Cultivated Reef

a Wisconsin Reef... my experiences in aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

awesome idea on the netting. i gotta use that on my grow outs.

a question about all your breeding tanks. i was wondering why you went with glass instead of acrylic. i know my 2 tanks that hold 4 pairs each i had them made from acrylic. just curious.

plus your system is so neat looking!! i got wires and stuff all over mine. hehe

FishEyeAquaculture
Lmk what you think of my solution :)

I think it is better.

This is how we have our system drains set up, notice there is no weight on the back of the tanks.

100_2171.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Alpha Aquaculture
Thank you very much. The pics help also. Do you think that screen is larger then needle point? I was using that but it doesnt let enough water through.

No problem! I have never done needle point lol but I feel like they are about the same size. The water will rise until enough goes through the small holes. Its not a matter of letting flow into the overflows for me. My motivations for cutting the groves were strictly for allowing larger organic particles into the overflow. Try what I did and use these mesh standpipe tubes from industrialnetting.com :)

Alpha Aquaculture
Great thread, just read the whole thing. Keep it up man!

Thank you so much! Thats an honor to me that you read it all. I wish I would have started it last year when I was still in my apartment. Fo sho I will keep updating everyone and keep it moving forward. :)

Alpha Aquaculture
awesome idea on the netting. i gotta use that on my grow outs.

a question about all your breeding tanks. i was wondering why you went with glass instead of acrylic. i know my 2 tanks that hold 4 pairs each i had them made from acrylic. just curious.

plus your system is so neat looking!! i got wires and stuff all over mine. hehe

I like glass better than acrylic. I don't like to support the oil companies that produce acrylic. I also don't like having so much plastic in my tank. I know there is a lot of info that is not generally known about plastics and their effects on the health of living things. The oil companies and a large portion of corporate America that profit from oil based products do not want this plastic era to come to an end. The EPA and the federal government have guidelines for the exhausts that come out of oil refineries that produce oil based products like acrylic. I believe the standards for these guidelines are made by scientists that are being paid by oil companies. Statistically you are more likely to develop certain breathing problems if you live near the exhausts of these refineries. I believe it has become the American way to produce, use, and profit from products without thinking about the effects of those products. With oil based products like acrylic, the negative effects might not be in front of you always but they are there. Did you like to hear about the oil spill in the gulf? If you don't like the negative impacts of using oil based products on our people and our environment you should think about the impact your spending is making.

I hope I did not come across negative towards you. I just do not like the way corporate America puts profits first and our health second. The government is doing very little to help because no politician wants to disrespect any company that is relying on oil or plastic profits. In this day and age, politicians can get campaign donations from anyone. So when big oil and plastic come by with the big check that cannot be outbid, that politician is essentially bought. In my opinion it comes down to oil profits and political power, not the health of the people.

I like glass better than acrylic. I don't like to support the oil companies that produce acrylic. I also don't like having so much plastic in my tank. I know there is a lot of info that is not generally known about plastics and their effects on the health of living things. The oil companies and a large portion of corporate America that profit from oil based products do not want this plastic era to come to an end. The EPA and the federal government have guidelines for the exhausts that come out of oil refineries that produce oil based products like acrylic. I believe the standards for these guidelines are made by scientists that are being paid by oil companies. Statistically you are more likely to develop certain breathing problems if you live near the exhausts of these refineries. I believe it has become the American way to produce, use, and profit from products without thinking about the effects of those products. With oil based products like acrylic, the negative effects might not be in front of you always but they are there. Did you like to hear about the oil spill in the gulf? If you don't like the negative impacts of using oil based products on our people and our environment you should think about the impact your spending is making.

I hope I did not come across negative towards you. I just do not like the way corporate America puts profits first and our health second. The government is doing very little to help because no politician wants to disrespect any company that is relying on oil or plastic profits. In this day and age, politicians can get campaign donations from anyone. So when big oil and plastic come by with the big check that cannot be outbid, that politician is essentially bought. In my opinion it comes down to oil profits and political power, not the health of the people.

wow, good speech, but i still love my acrylic tanks and my big acrylic sumps,,,lol something to think about though really.. i didn't even know acrylic had anything to do with oil!!!

Alpha Aquaculture
I am with you all the way in your thinking and efforts!

BTW, I live in Madison and would love to see your setup!

Awesome! I appreciate the support :) Hit me up anytime and we can plan a time to kick it at the warehouse.

Alpha Aquaculture

wow, good speech, but i still love my acrylic tanks and my big acrylic sumps,,,lol something to think about though really.. i didn't even know acrylic had anything to do with oil!!!

Most people have no idea that plastic products are made from oil. If you think about it you will realize how much power and money big oil has. Plastics have been pushed into every aspect of our lives. I used to think great things about acrylic and growing corals on acrylic. While there are benefits for the growout of the corals imo, I now try and support mined rock and USA made frag disks. I still have acrylic at the shop but I am trying to change. I have to order a bunch more sumps and I think I'm gonna get them in glass instead of acrylic. I also need to get a bunch more huge skimmers but I will probably have to buy those in acrylic. I can't wait til there are materials for some of these applications that don't use oil.

