Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cape Horn

JoelRHale

will cardinals eat the eggs? that would be cool to watch

I'm pretty sure any fish will eat the little ones. I'll be watching your cardinals if you get a pair because once I have time I'd really like to have breeding fish in my tank. I've already had clowns breed in my old tank so I want to try cardinals, neon gobies, or both. I don't have a huge interest in raising the fry, I'd just like the peace of mind knowing that my inhabitants are getting it on the reg. I raised cichlid fry and it's a pain.

Have you decided which cardinals you are going to get?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
colormyheart

Hey Joel, I've been mixing the sand bed like you told me to, but not all the algae and detritus comes out of the sand. Will it always be like this? Every time I mix, it all falls back onto the sandbed before it can be sucked in by the filter. Any suggestions? Thanks so much. :)

Hey Joel, I've been mixing the sand bed like you told me to, but not all the algae and detritus comes out of the sand. Will it always be like this? Every time I mix, it all falls back onto the sandbed before it can be sucked in by the filter. Any suggestions? Thanks so much. :)

It will eventually go away. Just stay on top of your maintenance. Odds are it's not the same algae, but new growth. I had that problem in my 20. In the 40 I hardly touch the sand and it stays pure white. What kind of cuc do you have?

colormyheart

So time will fix it? And staying on top of water changes? I watch it fall down the water column, it looks like diatoms caked together in little clumps. Really gross. Right now, I have about 20-30 nassarius snails and like 5 small turbos. I'm ordering from reefcleaners soon. Oh, and thanks for helping me, you're truly the best. :) If I ever get anything cool, you'll be the first to get a frag!

I'm pretty sure any fish will eat the little ones. I'll be watching your cardinals if you get a pair because once I have time I'd really like to have breeding fish in my tank. I've already had clowns breed in my old tank so I want to try cardinals, neon gobies, or both. I don't have a huge interest in raising the fry, I'd just like the peace of mind knowing that my inhabitants are getting it on the reg. I raised cichlid fry and it's a pain.

Have you decided which cardinals you are going to get?

i have 2 pajama cardinals now. they seem to like each other alot. lol i wonder if thats good :P

Lovin the new sig! Except it plays with my mind having the water moving but the damsel frozen in the same position :P

Hey color - try basting your sand daily it takes time. Also use a siphon and stick your siphon down into the sand and as soon as it gets close to the neck pinch off the tube and the sand will fall and detritus will stay suspended longer - release the pinch before the detritus falls out. You would probably #### yourself if you saw how much detritus I remove weekly from how much I feed - but if you keep up on it you sand bed will stay clean :)

So time will fix it? And staying on top of water changes? I watch it fall down the water column, it looks like diatoms caked together in little clumps. Really gross. Right now, I have about 20-30 nassarius snails and like 5 small turbos. I'm ordering from reefcleaners soon. Oh, and thanks for helping me, you're truly the best. :) If I ever get anything cool, you'll be the first to get a frag!

I'm not sure, you'll just have to play with your maintenance. I always had to stir like Brad with my 20 but now with the 40 I don't. And woo on the frag. :) also... This made me lol so hard just because you said it:

Let me clear something up for you, wise ass. Don't speak to me, don't direct comments at me, don't talk about me. Is that simple enough for you to understand? Or do I need to talk to you like you're in kindergarten?

i have 2 pajama cardinals now. they seem to like each other alot. lol i wonder if thats good :P

It's the first step! :)

Lovin the new sig! Except it plays with my mind having the water moving but the damsel frozen in the same position :P

Thank you. :) that's why I like doing it, when you see it, it looks off and it captivates your eye.

Joel, add a ghost/watermark "Cape Horn" to the sig.

I tried last night with a new font I've been playing with, Agency FB, but I was having trouble keeping it elegant/legible. I have the Ps file so I can play with it some more today.

Hey color - try basting your sand daily it takes time. Also use a siphon and stick your siphon down into the sand and as soon as it gets close to the neck pinch off the tube and the sand will fall and detritus will stay suspended longer - release the pinch before the detritus falls out. You would probably #### yourself if you saw how much detritus I remove weekly from how much I feed - but if you keep up on it you sand bed will stay clean :)

My main concern with Blue is that she's not feeding as heavy as you so she shouldn't have the same. You have a reason to need to siphon but Blue shouldn't have this problem. Blue, do you have a powerhead to increase the flow? That might help.

The reason I mentioned siphoning is because the white flaked detritus settles into the sand - if I'm not mistaken she doesn't have vortechs with nutrient transport so I just mentioned it as an option. However you are right she doesn't feed as much and should not need[/] to siphon, basting or stirring should suffice. However as you said, increased flow could help. As well as a small amount of phosphate binder. Just don't use GFO. Lol I hate gfo now that my clam is gone

The reason I mentioned siphoning is because the white flaked detritus settles into the sand - if I'm not mistaken she doesn't have vortechs with nutrient transport so I just mentioned it as an option. However you are right she doesn't feed as much and should not need[/] to siphon, basting or stirring should suffice. However as you said, increased flow could help. As well as a small amount of phosphate binder. Just don't use GFO. Lol I hate gfo now that my clam is gone

That sucks that your clam is gone. :(

Meh - Ish happens, just keep in mind if you ever get a clam don't run GFO and don't do a water change as it will introduce more Iron...what the protozoa is dependent on from what I've heard.

