Pod Your Reef

Cape Horn

JoelRHale

Happy Easter Joel!

OH news! I am just moving everything to the 40B instead of lifting the bowfront to the new stand. I am NOT looking forward to finding all the snails and the Yasha and Pistol! Bleh! -_-

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm about to start a thread about clams tomorrow, my friend with the clam fetish has been doing some research and was interested in answers from our forum members.

But in a nutshell his feedback is showing that Maxima clams are already sick by the time any of us are purchasing it.

I am curious to see what answers I will get on the post I do.

Talked to a friend on the phone for 35 minutes while sitting in front of the tank, look who came to visit:

anVJx.jpg

He still won't go into the light (maybe he's seen Raiders of the Lost Ark too many times).

This guy is a character:

BoDAK.jpg

This morning, before the lights came on, I saw my Trochus Snail for the first time since I last posted a picture (November I believe):

m9NBt.jpg

He is almost plum sized. He is massive. B)

Moar pitchurs! :) Your emerald crab is so cute! And I really like your lobster. :)

Moar pictures soon, and thanks. I like them both too. :)

Looks good Joel! ;)

Thanks!

Explain how you dd it and why it sucked?

I half drained it and then moved it by myself. It wasn't that bad tbh.

What I can't picture is, on top of making sure all of your stuff is packed, you have sloshing bags of life depending on you that you have to deal with in addition to the rest of the stresses accompanied with moving.

Lobster!

I sat in front of my tank for hours tonight.

Isn't it weird that something as large as that snail can go unseen for months? That still blows my mind in this hobby.

Lobster!

Isn't it weird that something as large as that snail can go unseen for months? That still blows my mind in this hobby.

+1

Moar pictures soon, and thanks. I like them both too. :)

Thanks!

I half drained it and then moved it by myself. It wasn't that bad tbh.

What I can't picture is, on top of making sure all of your stuff is packed, you have sloshing bags of life depending on you that you have to deal with in addition to the rest of the stresses accompanied with moving.

I purchased my 55g from someone on Craigslist and had to move it approx 45-60 minutes away. It was completely stocked when I purchased it so I took everything. Basically I just had a bunch of home depot buckets that I lined with trash bags. I then filled them with water from the tank to take established water with me. Some of the buckets were filled with live rock and others with fish. The ones with LR or fish I put a towel on top of the bag in the bucket then put a lid on it.

A few inches of water was left in the tank to keep the live sand wet and alive and then everything was loaded into a truck and was stuck in place.

Luckily the drive wasn't too bad. Mainly highways and not too many turns. Everything went fine though.

Lobster!

+1

Thanks guys! Yeah it's crazy that I never see that guy. He's a tank.

I purchased my 55g from someone on Craigslist and had to move it approx 45-60 minutes away. It was completely stocked when I purchased it so I took everything. Basically I just had a bunch of home depot buckets that I lined with trash bags. I then filled them with water from the tank to take established water with me. Some of the buckets were filled with live rock and others with fish. The ones with LR or fish I put a towel on top of the bag in the bucket then put a lid on it.

A few inches of water was left in the tank to keep the live sand wet and alive and then everything was loaded into a truck and was stuck in place.

Luckily the drive wasn't too bad. Mainly highways and not too many turns. Everything went fine though.

That's crazy! I've driven 30 cichlids from a breeder in Ohio about 70-80 miles on mainly back roads but that's the farthest I've gone and didn't have to worry about anything else. I have an outlet in my car and a dual outlet air pump and two sponge filters so I have 5 gallon lids with airline tubing holes drilled in them. When I was breeding/selling cichlids a lot I used that a lot but not so much anymore.

Hey Joel! Glad to see all is well in NR land.

Love the vid, sig and the new pics!!!

I'm glad things are well too! And thanks, I'll probably put some more pictures up soon.

surgicalsense
m9NBt.jpg

He is almost plum sized. He is massive. B)

Wow, yours is bigger then mine :P ... and it is in the sand bed?

Wow, yours is bigger then mine :P ... and it is in the sand bed?

Yeah, every other time I've seen him, he's been up high. It was a surprise to see him on the sand bed.

surgicalsense
Yeah, every other time I've seen him, he's been up high. It was a surprise to see him on the sand bed.

When I first purchased the trochus the LFS warned me that the snail can not go into the sand. :huh: it will choke and die. Also, since I never see the snail freely move across the sand. I figured this was fact. Now with your picture evidence, I have doubt :P unless it is because your sand granuals are large that is it moving across in the picture.

The sand is pretty find in some areas. All I know is that he was cruising faster than I thought a snail could cruise across the sand and then went straight up the glass. :lol:

The sand is pretty find in some areas. All I know is that he was cruising faster than I thought a snail could cruise across the sand and then went straight up the glass. :lol:

Awesome mental image!

how far did you have to move?

Awesome mental image!

:lol:

how far did you have to move?

Personally, I only moved my tank 3 feet. And it was just to make room for the (then) new 40 breeder.

see that's my conundrum too. I have to move it about 10 ft. bloody hell.

Just take as much water out as you can. That will help you most. Then if you still can't move it, put rocks in the buckets. You probably won't have to completely empty it to move it. It's a pain in the ass though. Good luck! Have fun in ATL.

Personally, I only moved my tank 3 feet. And it was just to make room for the (then) new 40 breeder.

3 feet? Really? :lol:

Thanks, Ethan and I are going to play draw something over dinner. :rolleyes:

And I can't take out the rocks, the scape is cemented down like Fort Knox.

We could use real pen and paper this time. ;)

:lockdown:

I don't think I'll get one. And if I do, I have the luxury of preferring the look of the $40-50 derasa clams. I said it earlier but I know bristle worms irritate clams and I have a huge population of them, easily over 100. They are starting to dwindle though as my larger cleaner shrimp likes to eat them. I've caught him doing it several times now.

In this case, if you decide to get a clam, is your option then limited to clams that prefer rocks like a maxima, so that it isn't sitting on the sand?

In this case, if you decide to get a clam, is your option then limited to clams that prefer rocks like a maxima, so that it isn't sitting on the sand?

Strangely, I have more bristle worms in the rocks than in the sand. I like the look of a clam in the sand (:lol:) and I much rather prefer the gold Derasa clams over the blue maxima ones.

You and Ethan are going out for dinner? :naughtydance:
  • Lounge up another thread. We can do it here, but I want things to straighten out for a while first.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just keeping this clean. I wouldn't mind if you brought that up, so long as your post was also reef related. I want this to be a fun place but also on topic.

Archived