Top Shelf Aquatics

LIB-TECH's JBJ 28g LED

LIB-TECH

Congrats on the new angel! Has he been behaving so far? Can't help with the SPS ID. Maybe a closer zoomed in pic? Sorry to hear about the plate. Is it still receding? That new acan is sweet. Everything looks great so far! Keep it up

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats on the new angel! Has he been behaving so far? Can't help with the SPS ID. Maybe a closer zoomed in pic? Sorry to hear about the plate. Is it still receding? That new acan is sweet. Everything looks great so far! Keep it up

He's behaving decent so far other than slight eating of a torch coral, lol. I haven't seen any damage since the first few days. I started feeding him a bit more to try and help combat that, seems to have worked. He is by far the most fun fish to watch in the tank, always out and swimming picking at the sand/rock. Don't regret it at all!

The plate coral is doing better, I will keep target feeding him a little bit twice a week.

The Acan is one of my new favorites. I just picked up an aussie brain, along with some other poylps(radioactive dragon eyes & eagle eye).

Also a relevant avatar, haha. Can't wait till season starts again!

He's behaving decent so far other than slight eating of a torch coral, lol. I haven't seen any damage since the first few days. I started feeding him a bit more to try and help combat that, seems to have worked. He is by far the most fun fish to watch in the tank, always out and swimming picking at the sand/rock. Don't regret it at all!

The plate coral is doing better, I will keep target feeding him a little bit twice a week.

The Acan is one of my new favorites. I just picked up an aussie brain, along with some other poylps(radioactive dragon eyes & eagle eye).

Also a relevant avatar, haha. Can't wait till season starts again!

Glad to hear about the angel behaving. I've never committed to one because I worry about it goin after my coral. Keep feeding that plate.

I think this season is going to be awesome. People were snowboarding at tahoe on the 4th of july!

• 6 months later...
The remora has been good so far, it is a little noisy at times but there is a quick fix to that which solved the problem. It's been pulling a decent skimmate since the first week, no complaints so far.

Hey Lib-Tech,

How did you get your remora to be quieter?

• 1 month later...

It's been a long time since an update!

A few quick things that have been changed.

New skimmer(Reef Octopus BH1000)

TLF's reactor

Several Aquascape changes

028od.jpg

026eil.jpg

029th.jpg

I hate how bad my phone camera makes my tank look, washes everything out BAD.

Still looking for better color in my SPS. Just playing with certain lighting schedules at the moment. Considering going for a Ecotech Radion sometime in the near future. I want more control over my lighting.

Slowy going to start removing some LPS that is overgrowing the tank too!

I'm not really satisfied with the overall result at the moment, hopefully with different lighting I can gain some deeper color.

• 1 month later...

Teaser shot!

011iuw.jpg

My original LED's in the JBJ hood have given me nothing but problems from day one. When I first plugged everything in only 4/5 of white 3W LED strips worked. Then a month or so after I had my Blue dawn/dusk light quit working on me(due to non heat sinks, I believe this problem has been fixed since). Just as of a week and a half ago all of my white LED's quit on me. Quickly put and order in for the Radion(with hanging kit).

On a positive note for JBJ, they have been very helpful when things did go wrong. My stuff was shipped to me immediately after contacting them through email, was never a hassle.

My corals have been without light for 11 days, everything has made it through though, haha. Starting to acclimate them very slowly to the new light, 20% intensity on natural mode for 5hrs.

I will post up my first impressions when I get a few more minutes to type a few paragraphs up!

Teaser shot!

011iuw.jpg

My original LED's in the JBJ hood have given me nothing but problems from day one. When I first plugged everything in only 4/5 of white 3W LED strips worked. Then a month or so after I had my Blue dawn/dusk light quit working on me(due to non heat sinks, I believe this problem has been fixed since). Just as of a week and a half ago all of my white LED's quit on me. Quickly put and order in for the Radion(with hanging kit).

On a positive note for JBJ, they have been very helpful when things did go wrong. My stuff was shipped to me immediately after contacting them through email, was never a hassle.

My corals have been without light for 11 days, everything has made it through though, haha. Starting to acclimate them very slowly to the new light, 20% intensity on natural mode for 5hrs.

I will post up my first impressions when I get a few more minutes to type a few paragraphs up!

Sick dude. The new aquascape looks awesome. Let me know how that light works for you. I'm kind fo sick of the LED's too. They seem to wash everything out. Almost like they are too intense.

sjnovakovich
Teaser shot!

011iuw.jpg

You're gonna love this light. I have one for my JBJ. It quit after 5 days, but Ecotech's customer service is second to none and they're working diligently to get my problems solved. The tank looked amazing while the light was working. I found some really good shared graphs for the light. PM me if you are interested because I don't want to post the location here. (It's a competing forum.)

Sick dude. The new aquascape looks awesome. Let me know how that light works for you. I'm kind fo sick of the LED's too. They seem to wash everything out. Almost like they are too intense.

You're gonna love this light. I have one for my JBJ. It quit after 5 days, but Ecotech's customer service is second to none and they're working diligently to get my problems solved. The tank looked amazing while the light was working. I found some really good shared graphs for the light. PM me if you are interested because I don't want to post the location here. (It's a competing forum.)

Thank dude! I was looking to upgrade to this light fairly soon, so I was lucky I had some money set away already to buy when the LED's quit on me, lol. That is the same feeling I had, always felt for the condition and effort I was putting into the tank, I was not seeing the results I wanted because of the stock LED's.

So with the day off today I had some time to play around with the light and give some first impressions.

Build quality is second to none from what I have seen, construction is flawless, sleek and modern looking. The hanging kit is also a very nice addition, extremely easy to install and looks fantastic with the light.

