Pod Your Reef

The biggest HOB fuge EVER

kgoldy

(edit- 22Aug2012: I rarely check this thread... If you have any questions about this part of my system and would like a timely answer, please go to my 90 gallon thread or shoot me a PM. I'll be sure to post any Q&A's back on this thread upon answering. Sorry to those who've gone weeks without answers!)

Oct 2011- This is what we\'re building.

075.jpg

I\'ve been talking about making a big HOB fuge for my 90 gallon... and today I finally started it. It\'s bigger than half the nanos on this site... Haha.

Exterior dimensions are 48\" x 7.75\" x 10\"

This is going to be mangrove city. Haven\'t figured out sandbed depth... I could go DSB, since it is a remote system and can be removed in case there are problems...

Because this thing is so big, it\'s not actually true \"HOB\"... Included in this thread will be the stand I made for it.

It\'s 2am and I\'m exhausted, so excuse me if my narration sucks on the following pics. I\'ll fix when I have time.

HOBGiantdayone001.jpg

HOBGiantdayone002.jpg

HOBGiantdayone003.jpg

HOBGiantdayone004.jpg

HOBGiantdayone005.jpg

HOBGiantdayone006.jpg

HOBGiantdayone007.jpg

HOBGiantdayone008.jpg

HOBGiantdayone009.jpg

HOBGiantdayone010.jpg

HOBGiantdayone011.jpg

HOBGiantdayone012.jpg

HOBGiantdayone013.jpg

HOBGiantdayone014.jpg

HOBGiantdayone015.jpg

HOBGiantdayone016.jpg

HOBGiantdayone017.jpg

HOBGiantdayone018.jpg

HOBGiantdayone019.jpg

HOBGiantdayone020.jpg

HOBGiantdayone021.jpg

HOBGiantdayone022.jpg

HOBGiantdayone023.jpg

HOBGiantdayone024.jpg

HOBGiantdayone025.jpg

HOBGiantdayone026.jpg

HOBGiantdayone027.jpg

HOBGiantdayone028.jpg

HOBGiantdayone029.jpg

HOBGiantdayone030.jpg

HOBGiantdayone031.jpg

HOBGiantdayone032.jpg

HOBGiantdayone033.jpg

HOBGiantdayone034.jpg

HOBGiantdayone035.jpg

HOBGiantdayone036.jpg

HOBGiantdayone037.jpg

HOBGiantdayone039.jpg

HOBGiantdayone040.jpg

Someone comment on this so I can post more pics plz? :unsure:

Edited by kgoldy
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kgoldy

• uglybuckling

• Dizzle21

• Dakarta

HOBGiantdayone041.jpg

HOBGiantdayone042.jpg

HOBGiantdayone043.jpg

HOBGiantdayone044.jpg

HOBGiantdayone045.jpg

HOBGiantdayone046.jpg

HOBGiantdayone047.jpg

HOBGiantdayone048.jpg

HOBGiantdayone049.jpg

HOBGiantdayone050.jpg

HOBGiantdayone051.jpg

HOBGiantdayone052.jpg

HOBGiantdayone053.jpg

HOBGiantdayone054.jpg

HOBGiantdayone055.jpg

HOBGiantdayone056.jpg

HOBGiantdayone057.jpg

HOBGiantdayone058.jpg

HOBGiantdayone059.jpg

HOBGiantdayone060.jpg

HOBGiantdayone061.jpg

HOBGiantdayone062.jpg

HOBGiantdayone063.jpg

HOBGiantdayone064.jpg

HOBGiantdayone065.jpg

HOBGiantdayone066.jpg

HOBGiantdayone067.jpg

Edited by kgoldy

Unfortunately, I won't be able to work on this thing for another week... But here's the plan-

"Waterfall" return into the display.

Deep sandbed of about 6 inches with the finest oolite that I can find- seeded with the oolite in my display. I'm going to try to gradually get rid of the oolite in my display completely, and replace it with an inch of "reef substrate" sized grains. I'm not really happy with the fine stuff anymore in the display.

I haven't figured out if or how I'm going to light this thing... Hopefully the ambient lighting in the room will be enough for the mangroves.

phi delt reefer
Unfortunately, I won't be able to work on this thing for another week... But here's the plan-

"Waterfall" return into the display.

Deep sandbed of about 6 inches with the finest oolite that I can find- seeded with the oolite in my display. I'm going to try to gradually get rid of the oolite in my display completely, and replace it with an inch of "reef substrate" sized grains. I'm not really happy with the fine stuff anymore in the display.

