Cultivated Reef

Euphyllia's BioCube 29 HQI ~ FTS PAGE 93

Euphyllia

Picked up a small rose mille and some sort of green-turquoise acro. I also got some chaeto, but I didn't want to get GFO just yet since chaeto will remove a bit of phosphates. Because the light is so blue, my camera only picks up the blue tones. The acro is more green than it looks and the mille is red.

Green-turquoise acro w/ big brown polyps

huer5z.jpg

Rose Mille

2dsg6x2.jpg

This is the only thing I don't like about the halide. It washes out some of the colors and it makes it hard for my camera to see the true colors. <_<

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not going in the tank. AEFW. Going in the RSM for a week or so and then I'll dip again. I'll do that for a few weeks until I'm sure they're clean. :(

I regret spending $25 for the two since I have to go through all this trouble with AEFW.

$18.00 later...

2n1rl3s.jpg

It's a 60w fixture with a 14w = 60w 5000k fluorescent bulb. I went with fluorescent because I didn't want it to heat up the tank too much and I could leave it on 24/7 without worrying about it becoming too hot. I got $5 worth of chaeto at the LFS because I didn't want it to pull the nitrates/nitrites out too quickly and RTN the SPS.

e8muir.jpg

SouthFlorida_Tron

That's great, and that "$5 worth of chaeto" will fill the basket quick! ESP if light on 24/7! Mine clogged in 2 weeks.

That's great, and that "$5 worth of chaeto" will fill the basket quick! ESP if light on 24/7! Mine clogged in 2 weeks.

I hope mine grows quickly, though at the same time I don't want it to suck the nitrates/nitrites/phosphates out too quickly to where the SPS would RTN. When it starts to clog, I will move some of it to my BioCube 14 and RSM where it can do it's "magic". Since I have chaeto, should I even use a filter pad?

While we're on the topic of chaeto...

I have a Surface Skimmer for my RSM 130. I have a horrible nutrient export problem and there is always algae growing inside the surface skimmer because it's so close to the light and is protected from flow. One time I removed it to clean it and when I got it out it was full of dark green chaeto. I had never added chaeto to the tank... ever. :lol:

how many clowns can you have a 30 gallon tank?

It depends on the species of clown. If we are talking about clowns similar to the size of Ocellaris or Percula, it would be easiest to keep two, but some people have kept multiple. IMO, success with keeping multiple clowns in the same tank comes with tank size and the number of clowns you have. I read a study about Perculas and there seem to be one hierarchy per host. In those hierarchies, there were anywhere from 30 to 50 clowns on average.

So I would recommend two, but more can be done.

Added some dry sand and the tank is looking good. This sand is hilarious though because it's so light and fluffy that it forms little balls of sand around air bubbles that float to the surface. :lol:

do you put alk/mag in your RO water?

I use Reef Crystals salt mix, which mixes alk to 10, calcium to 450 and mag to 1300.

WATER CHANGE PICTURES

Blue Bottlebrush Acro, or should I say, Blue Airbrush Acro? :naughtydance:

2v13w2v.jpg

Tri-Color Tort, or should I say, Tri-Color Tortoise? (...because tortoises live on land...)

ru5ic1.jpg

Silver Birdsnest, or should I say, Silver Bird? B)

18dbvp.jpg

Bright Red Cap, or should I say, Bright Red Cup? :P

21xuvr.jpg

Atlantis, sinking back into the ocean.

2djwhmb.jpg

They were only out of the water for a minute or so, as with every water change I've ever done. Just thought I would take some pics. :)

ur dum :P

also how much was your bottle brush?

can i have one?

Yesh i r vary dumful. :happy:

I got it in a 2/$10 deal with the tort... So it was $5. B)

No. :P

no i mean do you think i can keep the bottlebrush under my lights, like directly under my lights.

I think it may actually be an awi or specocia. Whatever it is, it likes pretty high lighting. The parts that aren't getting as much light are brown, which is mainly the main "stalk" of the acro. You may be able to keep it alive at the very top, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm leaning more towards Acropora awi because Acropora specocia has curved branches, and my little guy is straight.

Updated the main post with SPS names. I organized them into categories by genus which I listed in alphabetical order. I put the species in alphabetical order in their genus' category. Instead of have a genus category for just one species, I organized to loners into an unknown category. B)

Archived