Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The biggest HOB fuge EVER

kgoldy

I was very happy with this mud:

p-27295-61692-fish.jpg

Expensive, but beats that dry Miracle Mud crap (which I also have used). Be warned however- it's silt. Very, very fine. I recommend mixing it with dry sand to keep it from getting whipped up into a slurry when you turn on your pumps for the first time.

Originally, I was trying for a while to get John over at Reef Cleaners to ship me some mud from the wild, but it violates some Florida laws...

Now that I'm thinking of it... You might be able to get a certain Floridian Jedi to help with that though...

Where's the Ugly tank thread? Put a link in your sig.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kgoldy

• uglybuckling

• Dizzle21

• Dakarta

The 75g and the 20g "ugly fuge" with heater and the world's ugliest light, are all set up and have been running for 5 weeks; the 20g started with a golf-ball sized piece of chaeto from a local reefer and now has a mass of chaeto in it that completely fills the tank, and...well, there are parts of the glass that look cloudy from a few feet away because of all the pods. How often do you have to take chaeto out of yours? Or do you just let it get all thick and wiry?

I take chaeto out in grid squares from the mangrove fuge... Once every four weeks or so I'll thin it out to about half of what's in there. I let it get so thick and dense that it grows out of the water and starts collecting salt creep.

The "HOB" fuge got its aquascape tonight; mine's a display fuge, and it sits across the room on a 48 inch tall stand that weighs over 100 pounds *rolls eyes* It still "overflows" into the main tank, it just doesn't have the cool waterfall that yours does. It wound up being a 33g long rather than a 40g long.

33%20long%20004.jpg

I like it. Where's the plumbing?

Not planning on doing your DSB, but I do have mangrove and chaeto areas in addition to spaces for the display macro. The substrate for the display fuge will involve a lot of mud, due to your luck using it--I'm going to rely on heavy feedings to replenish micronutrients and trace elements, as you do, but I figure the mud can't hurt in that department either. I have to go back through and figure out which brands worked for you and which ones were full of horribleness. I do remember your garf grunge had like...what was it, a comb in it? A marble? Something nuts.

So anyway, yes, the plan is coming along! Soon I too will have a kgoldy-style "nasty" system. There was talk of having a club for these. I think Jedi is doing one too.

Also, expect an order for all manner of critters from your fuges and whatnot soon. =)

GARF grunge had a marble, a hairclip, some wire-ties... and lots of dog hair. Oh, and a crayon.

There is going to be a nasty system thread? I can contribute! My 2 gallon macro tank that sits in the cats bathroom is icky. Haven't done a water change in there for a few months. The filter is one of those little ones they use on toy aquariums. All salt creeped and nasty looking. Sign me up.

• 8 years later...