• Cleaner Wrasse (Juanita)
  • Linespot Flasher Wrasse Harem (MFF)
  • Tomato Clownfish
  • Bangaii Cardinal
  • 2x Rainbow/Rose Bubble Tip Anemone

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the summer ending soon, I decided that I should start setting up my lionfish tank. I want to have the tank ready for when I move in to my house next semester, so that I can fill up the tank and get things started ASAP.

I already purchased the 40B a while back at the beginning of Petco's $1 per gallon sale, and I painted the back of the tank yesterday afternoon.

d8b827b8.jpg

2cb2c45e.jpg

d842338a.jpg

Eventually I hope to fill this beauty with a few dwarf lions. Either two fuzzies, a MFF group of fuzzies, or one zebra and one fuzzy dwarf. They torment me every time I visit the LFS and I keep having to resist buying them! BUT SOON!

98d3489b.jpg

Anyways, I also just purchased a cheap POS light fixture from aquatraders. Since the tank is just going to be a FOWLR with my lions, I don't need any fancy lighting. I went ahead and bought http://www.aquatraders.com/36-inch-2x39W-T...ure-p/52122.htm.

But now I'm wondering what type of powerheads and heater I should get. I've been thinking about two 100W tetra heaters and two korallia 750.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Temperatu...82.html?tc=fish

http://www.bigalsonline.com/Koralia-Evolut...LineId=94735361

What do y'all think about that? I've heard that lions don't like too much flow, but I think that these will suffice. And as for the heaters, I was thinking I'd prefer two smaller heaters compared to a single larger one (just-in-case), and I've never had anything but good results with the tetra heaters so far. *knock on wood*

I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do for a skimmer. If I don't feel up to buying something new, I might just move the Aqua C Remora that's currently on my 20L reef over to this tank.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should try and find one yellow and one red fuzzy that would be super neat.

Haha, I'll try, but the yellow ones are really hard to come by. I did manage to find a red one this weekend while I was making my weekly fish store stops, but I couldn't take him home with me :'(. The tank still won't be ready till mid-late September :'(.

are those heaters filled with black sand?

also, does your lion have a name :flower:?

I think so. Why? I've been using the tetra heaters for 3-4 years now and haven't had any issues with them. That's more than I can say for most heaters that I've tried.

I wish that was my lion lol. It was just one of the many hypnotic fish that torment me every time I visit the LFS haha. I will however be in need of a few good names to give my lions once they are in fact, mine.

Hey Pong, I saw a yellow and orange dwarf fuzzy this past weekend and it was by far the coolest fish I have ever seen. Hands down.

Good luck with this.

Hey Pong, I saw a yellow and orange dwarf fuzzy this past weekend and it was by far the coolest fish I have ever seen. Hands down.

Good luck with this.

Haha, I've got friends out in Denver and Golden, maybe I should get one of them to buy it for me and hold on till I'm ready :P

The lights arrived today.

b966f3cd.jpg

65efbef7.jpg

Now I just need to order my heaters and power heads. I'm thinking I'll do 2x Koralia 550s since lions don't like that much flow. If it's not enough, I have a few smaller power heads laying around that I can throw in the tank.

Got even more goodies for my lion tank this morning :)

51c0927b.jpg

1e701a80.jpg

PS: Does anyone have experience with an American eel? I caught one a few weeks ago during a field research trip, and decided to keep him. Right now he's in a FW tank, but I was curious if anyone has ever raised them in a fully marine setting. I know that they're catadramous and naturally migrate to saltwater to breed, but I was curious if anyone has legitimately raised them in saltwater. I've read that people have done it before, and studies have proved that it actually increases their growth rate. But my question is... Does anyone on this site have any first hand experience?!

Here's a pic of my little guy eating some frozen blood worms.

79e32f2b.jpg

my brother had a lion fish in his 29 gallon, very awesome fish.

Yea. They're my favorite fish. Well, not necessarily the dwarfs, but I've grown to love them almost equally as much. Since I'm still in college, I don't have the room to set up a larger tank to house the big boys.

Anyways, they're so hypnotic! I can't wait till I get them in my tank. I just received my another AquaC Remora that I'll be using for this tank. It came with a preskimmer attachment too (Surface skimmer), but I may end up using that attachment for my Remora on my 20L.

I also was contacted by a local reefer who has some pest free live rock for sale at $2 a pound, so I'll probably that as opposed to buying a bunch of macro rock.

Current Plan: Move the tank to my house on August 10th or 11th. Fill up with water, sand, and rock on the 11th. Leave for Houston from the 12th - 27th. 50% water change and water testing on the 27th. If all parameters are good to go, DWARF LIONS BY EARLY SEPTEMBER! fingerscrossed:haha:omgomgomg:haha:fingerscrossed

Sand arrived today!

36ff7a93.jpg

Less than a month away from my dwarfs.... It's bad. I'm not patient at all. I have to cope with youtube videos of them until I get my own.

Good news, I can set up the tank on the 10th! tick tock tick tock

• 2 weeks later...

CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!

As I was moving my tank upstairs into my house, extremely excited to fill it with water and set it up...... this happened:

824ab26e.jpg

As I was walking up the stairs I bumped it against the wall and FML.

It looks like I need to buy another tank since it sounds really difficult to replace the glass pane. I found a guy on craigslist whose selling them for $65 a piece. Hopefully he'll respond to me tonight.

Well I ended up getting a new tank today and setting that up instead.

I'm going to pick up some LR and fill the tank with sand later tonight, but here's a current picture of the tank. I'm still trying to get the right salinity at the moment.

e8a942e3.jpg

Just put the sand in. d0ada85e.jpg

I tried to reduce the cloudiness by placing the bags in the water and pouring the sand out that way. it worked great until I tried to even out the sand with my hand haha. but anyways, I'll get some LR tonight and post a few aquascapes tomorrow; or maybe tonight depending on how fast my water clears up. The sand came with that biomagnetic crap that says helps clarify the water quicker. We shall see.

Alright. I scaped it last night, but once the water cleared this morning, I didn't think that the structure was stable enough. That and it didn't have enough caves for my dwarfs.

a7eb4fc1.jpg

So I ended up rescaping to create some caves and overhangs for them.

Sorry that the water is cloudy again.

f4f28351.jpg

Cave 1

97e5b28c.jpg

Cave 2 (Has 2 entrances. One on each side of the middle rock.)

dfa15a76.jpg

Cloudy Side View

a720892c.jpg

Archived