Coral Vue Hydros

*Pictures!* Pong's 40B Tank

awpong

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, since the semester is coming to an end, I needed to figure out how the tank would survive an entire month while I'm in Texas and Costa Rica (Dec 20 - Jan 20). Unfortunately, I had to make some difficult decisions.

1st. I need to get rid of the lionfish. He's starting to outgrow the tank, and with me being out of town for a month, it's in his best interest to find a new home.

Therefore, I placed an ad on craigslist and found a buyer. The lionfish AND my lemonpeel angel will be moving to a new home next Thursday. It'll be quite the upgrade for them since they'll be upgrading from a 40B to a 210g tank (600g system).

2nd. I needed to decide what to do with the tank and it's two remaining inhabitants (Cleaner wrasse and a Cinnamon Clown). Was I going to move it into the Biology Department and ask my professors to take care of it? Leave it on autopilot with an ATO unit and an automatic feeder? Sell the remaining fish?

I have basically decided that I'll remove the two fish, and I'll let a local reefer hold onto them in his QT system. I've basically decided that this will be the best chance the fish have for survival. The RBTA and cuc will remain in the tank, which will remain in my room with a reduced light cycle (7-8 hours instead of 12). The tank will also be hooked up with an osmolator and multiple 5gallon buckets connected to each other via siphon.

I purchased two eheim auto feeders just in case the fish don't want to come out of the tank, but I'm leaning towards the idea that I won't need to use them.

fingerscrossed I hope everything works out for the best. fingerscrossed

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just sold my lionfish and my lemonpeel angel. :'(

Tomorrow the two remaining fish will be moved over to someone's 5000g holding system. I can't wait to come back in February and re-fish my systems.

Your lion fish was beautiful! im sorry about your luck with the dwarfs.. :( Lion fish are my fav fish and i have a dwarf zebra in my 29 bc and i love him ive had him for over six months no prob so i definitely encourage you to give another one a try because just like you i am in college but i dont live on campus so i always have my tanks. cant wait to see what you do in feb!

• 3 weeks later...
Your lion fish was beautiful! im sorry about your luck with the dwarfs.. :( Lion fish are my fav fish and i have a dwarf zebra in my 29 bc and i love him ive had him for over six months no prob so i definitely encourage you to give another one a try because just like you i am in college but i dont live on campus so i always have my tanks. cant wait to see what you do in feb!

I'm currently trying to decide how I'm going to restock my tank in Feb, and since I sold off my volitan and my lemon peel angel, the only fish left from that tank are my cleaner wrasse and my cinnamon clownfish. Unfortunately, my fish sitter messaged me the other day and told me that my cinnamon decided to pick up the hobbies of skydiving and carpet surfing and didn't make it.

So my current plan is to:

• keep my cleaner wrasse
  • Add my bangaii cardinal form my 20L
  • and I'm debating adding a tomato and a new cinnamon clown to the tank to create a mixed pair

That leaves me with 4 fish, but still plenty of room in the tank. I can either fill the tank's capacity by:

• adding another dwarf lionfish
  • or! add more smaller active fish.

If i went with the latter route, then I don't know what type of fish I'd want. Perhaps a sunburst anthias, but what else? Another bangaii cardinal perhaps...

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Lee Van Reef

Anthias would be pretty tight. They say you can keep one singly in a smaller tank but multiples need a larger system. I'd venture to say that you can prolly keep two though.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got back to my dorm yesterday and both of my tanks were alive and well. Fortunately, I didn't have any fatalities!

Because my RO/DI unit is at the post office which won't open until tomorrow, I decided to wait to retrieve my fish from the tank sitter until I was able to perform a large water change. However, I did test the water quality and was pleased to find every single reading to be perfect! Even better, all of my nuisance algae in both tanks was magically gone! Muahahahhahah!

Anyways... since the water was perfect, I decided today would be a great day to take advantage of my LFS's sales and purchase some new fish.

To replace my Cinnamon clown that decided to carpet surf at my tank sitter's house, I purchased two small tomato clowns. These guys are both ORA from two different brood stocks. My only regret is that they didn't instantly take a liking to my RBTA like my wild caught cinnamon did. Oh well, I'm currently trying the picture method to coerce them into it.

