Top Shelf Aquatics

Cape Horn

JoelRHale

Well ####.

Flame angel is dead.

What am I doing wrong? :huh:

Probably nothing. But I feel for you!

I would think that if there was something wrong with your water, measureable or not, your corals would show signs. Hang in there dude.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're buying fish that have diseases already.

You can't see the problem, because it's microscopic. ;)

Happen's to the best of us.

Geeze...I wish you'd catch a break already!!!!! As sad as it is to lose the Flame....it may be a blessing in disguise. He was pretty aggressive and may have continually caused problems with each new addition. I'm trying to see this from a positive standpoint

:grouphug:

Probably nothing. But I feel for you!

I would think that if there was something wrong with your water, measureable or not, your corals would show signs. Hang in there dude.

That's what I was thinking to so I rechecked, and everything is fine. My dad works for Pfizer and I'm going to ask him to test some of my water if the lab he manages can test. Maybe there's something harming them that isn't normally tested for in aquaria. I thought it could be copper but I know inverts are more sensitive so that doesn't make sense.

Damn man!

I am so sorry, all that's left is the Anthias now?

Yup, just him.

I still think you should investigate potential cult activity.

You might be right.

You're buying fish that have diseases already.

You can't see the problem, because it's microscopic. ;)

Happen's to the best of us.

You always make sense. :) what's the longest a disease can stay in the tank without a fish? If the anthias dies I'm just going to go fishless until I know it's clean.

Geeze...I wish you'd catch a break already!!!!! As sad as it is to lose the Flame....it may be a blessing in disguise. He was pretty aggressive and may have continually caused problems with each new addition. I'm trying to see this from a positive standpoint

I'm trying to be positive. And on a positive note, the Yuma is turning blue:

ICkVh.jpg

Also, the second clown body surfaced and let me say that was one of the most foul things I've ever smelled. I nearly threw up. :eek:

I'm glad you were able to get the body out!!!!

That yuma is beautiful, Joel!!!!

Thank you :)

Did I miss something? Your clown died too!?

Yup, in 48 hours I lost 4 fish. Starry Blenny, clowns and now the flame. Putting total loss around $120. This is the biggest loss I've had in all my years of fish keeping and it sucks.

Don't know much about SW fish pathology, but alot of paracites live in many different stages, so alot of them are in some dormant stage and always in the water column. I also would think that if you did have some "fish disease" floating around in the that the anthias would have got it right off the bat.

Maybe just bad luck?

Oh no! Sorry to hear about yet another fish. Don't get discouraged though, you're tank is still amazing.

I know the recommendation I got when I was trying to figure out if my fish had brooklynella or ich was to let the DT run fishless for 6-8 weeks. I think thats long enough for the life cycle of most of the parasites.

I hope you now have a run of awesome luck after all of this! And the yuma is gorgeous :D

Don't know much about SW fish pathology, but alot of paracites live in many different stages, so alot of them are in some dormant stage and always in the water column. I also would think that if you did have some "fish disease" floating around in the that the anthias would have got it right off the bat.

Maybe just bad luck?

Do you think that my UV will kill it over time?

Oh no! Sorry to hear about yet another fish. Don't get discouraged though, you're tank is still amazing.

I know the recommendation I got when I was trying to figure out if my fish had brooklynella or ich was to let the DT run fishless for 6-8 weeks. I think thats long enough for the life cycle of most of the parasites.

I hope you now have a run of awesome luck after all of this! And the yuma is gorgeous :D

I think I might just go fishless until I move/upgrade.

I'm hoping my coral experience the exact opposite of what my fish are experience.

That's horrible Joel. Sorry to hear that bro. On a side note, that Yuma is beautiful!

Thanks! It's going to be okay though, the anthias might die, it might not. I'll have new coral this week so it can only go up from here.

hey Joel, sorry I haven't been around...the tanks at Bass Pro have kept me more than busy. 8 weeks is the normal for fallow periods on tanks, you could bump your temp a degree or two to help speed up the life cycle of any parasites. next time a fish dies try to get a scrape from behind the pectoral fin region, and the lateral line. use a slide cover and just get the slime coat. then take a small pair of scissors if you have them and get a clipping of the gill membranes, put all that on a slide and see if you're dad's techs can look at it under a scope...that will help you determine if you have cilliates, parasites, flukes and what not. I just recently had to perform a necropsy on my beloved Queen Angel from the display at Bass Pro... poor girl was full of worms. pop me a PM if you need any help with anything, seems the past 6 months all I've done is look at my fish under a microscope :(

You always make sense. :)

I try...