After hooking the light up and plugging the USB into my computer and watching the intro video that ecotech provides at the beginning, I was already confident on how to start programming/adjusting color settings.

I decided to start with the Natural mode the they provide, I figured it would be a good setting to get the corals back into a normal rhythm. I really like this mode, once everything settles in I'm sure I'll try some different color setting and what not.

Adjustability is insane with this light, you can dial in pretty much any different color and look within your tank. I was always enjoyed my tank with the stock LED's but the difference is night and day. I LOVE it now.

Honestly I could go on and on about this thing but the bottom line is this light is worth every single penny. Do not regret it one bit, would recommend it to anyone. I can't imagine anything being better!

Hey LIB-TECH,

I'm jealous of your new Radion. I switched my hood to an HQI halide because my LEDs were burning some coral and not reaching others.

I'm still trying to adjust the Remora. I'm having trouble with it over-foaming, despite being level, etc... and my LFS says it's because I'm running chemi-pure before my skimmer (in the media basket.) So, I've currently got the skimmer's pump in the skimmer chamber - second from the left- and the skimmer return on the media basket which is just floss and cheato. I've got a bag of chemipure dropped in the fat right chamber, but the set-up looks ghetto. Did you have similar problems with the Remora? Does your new skimmer fix that? Is my LFS's advice legit? What's the back of your tank look like now-a-days?

Hey LIB-TECH,

I'm jealous of your new Radion. I switched my hood to an HQI halide because my LEDs were burning some coral and not reaching others.

I'm still trying to adjust the Remora. I'm having trouble with it over-foaming, despite being level, etc... and my LFS says it's because I'm running chemi-pure before my skimmer (in the media basket.) So, I've currently got the skimmer's pump in the skimmer chamber - second from the left- and the skimmer return on the media basket which is just floss and cheato. I've got a bag of chemipure dropped in the fat right chamber, but the set-up looks ghetto. Did you have similar problems with the Remora? Does your new skimmer fix that? Is my LFS's advice legit? What's the back of your tank look like now-a-days?

I had the pump for my remora in the furthest left chamber. Maybe the water level is to high in the second chamber? Do you have an ATO system? I can't see a logical reason why the skimmer would be overreacting with chemi-pure. I was running it with my remora, never had any problems. I would try moving the pump over and lowering the water level a bit until you find something that works.

I love the Octopus BH1000. Quite over sized for my system but it does a very nice job, very consistent, easy to clean, and acts as a shelf for my TLF reactor!

Here are a few pics I snapped tonight after cleaning the skimmer.

001qz.jpg

003df.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Let's see some pics with the new light man! I'm trying to convince the boss woman.

I will try in the next couple of days! Everything is progressing nicely, starting to get a lot of nice color back in all the SPS.

Slowly increasing the light still, I'm using a custom graph from which sjnovakovich suggested. I really like it, made a few small adjustments to my preference. I love the fact that you can share lighting schedules!

Got some goodies in the mail today! The last big expense for the tank hopefully for a while. :lol:

Yv4cMl.jpg

Hopefully this can boost some color and growth with consistency, not looking forward to testing everyday for a bit.

Got some goodies in the mail today! The last big expense for the tank hopefully for a while. :lol:

Yv4cMl.jpg

Hopefully this can boost some color and growth with consistency, not looking forward to testing everyday for a bit.

gOOD tHING iS yOUR bOUGHT gOOD sTUFF!

Got all my dosing pumps and controller all set up today, let the testing begin!

Plus a few top down shots before a water change. Taken with cellphone, not a good turn out. Something is better than nothing I guess :lol:

J431Vl.jpg

Tailspot poking out for some love.

ijUfbl.jpg

KxuzRl.jpg

TjWvTl.jpg

I'm going to start feeding more to try and get a little deeper color with the SPS. Very happy with the tank otherwise. Might consider switching to 2.5g water changes instead of 5g per week.

Isteallunch$$$

Been following your thread! Everything looks awesome. Can't wait to get mine setup after I move...ugh. Glad I came across yours b/c I was curious about upgrading the lighting for my jbj28 as well. Just curious, how come you didn't wait for the AI Vega or even the AI Sol Blue??

Been following your thread! Everything looks awesome. Can't wait to get mine setup after I move...ugh. Glad I came across yours b/c I was curious about upgrading the lighting for my jbj28 as well. Just curious, how come you didn't wait for the AI Vega or even the AI Sol Blue??

Thanks for following!

I was planning to wait until all the new models came out, but unfortunately for me the stock LED's quit on me before I could do so. I had done a lot of research on the Radion and went for it. Loving it so far.

Oh and I actually have a Nikon D5100 for a while, just learning to shoot with LED's at the moment, pics coming soon!

Your tank looks great! How much do you love the Radion! I think I get some great colors out of mine, you just have to play with the settings to fit your taste.

Your tank looks great! How much do you love the Radion! I think I get some great colors out of mine, you just have to play with the settings to fit your taste.

Thanks dude! I love the the amount of fine tuning you can do. What percent power do you usually run? I'm at 65% right now, I feel like I could go higher, lol.

Still fine tuning the BRS doser's, running great so far, making my life easier.

Here are some new pics. Forgive the somewhat out of focus, poor attempts at photos, to be fair I have never use d a DLSR in manual before. Haha.

eGhsdl.jpg

7lQA7l.jpg

O9VPol.jpg

skVzGl.jpg

Sh41kl.jpg

2OYrrl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Nice Tank!!!!

What dose are you uing for your calc and alk? Still fine tuning it?

Thanks!

Still fine tuning at the moment. I'm at about 15ml of KH and 10 Ca with the BRS aditives.

Archived