Celebration Everyone!!!!!!!!

I got EGGS last night! I got EGGS last night! I got EGGS last night!!!!!!!!!

We have been feeding our clowns all day everyday and finally its happening!!!!

Videos and pictures coming soon!!!!

Congrats, Kris! Please share the pictures!!

I also support your environmental ideas (I used to teach Environmental Science as well as Marine Science). One of the small things that everyone can do is to quit buying water in plastic bottles. We're all about convenience these days instead of the environment and granted, it's so much easier to grab a plastic bottle of water instead of using a reusable water bottle. There's a controversy going on right now about the quality of the water in those bottles. Some of it isn't any better than tap water. Some of the companies post where their water comes from and how it's processed, but most don't. But the bottom line is, besides being an oil refinery product, not all of the bottles are recycled and many end up in the landfills and the marine environment. :rant:

Most people have no idea that plastic products are made from oil. If you think about it you will realize how much power and money big oil has. Plastics have been pushed into every aspect of our lives. I used to think great things about acrylic and growing corals on acrylic. While there are benefits for the growout of the corals imo, I now try and support mined rock and USA made frag disks. I still have acrylic at the shop but I am trying to change. I have to order a bunch more sumps and I think I'm gonna get them in glass instead of acrylic. I also need to get a bunch more huge skimmers but I will probably have to buy those in acrylic. I can't wait til there are materials for some of these applications that don't use oil.

Celebration Everyone!!!!!!!!

I got EGGS last night! I got EGGS last night! I got EGGS last night!!!!!!!!!

We have been feeding our clowns all day everyday and finally its happening!!!!

Videos and pictures coming soon!!!!

awsome kris, like i said you can call me anytime if you have any questions or need advice on breeding those clowns!!! fun fun fun!!

Alpha Aquaculture
Now you are telling my secret recipe.

Just keep on feeding and they will take care of the rest

Lol you don't use plastic either?? Lol. I've got a few other big clowns I'm hoping will pop out some eggs soon too.

Congrats, Kris! Please share the pictures!!

I also support your environmental ideas (I used to teach Environmental Science as well as Marine Science). One of the small things that everyone can do is to quit buying water in plastic bottles. We're all about convenience these days instead of the environment and granted, it's so much easier to grab a plastic bottle of water instead of using a reusable water bottle. There's a controversy going on right now about the quality of the water in those bottles. Some of it isn't any better than tap water. Some of the companies post where their water comes from and how it's processed, but most don't. But the bottom line is, besides being an oil refinery product, not all of the bottles are recycled and many end up in the landfills and the marine environment. :rant:

I love the vibe Eileen! I stopped buying any liquid for drinking thats in a plastic container. I like to drink juice and I get the organic fresh pressed stuff thats in glass bottles (comes from FL lucky! lol) There have been many tests showing leaching from plastic bottles. Its not controversy anymore. Its the truth. This leaching is way worse if the plastic is heated. Recycling label 1 products cannot be heated above 140F or they will begin leaching very bad. This is a big deal considering people leave these in cars that get heated above this temp. The studies I saw tested after leaving a bottle in the car for a week. After a week of getting heated up it had a cocktail of plastic byproducts. Research on possible health problems is not being done by our government, the FDA. There is one woman who regulates all of bottled water as well as many other industries. The FDA's policy on plastic bottled water is that its up to the company that sells it to provide scientific studies on its safety. Because bottled water and water privatization is one of the fastest growing and most profitable industries in the US and World, large unmatched campaign contributions mean that these health issues are not being discussed. Don't get me started on the control of the media by the wealthy and powerful and about how that furthers this problem. Its no secret to me why these issues are not being given serious and lengthy discussion on the news.

The flip side of the bottled water debate is the water itself. Many of the largest companies are just selling filtered tap water from city water sources. Water should belong to the people and shouldn't be allowed to be owned. Other companies like Poland Spring (part of Nestle one of the biggest bottled water companies) are taking it from small towns and leaving natural springs almost dry. These companies have found loopholes so they don't have to give any of their profits to the local towns whose natural springs' water they are selling. At what point is there no water left for the local people and they must buy it from the company. As the rich get richer and the quality of public water sources decrease, access to clean water will not be a freedom for every American, just those who can afford clean water. City water is recommended over bottled water and is tested by the FDA. Just last week two water inspectors came into my warehouse and I spoke with them about the water they test. They assured me by a simple statement, "We test according to FDA standards". When I told him that that was what scared me he nodded that he understood. In city water, the regulations for what is tested for and what is not determines whats in your water. I believe the current amount of tests is insufficient and the acceptable levels for many chemicals is too high. If your drinking well water anywhere near a farm thats not organic be careful. Fertility decreases when exposed to well water near agricultural areas. If you think I'm making this stuff up just look at Atrazine. A herbicide banned in the European Union but produced there. Because Europe banned it they ship it to the US and spray it here. Search Google for Atrazine and check the Wiki link (or any of the others).

