SaltCritters.com

*Pictures!* Pong's 40B Tank

awpong

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, I just received the rest of my order from reefcleaners this morning. So now I've got some flame macro algae and ulva in the tank too, in addition to 29 more nassarius vibex and 15 more Florida ceriths. But the funny thing was, when I was gluing my algae onto the rock, my cleaner wrasse started to clean my hands. It was awesome :P

Just picked up 50 live ghost shrimp in preparation for the lions' arrival tomorrow :)

I tore down my American eel tank and used that as a storage for these shrimp. A bunch of the shrimp are already carrying clusters of eggs, but since I don't plan on isolating them, they probably won't hatch. Anyways, I'll probably be gut loading these shrimp with hikari frozen krill and cyclopeeze until I can train the lions to eat the krill on their own.

:) I'm so excited haha, tomorrow at 3pm my 9 months of planning will come to fruition!!!

MY LIONS ARE HERE!!!!!!

They're still acclimating so I can't get any good pics of them because my room is so dark, but... once in the tank... PICS GALORE!

PS: They're each a little over 3."

PSS: The Fuzzy is a male. (he kinda looks red-ish, but that's without proper lighting at the moment)

Here's pics as soon as I put them in the tank!:

87facb30.jpg

5afb90cd.jpg

f8754541.jpg

42fe95c4.jpg

e0bfc49c.jpg

4fbb07f4.jpg

how hard are these to keep?

ive always wanted one ever since i seen one at a hotel tank

They're supposed to be really easy. I'll soon find out

They look so cool... To bad they are taking over all of the natural reefs lol.

Yea, but not these two species :)

I know a few people that have these... all I got to say is I hope you know how to get ghost shrimp lol.

I bought 50 yesterday, but I plan on having them trained on frozen krill within 2-3 weeks tops.

Thanks everyone :)

By the way, frozen training these guys is going to be a piece of cake. I just fed them to make sure that they were eating. I used 2 ghost shrimp and just held them in front of the lions using a pair of tongs. The shrimp were basically paralyzed from the shock of FW to SW and didn't move at all, but the lions still devoured them :)

More pics. Here's a pic of the zebra inside one of my caves.

938a75fa.jpg

Here's the fuzzy dwarf's true colors with the lights on. He's awesome!

55a7b982.jpg

I'm in the process of doing research to invest in an actual camera so I can take good pics of my tanks. I just need to find the right camera. I'm not thinking DSLR since that's a lot of money for a camera that I'm only going to be usin for my tank. I'm thinking $300-500 for a decent point and shoot.

That fuzzy is amazing... Why cant i live in a warehouse so I can just stock it with 40 gallon breeders lol.

And if ur willing to spend 300-500$ you should just get a used DSLR off craigslist. They have some amazing cameras in my area going pretty cheap. If I could just stop buying other things lol... Like a motorcycle... :P

As I said. Once the lions in the tank, pics galore! But here's a feeding video. I've fed each of the two new fish two ghost shrimp each. Here's my fuzzy eating one.

th_74af9737.jpg

Even more pics!!!

Since I was able to catch a nice pic of my fuzzy earlier, he's a nice pic of my zebra:

1948b077.jpg

FTS where you can see 3 of the 4 fish. A cleaner wrasse, lemonpeel angel, and the zebra lionfish. The Fuzzy is hiding under the rock.

27695ae5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've got a few updates:

1. Unfortunately my zebra lion didn't make it past 26 hours in my tank. Fortunately liveaquaria refunded me 100% for his cost, but it still sucks that I lost him.
  2. The cleaner wrasse has officially cured my lemonpeel angel of any signs of parasitic copepods. Both fish are happy and fat. The cleaner wrasse eats anything and everything: Mysis, Ghost Shrimp, Nori Sheets, Cyclopeeze, Copepods, Amphipods, Bristle Worms, you name it, he eats it! I don't think I'll have to worry about keeping him well fed.
  3. My fuzzy lion just ate his very first piece of frozen krill today :) I've attempted to feed him frozen four times now:
    • The first attempt (Monday), he followed the krill, but it floated to the surface and he lost interest.
    • Second attempt (Wednesday), I used the head of of a silverside. He tried to eat it, but I guess it was too big for him. He stalked it as the current blew it into the corner of some of my rocks, but lost interest when it stopped moving.
    • Third attempt (Friday), he showed 0 interest in the silver sides. I think it may be because I was using the exact same pieces I used on Wednesday. I ended up tossing the heads of the silversides in my ghost shrimp tank so that they could gut load off of that.
    • And now today, on the fourth attempt (Monday), he gobbled a piece of krill right up. I did have to wiggle it around a bit, but he ate it all.

[*]I'm having some issues with dinoflagellates in my tank. Does anyone know an easy cure for these? I know that they're usually very difficult to get rid of, and are surprisingly quite rare, but I'm hoping that since they're in a FOWLR system, I can just cut off the lights for a week and starve 'em out.

Archived