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

Well I've added a few fish since my last update.

Last Wednesday, I added my bangaii cardinal from my 20L and re-added the cleaner wrasse.

Then today, I went out and bought an amazing linespot flasher wrasse and a sunburst anthers. The flasher wrasse is one of the coolest fish I've ever seen! It can change from bright red to metallic teal and every color in between. It's an amazing fish.

Sorry it's not a great picture of the flasher wrasse, but at least you can see him flash.

FlasherWrasse.jpg

StarbursAnthias.jpg

Here are a bunch of new pics of my two new additions!

The anthias is a deep water fish, so it's going to take a while for it to adjust to my tank's lighting. However it's slowly coming around and relying less on the shelter of it's overhang.

SunburstAnthias.jpg

And here's the real star of the show, the flasher wrasse!

FlasherWrasse1.jpg

FlasherWrasse2.jpg

His colors are stunning, and his ability to change colors is even more astonishing.

From red in the previous pictures, here he is fashioning a nice shade of purple.

FlasherWrasse3.jpg

And here he is full blown flashing! Look at that color of on dorsal fins!

FlasherWrasse4.jpg

What a boss.

Love the colors on that flasher! Have you considered getting him a girl so he flashes more?

Yea, and I almost bought one of his harem at the store yesterday too. I hesitated because I hadn't done enough research on them first and wasn't too sure how well a pair would handle in my tank. Unfortunately, after a little research, I found that it's usually recommended to add any females before the male is in the tank. I'm not really sure how it will play out if I added a female now.

Do any fairy wrasse experts that happen to read my thread know the answer?

I would add another flasher so they will flash at each other IMO and from what i have read they really color up with 2. I have 2 mccosker flashers one male and one female and its pretty cool watching them.

I would add another flasher so they will flash at each other IMO and from what i have read they really color up with 2. I have 2 mccosker flashers one male and one female and its pretty cool watching them.

well I went ahead and bought him two females this afternoon. They seem to be getting along fine now, but it took them a little to get used to each other.

here's a picture of my new wrasse harem.

WrasseHarem.jpg

And here's a video of the harem and my tank being fed.

I just put it up a minute ago, so it might not be viewable to everyone just yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally going to begin turning my ex dwarf lion tank into a BTA heavy tank. I'd like to get a bunch of different color morphs for it.

Unfortunately I've only got two at the moment and my new Tomato clown doesn't know she can host. It makes me miss my Cinnamon clown may she R.I.P.

Here's a current FTS with my wrasse harem and the two RBTAs. I'm constantly on the look out for nice new nems at great prices.

40BFeb2012.jpg

and here's the newest nem. This RBTA is about 6-8 inches long. Only 3/4 - half of it is visible on the FTS because it's half under the rock.

Anemone.jpg

I had a good picture of it all bubbled up, but I accidentally deleted when I cleared the memory on my camera's card.

I do however have a crappy picture of it from my phone.

f4327f94.jpg

Finally got a picture of my male flasher wrasse showing off.

Here's him normally:

FlasherWrasse2.jpg

And here he is flashing.... Even though I managed to get a pic of it, they're not that great. I'll keep trying.

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

cool fish! Im trying to sell my black perc pair to get a couple flashers, I love the colors on yours. Really nice tomato clown too btw

• 4 weeks later...

Well I came back from spring break this week and was happy to find my tomato inside my RBTAs :)

TomatoRBTA.jpg

40Breeder.jpg

I've also noticed that my flasher wrasse male has been undergoing a color change over the past few weeks and has developed a bluer hue. Apparently it's a rare variation of the normal Line Spot Flasher wrasse in which males develop more blue than red. I guess he's now considered a "super male" wrasse?

FlasherWrasseBlue.jpg

The colors didn't come out well in the picture - I don't know why. But you can at least see the purple-blue tinge to his scales now. He looks cooler in person. I tried to adjust for his proper color, but it was hard to do without turning him pink. He looks more like this picture I found online:

1337477.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, pimp tank dude.

How old was your tank when you added the RBTA?

I want nothing but anemones but my tank is only 1.5 months running.

Archived