There are times, that I make no sense at all. :lol:

what's the longest a disease can stay in the tank without a fish?

Not really positive here.

I know recomended QT is something ridiculous, like 6 month's.

At least that's what a lot of the guys w/ HUGE (1,000g+) tanks do... :eek:

Truth is... When you buy a fish, make sure it's eating.

ALWAYS make the LFS proves to you, in person, that it eats.

If they drop food in the tank, and it has no interest, it has a gut problem.

Don't let them feed you that "they just ate" line, either.

A fish that eats is healthy, and more able to fight disease/bacterial infection.

I know I prolly have some becteria, or disease ridden microbes in my tank;

But, I also have very healthey fish.... Minus the firefish, and runt Barnacle blenny.

If the anthias dies I'm just going to go fishless until I know it's clean.

I hope he lives... He's purrdy. :D

Very useful information.

Thanks for the suggestion, if the anthias dies I will certainly do that. Sorry for your loss as well, I can imagine how that feels and it's never good.

Good stuff too.

I think I just might not add anymore fish until I go to the 75 :lol: I know that's just the cynic in me right now but that's how I feel.

The flame ate for me at the store. Stupid anthias hasn't eaten yet. But the rest of the stuff is all good.

----------

In other news my secret Santa stuff came which was a spirit booster! Thanks Mark! Updated FTS when the water clears.

I may have missed this in the perpetual party that is your thread, but are you sourcing all your fish from the same place? Ubernoob thought, but just curious.

Ack man.

IDK I would just watch the anthias for now, I bet you he is eating something to still be alive.

I can't believe your fish all died like that. I would be putting off any fish additions as well.

They were all healthy and eating too....

Love the Yuma, wish I could get mine back to being purdy like that.

Maybe time to start a QT for your fish...... (I need one too I am a procrastinator)

Fish can go a crazy long time without eating, but you're right, I don't think a high metabolism fish like an anthias would do well without getting something in there.

As for qt and additions, I am strongly considering my previous statement of not adding anything until I have the new set up. But qt will be part of any new set up from now on.

Thanks about the Yuma, it's really a neat color :) and I have 6 Yuma babies developing nicely. They are all between dime and nickel size.

Tell me about it! Things are going to turn around though. I've let myself sulk for a few days but now it's just looking forward to the future and sourcing my fish from better vendors.

It's crazy how luck runs in this hobby. I've gone years without losing fish. In fact, I've lost more fish in the last few days than I have in my last 3 tanks spanning 6-7 years.

Thanks, the Yuma is a boss. :)

I would hate to see this tank not have a fish, it's been so active. Just sucks I would be so frustrated losing that all in the course of 24 hours.

Still though the corals are happy, and the New stressed fish is still alive so it shouldn't be your water, or something weird in there. Probably just set the balance out of wack and it all went crazy for a day.

As always Joel keep your head up and be cheerful, it'll work itself out. :flower:

Well ####.

Flame angel is dead.

What am I doing wrong? :huh:

I think its more common that they die then you would think. I personally know a lot of people and have heard even more about their flames dying. Possibly due to the age of your tank?

Tell me about it! Things are going to turn around though. I've let myself sulk for a few days but now it's just looking forward to the future and sourcing my fish from better vendors.

It's crazy how luck runs in this hobby. I've gone years without losing fish. In fact, I've lost more fish in the last few days than I have in my last 3 tanks spanning 6-7 years.

That always seems to be how it goes. My cichlids had been great (other than one or two losses from some aggression) and I didn't lose a single fish when I had my freshwater tank in Gainesville. Then my saltwater tank had that brooklynella outbreak and I lost 4 fish.

And don't sulk anymore. Your tank still kicks @$$. I've been thoroughly reading your thread for ideas for my upgrade since our tanks are now similar dimensions. I hope my upgrade looks even half as awesome as yours turned out. :D

Archived