Top Shelf Aquatics

a Wisconsin Reef... my experiences in aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alpha Aquaculture
They still have booths available but it is a lot of planning. Might be something to look into . Or just show up for fun. If you want to put business cards at my booth I would be more than happy to have them.

http://www.macna2011.com/ExhibitorsSponsor...eFloorPlan.aspx

Thanks for the info! and thank you so much for your gracious gesture about allowing my business cards at your booth. If you are ever looking for some clowns hit me up and I will make sure you get what you want. Now all I need is to get some business cards made lol. I'm gonna look into that link now.

Alpha Aquaculture
Did some anemone propagation today. My friend Dan cut and I took the pics :)

001_edited-1-2.jpg

Gotta get a good cut with a sharp blade.

002_edited-1-1.jpg

003_edited-1-1.jpg

004_edited-1-1.jpg

005_edited-1-1.jpg

006_edited-1.jpg

007_edited-1.jpg

Iodine

008_edited-1-1.jpg

Hours later they are already moving around!!!

010_edited-1-1.jpg

Enjoy!!!

Just took this update photo today. As of last night both anemones were moving around on the glass. Less than a day and a half after being cut :)

7-29-2011-018_edited-1.jpg

FishEyeAquaculture

MACNA is a great way to get your name out. You should do it!!! I had so much fun there last year and met some great people.

Alpha Aquaculture

I'm definitely gonna drive there its not that far. I still haven't decided on getting a booth or not. I think it would be pretty cool.

Alpha Aquaculture
Today is the day - lets get this stuff moved!

Thank you so much again for your help! I owe you big time! Check out these pics of the plumbing so far.

First came the tanks

6-11-2011-026_edited-1.jpg

Then came the stands

7-22-2011-001_edited-1.jpg

Then the crew of people to move them all :) Thanks everyone!!! These tanks were beasts!

8-5-2011-018_edited-1.jpg

8-5-2011-017_edited-1.jpg

8-5-2011-020_edited-1.jpg

Looks like a lil gap between the metal stand and glass tank. I want the tank to rest right on the stand so we can look through the bottom so I think Im gonna use some plastic shims I got. Hopefully it will work and the tank will not crack!!! I though about many options and at last moment decided to put them right on the metal. They are only 10" deep but 8 feet long and 2 feet wide

8-5-2011-016_edited-1.jpg

Let me know what you think :)

oh wow I'm surprised your tanks came out that nicely (aside from the little gap..not sure if that's the tank or the stand though). no offense to them but glasscages doesn't normally have the greatest reputation for quality

Alpha Aquaculture
oh wow I'm surprised your tanks came out that nicely (aside from the little gap..not sure if that's the tank or the stand though). no offense to them but glasscages doesn't normally have the greatest reputation for quality

True about the stand. As far as glasscages I have learned a lot from working with them on a bunch of projects. Even if you get an awesome set of tanks you might get a slightly different set of tanks next time if you ordered the same thing. I know they have different builders there and I would imagine they have different amounts of experience. I would expect this from a manufacturer their size. I have only good things to say about them. The trick is to know exactly what you want and to be able to describe that properly to them. I have gotten much better with my drawings but I plan on being even more specific next time. I'm gonna make sure there are small glass strips on the inside to protect the inside bottom seals. I noticed a set of tanks I got recently didn't have this feature because I wasn't descriptive enough.

FishEyeAquaculture
Check out the first fish system

8-5-2011-028_edited-1.jpg

:o Be careful!!!!! That's a lot of weight hanging off of those tanks.

dude i bet this will be fun filling those tanks up with broodstock pairs....

Alpha Aquaculture

Your totally right! When I saw your message last night instead of replying I went and fixed the problem with zip ties !lol! Really they are doing a geat job and I took some pics half way through, still gotta upload them and I'm not at the warehouse now but I will be updating here soon. Good looking out btw I appreciate the heads up. So many lil things that need to be done, I guess that was a big thing though if it broke I would lose a lot of fish! At least now its not all coming down, a tank could always crack...

dude i bet this will be fun filling those tanks up with broodstock pairs....

Hahahaha they are already full! I'm hustlin to get all the others set up. This setup in particular will make my life soooo easy lol. I'm thinking about having something like 100 pairs lol. I know its too many but I can always sell some when they start breeding and I need more space.

7-22-2011-003_edited-1.jpg

Your totally right! When I saw your message last night instead of replying I went and fixed the problem with zip ties !lol! Really they are doing a geat job and I took some pics half way through, still gotta upload them and I'm not at the warehouse now but I will be updating here soon. Good looking out btw I appreciate the heads up. So many lil things that need to be done, I guess that was a big thing though if it broke I would lose a lot of fish! At least now its not all coming down, a tank could always crack...

Hahahaha they are already full! I'm hustlin to get all the others set up. This setup in particular will make my life soooo easy lol. I'm thinking about having something like 100 pairs lol. I know its too many but I can always sell some when they start breeding and I need more space.

7-22-2011-003_edited-1.jpg

wow amazing, good luck with all those pairs. props to you

Alpha Aquaculture

Lmk what you think of my solution :)

Here are the pics before and after

8-5-2011-028_edited-1.jpg

8-9-2011-001_edited-1.jpg

8-9-2011-002_edited-1.jpg

Alpha Aquaculture
What kind of screens are on your drains in the tanks?

They are from industrialnetting.com They are made for aquaculture.

This is how I made them :)

7-16-2011-005_edited-1.jpg

7-16-2011-006_edited-1.jpg

7-16-2011-007_edited-1.jpg

I cut notches in them as follows:

No notches - notice the film on the surface

8-14-2011-033.jpg

Thin stripes are cut out to allow large particles to go through but not small fish

8-14-2011-034.jpg

Wider stripes are cut for larger fish so larger particles can get swept away

8-14-2011-032.jpg

Thank you very much. The pics help also. Do you think that screen is larger then needle point? I was using that but it doesnt let enough water through.

Archived