I haven't figured out if or how I'm going to light this thing... Hopefully the ambient lighting in the room will be enough for the mangroves.

ambient probably wont be enough - there is a guy on our canadian forums that grows 100+ plants in a remote rdsb 100 gallon tote and he has a 400w HPS bulb over them and they grow like weeds :) Granted thats a ton of light but if you want it to be effective i would recommend getting a cheap 48" t5 worklight fixture from homedepot and put a couple GE6500k bulbs in there and run them over the mangroves. May want to rig up a misting system for i think they need to be kept moist constatnly.

waterfall = tons of salt creep

Edited by phi delt reefer

Yeah, I can live with creep. I think I might set up some sort of decorative channel lighting on the wall above this thing for the mangroves. Auto misting can't be set up as it'll be against a sheetrock wall.

nice... looks great. Are you going to be able to see into the tank when it's set up or is it going to hide in the back?

If you wont be able to see it Id go chaeto + 'groves but if it's a display kind of thing Id go grass + groves--that would look great.

seriously nice handy work!

You'll be able to see a lot of the fuge. About 4.5 inches will be above the tank, about an inch of which will be sandbed.

Lighting really is the thing I need to think about now when it comes to grass and mangroves vs just chaeto (or other macro). If I go entirely with stuff that stays below the surface of the water, I can rig up some LED lighting which will be hardly noticeable. If I go for grass and mangroves, I'll likely have to figure out a way to make some pretty intense lighting- which will make it so that a reverse cycle will be no good- since the light splash would end up illuminating the main display. This tank is in my dining room which is connected to my living room, where my home entertainment center is. Watching late night movies with a light glaring from behind you is no bueno.

johnmaloney

lol..oh wow you got bored one day huh? nice. yeah to answer your other question though you could probably put seagrass in there if you wanted. I like the chaeto idea but in your system are you really trying to max out filtration, or are you just looking for more hobby space without needing a new tank? I think the latter, and would fill it with chemical media probably and the DSB

is it safe to hang on such a big fuge?

It's a hob that is more of a "on back" fuge. Looks like/sounds like all weight will be supported by it's own stand.

lol..oh wow you got bored one day huh? nice. yeah to answer your other question though you could probably put seagrass in there if you wanted. I like the chaeto idea but in your system are you really trying to max out filtration, or are you just looking for more hobby space without needing a new tank? I think the latter, and would fill it with chemical media probably and the DSB

From my original post- "Because this thing is so big, it's not actually true "HOB"... Included in this thread will be the stand I made for it."

With the DSB alone this thing will weigh something like 140 lbs. I hope my floor doesn't give out... Haha.

My goal is maxing out filtration and pod production, while things remain pleasing to the eye. I'm trying to make the need for water changes as minimal as possible- while still stocking quite heavily.

Very nice my only question is why didn't you use a hole saw rather than the jigsaw

Two reasons- 1- I hate large diameter holesaws. I either get hurt, or mess up my piece when I use em. 2- I bent the guide bit that fits that particular piece (3 1/2 inch, I guess it was...) So I used it for tracing instead. Haha

Ordered mangroves, seagrass and macros from Reef Cleaners for delivery next week. Woohoo!

HOBGiantdaytwo001.jpg

HOBGiantdaytwo002.jpg

HOBGiantdaytwo003.jpg

HOBGiantdaytwo004.jpg

HOBGiantdaytwo005.jpg

HOBGiantdaytwo006.jpg

HOBGiantdaytwo007.jpg

HOBGiantdaytwo008.jpg

HOBGiantdaytwo009.jpg

HOBGiantdaytwo010.jpg

HOBGiantdaytwo011.jpg

HOBGiantdaytwo012.jpg

HOBGiantdaytwo013.jpg

HOBGiantdaytwo014.jpg

HOBGiantdaytwo015.jpg

At the end of this project... I'm glad I did it because it's adding a lot of volume to my system- but I wish I just designed it and sent the schematics off to a professional. Not sure what someone would charge for something like this- but the scratches and drip marks that wouldn't be here if a pro did it would probably be worth the cost. Most blemishes probably won't be noticeable when water, mud, macros and mangroves fill the thing and it goes behind my display... But I'll always know they're there... And it's going to eat away at my sanity because I have serious OCD about my workmanship.

Because I didn't trust my joints, I applied epoxy to the inside of all edges to ensure a water-tight seal. Looks gross... But the minute threat of this thing exploding on my hardwood floors would be a nightmare.

Sorry to those who are trying to follow that I didn't narrate the construction at all... Anyone who wants to build something like this, shoot me a PM and I'll fill in the blanks.

091.jpg

092.jpg

093.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

096.jpg

097.jpg

098.jpg

099.jpg

100.jpg

Did the water test before I installed it... Found one leak in the first baffle, plugged it, and am letting the epoxy cure for a while longer.

Will be getting oolitic sand, mud, mangroves, macros, and 36" Ecoexcotic white Stunner Strip in the mail this week.

Anyone got suggestions as to how deep my deep sandbed should be?

Also thinking that last chamber before the "waterfall" return would be a good place for coral rubble- and pods to grow.