Meh - Ish happens, just keep in mind if you ever get a clam don't run GFO and don't do a water change as it will introduce more Iron...what the protozoa is dependent on from what I've heard.

I don't think I'll get one. And if I do, I have the luxury of preferring the look of the $40-50 derasa clams. I said it earlier but I know bristle worms irritate clams and I have a huge population of them, easily over 100. They are starting to dwindle though as my larger cleaner shrimp likes to eat them. I've caught him doing it several times now.

colormyheart
I'm not sure, you'll just have to play with your maintenance. I always had to stir like Brad with my 20 but now with the 40 I don't. And woo on the frag. :) also... This made me lol so hard just because you said it:

My main concern with Blue is that she's not feeding as heavy as you so she shouldn't have the same. You have a reason to need to siphon but Blue shouldn't have this problem. Blue, do you have a powerhead to increase the flow? That might help.

Okay, I mixed the sandbed yesterday and so far nothing's come back. But now my clam is royally pissed off. :( And didn't you say you wanted a superman shroom? :flower: Haha, that's the meanest I've ever been to someone on NR! But he said a crude remark, and I didn't get a good vibe from him in the first place, soo.

I'm not feeding heavy any longer, but when I was in Italy my dad fed everything like crazy. (And by everything, I mean the peppermint shrimp and the coral frags.) So this is kinda the aftermath of it all. I think a lot of the algae is due to lack of flow, currently one powerhead is running and my koralia is broken. :( I have a lot of dead spots, like behind the rock work and underneath in the little caves. You and deckoz are so helpful, thank you so much!

Yeah, I'm excited about it, I'll try to get some video!

I don't know, I was under the impression that one one at a time but both of mine are definitely pregnant. They are freaks.

Haha yeah, but it's fixed now so it's good.

----------

New sig, check it.

Posted for Siwelk:

5d4cf.gif

Thanks man.

Looks good.

B)

Okay, I mixed the sandbed yesterday and so far nothing's come back. But now my clam is royally pissed off. :( And didn't you say you wanted a superman shroom? :flower: Haha, that's the meanest I've ever been to someone on NR! But he said a crude remark, and I didn't get a good vibe from him in the first place, soo.

I'm not feeding heavy any longer, but when I was in Italy my dad fed everything like crazy. (And by everything, I mean the peppermint shrimp and the coral frags.) So this is kinda the aftermath of it all. I think a lot of the algae is due to lack of flow, currently one powerhead is running and my koralia is broken. :( I have a lot of dead spots, like behind the rock work and underneath in the little caves. You and deckoz are so helpful, thank you so much!

Okay good, I'm glad you're seeing results! Once you get back into the swing of water changes and such you'll be back on track. Get another koralia, maybe even something as big as a 750. I have a 750 and a 425 and in retrospect I should have gotten two 750's.

And it's okay, I just thought it was hilarious that that came from you!

Thanks man.

Looks good.

B)

B) I'm seeing crazy growth, like 1-2mm/day out of my rainbow and superman montipora.

Water change done, ato filled, aiptasia slain (I'm getting damn tired of aiptasia), some things moved around, some equipment cleaned. Everything is looking great. I'm really happy with my tank right now.

I just read your rules. No more shenanigans :lockdown:

I finally just watched your last video too. Looking good. I can tell stuff has grown.

He's a Debelius' Reef Lobster... He's 95% nocturnal and only comes out during the day for feeding but I can easily see into his den. He's easily one of the best additions in the tank.

This calls for a video during feeding time!

Mine are apparently freaks then too because mine keep having babies and then both getting pregnant again. Crazy freaky shrimp! :lol:

Mine do the same thing. Apparently it's not uncommon :lol: What are the odds of all three of us having freaky shrimp?????

Are shrimp transgender or something? How can they both get prego, because normal animal anatomy does not allow that.

I just read your rules. No more shenanigans :lockdown:

I finally just watched your last video too. Looking good. I can tell stuff has grown.

This calls for a video during feeding time!

Thanks! I'll try to get a video but he's so skiddish. The one thing I don't like about him.

Mine do the same thing. Apparently it's not uncommon :lol: What are the odds of all three of us having freaky shrimp?????

They are just a subspecies hedona :lol:

Are shrimp transgender or something? How can they both get prego, because normal animal anatomy does not allow that.

They are hermaphrodites.

They are hermaphrodites.

Off to google I go, thats a big word!

eww, why does wikipedia have to have disturbing pictures?

/offtopic

Okay I give up, what did you draw?

Pm me the screen cap of your phone and I'll tell you. I've not played in a while so I forget.

Archived