Wikipedia, "Its use is controversial due to widespread contamination in drinking water and its associations with birth defects and menstrual problems when consumed by humans at concentrations below government standards"

I just found out from those water inspectors that Atrazine is banned in the county I'm in and the county next to me but what about the other counties? The federal government and the FDA are clearly not to be trusted. Its only getting worse with the new campaign finance laws. Now the government is working for these big profit corporations directly.

awsome kris, like i said you can call me anytime if you have any questions or need advice on breeding those clowns!!! fun fun fun!!

:) Thanks! Always appreciate someone who is willing to teach. We need to catchup sometime soon!

Alpha Aquaculture

This was the first time I have ever seen clownfish lay eggs in person. You can just barely see the eggs in the pics. Check out the videos in the links also. This was the most exciting moment I have had here at my warehouse. I'm so happy I caught it on film for everyone to see. Enjoy!

Videos

http://alphacorals.wistia.com/m/4H1ycL

http://alphacorals.wistia.com/m/uH1ycM

Got a few good pics considering I didn't want to clean the glass and distract them :)

8-27-2011-003.jpg

8-27-2011-004.jpg

8-27-2011-005.jpg

8-27-2011-006.jpg

8-27-2011-007.jpg

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated :)

Just read through the whole therad. Verry intresting read and lots of knowledge taken in so far. Ive always wanted to try my own small scale coral growing operation but ive got a ways to go before im ready for that. Anyways so far im verry impressed, def gunna subscribe to follow your progress. Also im from chicago and travel through madisson what seems like every other week for work. Would love to check out your warehouse sometime, would help break up a long boreing drive for me :D.

Alpha Aquaculture
Just read through the whole therad. Verry intresting read and lots of knowledge taken in so far. Ive always wanted to try my own small scale coral growing operation but ive got a ways to go before im ready for that. Anyways so far im verry impressed, def gunna subscribe to follow your progress. Also im from chicago and travel through madisson what seems like every other week for work. Would love to check out your warehouse sometime, would help break up a long boreing drive for me :D.

Glad you liked the thread! Looking forward to having you along on my journey. Lately a lot has been going on but I think we are just touching the tip of the iceberg. I can try and help you with your coral growing operation when we meet. You are welcome to stop by anyday your driving through. So much to see its way easier to just stop by and see for yourself. Hit me up when your ready! Thank you for the kind words :)

This was the first time I have ever seen clownfish lay eggs in person. You can just barely see the eggs in the pics. Check out the videos in the links also. This was the most exciting moment I have had here at my warehouse. I'm so happy I caught it on film for everyone to see. Enjoy!

Videos

http://alphacorals.wistia.com/m/4H1ycL

http://alphacorals.wistia.com/m/uH1ycM

Got a few good pics considering I didn't want to clean the glass and distract them :)

8-27-2011-003.jpg

8-27-2011-004.jpg

8-27-2011-005.jpg

8-27-2011-006.jpg

8-27-2011-007.jpg

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated :)

very nice kris, i would wait at least till 3rd hatch, power feed those suckers as well and you should have a healthy nest by third nests, you can always try first nest but just to be sure wait a couple, it's very exciting raising your own fry, problem is it's very hard to get rid of them when they are ready to sell, ialready have to send some of my fry out and i really just want to keep them all.... good luck anyquestions you have my cell....ttyl
very nice kris, i would wait at least till 3rd hatch, power feed those suckers as well and you should have a healthy nest by third nests, you can always try first nest but just to be sure wait a couple, it's very exciting raising your own fry, problem is it's very hard to get rid of them when they are ready to sell, ialready have to send some of my fry out and i really just want to keep them all.... good luck anyquestions you have my cell....ttyl

Oceancube do you mean it's hard to find buyers? Or it's hard to bring yourself to sell them?

Oceancube do you mean it's hard to find buyers? Or it's hard to bring yourself to sell them?

buyers are no problem, i meant it's hard to let them go cause it takes 4-5 months top to raise them, watch them grow,just to sell them, within those 4-5 months you get close to them and you just want to keep them all... at least im that way, especially when someone picks out a nice pattern one........ sorry for the understatement or the misunderstanding!!

Alpha Aquaculture
buyers are no problem, i meant it's hard to let them go cause it takes 4-5 months top to raise them, watch them grow,just to sell them, within those 4-5 months you get close to them and you just want to keep them all... at least im that way, especially when someone picks out a nice pattern one........ sorry for the understatement or the misunderstanding!!

I know what you mean its very difficult to let go of the best ones. Its just that there are so many best ones lol. Each one is special in its own way.

I know what you mean its very difficult to let go of the best ones. Its just that there are so many best ones lol. Each one is special in its own way.

very true.... now if you keep all the best ones well there's no money to be made, then you cant pay for salt and other things that factor in with breeding!!!

Alpha Aquaculture
very true.... now if you keep all the best ones well there's no money to be made, then you cant pay for salt and other things that factor in with breeding!!!

Alright you've convinced me. Just sold this one today. I'm learning how to let go!

8-16-11-rrcg-Extreme-2rightHD.jpg

:) Such a beautiful clown! Thanks for hooking it up Rich!

Archived