of reef safe epoxy (stuff that comes in a stick that looks like playdough rolled out into a log) then another dab of super glue.

This sandwich/combo usually works best. Here's why:

1. When you initial glue the frag plug to the ball of epoxy with the first dab of super glue keeping it out of the water for 30 sec or so while you look at where you're going to place it allows the super glue to cure some (air and water cure the glue, not idea but its what happens in the reef setting.

2. When you press the frag into place on your rock work the sphere of epoxy distorts and molds to the shape of your rock work and frag/frag plug at the same time giving a good form fitting base for your frag to rock work interface.

3. The second dab of super glue (which begins to cure when exposed to water) along with the epoxy glues your frag into place. Make sure to hold it there for around 2 minutes for best results longer if you're mounting on a vert surface.

Lastly the frag plug has to have a rough surface to glue well, vendors who use ceramic tile should be keel hulled. If you have a crappy or overly smooth plug and its an SPS or LPS take the time to remove the coral from the plug before mounting it. This is also a good idea in most cases because you won't have a butt ugly plug in your tank. ALL frags I mount and sell are mounted on live rock rubble for a nice natural look.

super glue gel. i just got done gluing up my own zoa rock. the lfs guy hooked me up with about 15 random zoa/paly polyps including 2 magicians for 10 bucks, all i had to do was mount them to a rock, done with gel super glue (cyanoacrylate) and now i have a nice zoa/paly rock for 10.

When using the super glue gel put it on the frag plug and give it some time to dry (30 secounds) i have even seen people dribble some water on it to help dry it before putting the frag into the super glue. Also make sure that there is some rock or something on the bottom as super glue doesnt hold to there skin well. If you frag has no LR on the bottom then maybe rubber bands will work better or something to tie it to the plug

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to bump an old thread BUT - I'm OBVIOUSLY a failure at this.

No idea what I'm doing wrong here.

I had an Montipora Digitata that was glued down and looking good and it was knocked over by my clownfish (so obviously not glued down well enough).

I did a small ball of putty (dime sized) and then glued it from the putty to the frag, then put some glue on the putty and put it in the tank. Went back and forth a bit doing "semi circles" to "drill" it down and it stuck fine.

....for about a week.

now I had to move the montipora to a different spot (that's more level where it can be upright without the glue) but at the same time I have a mess of "dried putty" that's on a rock in my tank. Do I have to remove the rock to clean this off? I'm assuming it's no good for the tank.

Hate to bump an old thread BUT - I'm OBVIOUSLY a failure at this.

No idea what I'm doing wrong here.

What I do.....

Take a baster and blow the LR to make sure there's no crap on it.

Take the frag piece (wet or dry - dab with cloth to get excess water off)

Apply Loctite Super Glue Gel...not a dab, a big friggin blob

Press and twist a bit onto your live rock

Hold for a few seconds (maybe 10 or so?)

Try not to glue your hand to the frag and LR - that's the hardest part!

Has worked every time, some pieces can be a little more of a pain but not a big deal.

Good luck

• 9 years later...

I'm having the same issue, can I just use super glue and glue it to a rock in the tank because I can't take my rocks out. I will let it dry out of the tank on the bottom of my frag plug for about 30 seconds I don't really want to buy epoxy if it is required than I will. Is there anything wrong with what I'm doing?

I have never heard of taking rocks out of the tank to mount frags

For tiny frags

Put nitrile gloves on

Take tile nippers or bone cutters, cut off plug stub.  Cut off frag plug parts not attached to coral. Make it non circular, natural in shape as best you can

Take your long tweezers

Hold the plug with them

Put a nice big blob, about the size of a pea or peanut, of gel CA glue on bottom of plug

Gently place it under water

Remove it, it will form a thin skin of cured CA glue, when you are sure that the CA won't 'drip' off the base

Take your long tweezers and place the frag to the rock where you want it mounted.  Twist the frag plug back and forth to break the skin of the glue, against the rock

Use tip of tweezers to form the CA gel, it will be turning white by now, coming out from under the frag plug. To better attach the frag to the rock, and put a texture on it so that it doesn't look like a blob of CA glue

Done