Cultivated Reef

Cape Horn

JoelRHale

I'll look when I get home.

I don't allow the morans around here access to Dropbox.

Ok

What do you mean? Sorry I don't understand what you said.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're hosting your files on Dropbox and I don't allow access to Dropbox through our firewall.

I'm at work.

Oh, it's a public file but I guess firewalls are firewalls..

Are you Kidding me! :huh: How are they even open! :lol:

How's it going in the Cape Joel? Saw on FB you wanted to go shooting! Damn being in a different state! I could definitely squeeze a few rounds off right now! ;)

I have no idea, the store was pretty crowded though.

The Cape is doing well. I do want to go shooting. I bought about $200 worth of .45acp, 9mm, and 12g slugs and I want to make some noise. :)

I've seen prices like that at the one LFS here that I mainly went to for FW, they have great selection of FW and plants. SW, not so much... I don't know anyone who would pay $50 for a brain that is half way dead. Another SW is hit and miss, I think their SPS prices are pretty high for what they are.

Those google glasses are ridiculous.

Those candy basslets are cool though! Someone on here has them... Med maybe? I'm pretty sure it was him. They're beautiful!

MedRed had them, I'm not sure if he still does. I bet he does though.

:huh: I am sure those frags have been sitting in their tanks for a long while now. Where they huge?

The green zoas were maybe 20 polyps, the mushrooms were only 3 and brown, and the Xenia was maybe a 2x2 square.

Here is the site as promised, All About JavaScript

This took me 5 hours in total to do.

If you can view page source any comments on the code would be appreciated. Thanks!

Also, here is the other website, but since I programmed it on a 1200 x 1800 pixel screen the aligning will be messed up unless you have a 1200 x 1800 screen.

All About Little Rock Arkansas

Keep in mind these were for school projects and I'm an 8th grader.

Any tips are appreciated! :)

I can't comment on the code because I don't know how to code, but design wise here are a few ideas. I know you're in 8th grade so these aren't criticisms, but ways you could make these look better than 8th grade projects. Since you pride yourself in being top of the class, the next logical step is to be better than high school students.

You should read up on principals of design. Principals like: movement, economy, scale, proportion, texture, contrast, and the golden mean. You should also read up on how colors interact with each other, the different kind of color palettes like analogous, monotone, complementary, etc. Typographic principals like legibility and type setting are good too. In your body copy about why you like little rock, it was well written but less is more, elegant > wordy. I don't like how schools assign word counts to assignments, it encourages students to "fluff" up their writing only to get to college and learn that that's not how you're supposed to write.

Again, I'm very impressed with your work at your age, those are just tips from someone with a degree in design on how you could work at a professional level before you're even a teenager. B)

Your teacher sounds like a liberal.

Bahaha. :D

Thanks Joel! Ironically, I'm reading the chapter in my programming book on design layout, and I have watched multiple videos on layout. Unfortunately this project had a very short due date and I have a computer time limit, I couldn't really play with the layout much on this project, the Little Rock project I had about a month to do and that was my first really ever "big" HTML project I've done. I really played around with divs and absolute and relative positioning and z-indexes with that one. This one I couldn't cause it's due tommarow actually and it was assigned Teusday.

I have a question- In your opinion, do the colors I'm using on the JavaScript site go together or "blend well"? I really really don have my mom's eye for color palets and like you said, I should really read up on them. I turned the grey into a darker one so maybe everything would pop and I thought so, but maybe not. I don't know. I am still young and I really want to pursue this as a career do I am destined to get better.

Thanks!

Are you allowed to create design elements in a separate program like Photoshop or Illustrator and use those embedded images to help create the layout you want to see?

Just got done with a 6 mile run. Thought of you!

Nice!

I have a question- In your opinion, do the colors I'm using on the JavaScript site go together or "blend well"? I really really don have my mom's eye for color palets and like you said, I should really read up on them. I turned the grey into a darker one so maybe everything would pop and I thought so, but maybe not. I don't know. I am still young and I really want to pursue this as a career do I am destined to get better.

No, but it's more the background that hurts it. If you're using a black background you should use something like white, light grey, yellow, nothing neon. The blue background/green lettering of the little rock page needs more contrast too. I'd encourage you to get an art book on design, I'll see what mine is and tell you. It's short but is pretty much all inclusive. I've used it a lot. If you want to pursue this as a career then you can benefit from reading more college level stuff in your off time. B)

Are you allowed to create design elements in a separate program like Photoshop or Illustrator and use those embedded images to help create the layout you want to see?

Depends on program I'm using an how I employment it into the page. I'm sure I could, but I'm not that experienced in graphic design or anything like that, give me code and a good amount of time and I'll make a layout for you, you pick your own colors! Lol, I'd like to know how to, but my eye for design is not yet that advanced.

*emplement

Nice!

No, but it's more the background that hurts it. If you're using a black background you should use something like white, light grey, yellow, nothing neon. The blue background/green lettering of the little rock page needs more contrast too. I'd encourage you to get an art book on design, I'll see what mine is and tell you. It's short but is pretty much all inclusive. I've used it a lot. If you want to pursue this as a career then you can benefit from reading more college level stuff in your off time. B)

Thank you. I at first though that when my dad said "this is hurting my eyes, it's hard to read" he was either getting blind or just getting old. I now know what he means, oh well no time to fix it, already turned it in, but I'll be ready for next time!

Another question-I've always been told if you want to bring out the colors and it to be flashy to have a dark background. I'm guessing this is true, just not appealing to the eye?

I'd love to read anything you suggest me. I've almost read my Begining programming book (400 pages) cover to cover 4 times. I go all out when I'm interested in something. B)

So say I wanted to use those colors again, what background should I use to make it more appealing to the eye?

where's the ####ing pictures?

Few pages back...

Hi :)

423 pages of 100% suck.

According to your logic you can't count the pages that have pictures so you are gonna have to take that number down a bit. :P

Deleted User 6

No retard. If there aren't pics on every page, the whole thread sucks. What do they teach kids in schools these days?

Hey FLCandy, remember that time I sabotaged your potm win? Good times, good times.

Where's Joe btw? Joe, get your ass in here.

No retard. If there aren't pics on every page, the whole thread sucks. What do they teach kids in schools these days?

Hey FLCandy, remember that time I sabotaged your potm win? Good times, good times.

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

Dude, she gonna be pissed, she got a temper ya know.

Yeah you and your friend.

No need to call people retards or be rude. Everyone has a good time in here and it's as simple as a click of a button and I no longer have to read your posts. ;)

Oh and I know you did that on request. But she couldn't get away with it either. :P

Joel for you.

561960_10151431147435268_599590267_23063396_1132311382_n.jpg

Deleted User 6

Did what on request? Email CM and tell him that Kat PMd me so disqualify her? I assure you that she didn't request that. I took you both down. Like a boss.

Archived