Cultivated Reef

Justice's 12g of Splasssh!

Justice

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went ahead and got the MP10w and am mUUUUch happier with the flow throughout the entire tank. For now I am going to stick with my current lights as I want to spend all my money on actually stocking the tank. Now for the goodies!

Got a shipment in today! Wooot!

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

New FTS

IMG_0138.jpg

That looks great. That's a good sized hunk of Halymenia.

Thanks NinjaBum, and yes it is. That is even after having to trim it down some.

Nice. Where did you order it from?

It is from http://live-plants.com/

What a bright tank! It looks great! I can't wait to see it mature. :)

Thanks! I can't wait for it to grow in either. There are a couple more macros that I want to get along with some inverts.

Magiksurfman
What a bright tank! It looks great! I can't wait to see it mature.

+1 though .... for some strange reason i'm really diggin the sterile look, its so clean and perfect looking

question - did you scape the tank so you can view it from the back too? i might have to bug you for a Rear Tank shot ;)

sweet array of macros. I love the acetabularia sp., I hope it does well. I like how you don't have all of the common stuff.

+1 though .... for some strange reason i'm really diggin the sterile look, its so clean and perfect looking

question - did you scape the tank so you can view it from the back too? i might have to bug you for a Rear Tank shot ;)

Thank you! I did scape the tank for viewing from both sides. I will post a picture of the backside next time I upload pictures.

amazing tank! great job!

Thanks Squared!

Very bright! I love the macros, and I'm really jealous of your caulerpa! The tank is so clean

Thanks yoshii!

sweet array of macros. I love the acetabularia sp., I hope it does well. I like how you don't have all of the common stuff.

Thanks Keydiver, and thanks for the shipment! Guess I've been lucky on picking out not so common macro as I'm just getting what I think looks nice. Lol.

In other news, the tank is doing well. I have small pink/red dots all over and the rocks and even some in the sand. My first thought was coraline, but they are for sure some type of macro. No idea how it happen and I'm not sure if I'm happy about it yet or not, lol. I will let them grow some to see if I can ID them and go from there. Thanks for checking out the thread!

Oh and I'm still trying to decide on inverts for the tank. Can anyone list some things that would do well in a macro tank? Thanks in advance.

Once it's more established, a small pair of pipefish would look awesome ;)

Some colorful shrimp would look nice, maybe fire shirmp or cleaner shrimp?

Once it's more established, a small pair of pipefish would look awesome ;)

Some colorful shrimp would look nice, maybe fire shirmp or cleaner shrimp?

I thought about pipefish as well later on. B)

really noice.

next tank I get will be a 12 long or similar.

Many thanks!

what fishes are you getting? coral?

Not sure on fish. Has to be small of course and I most likely won't spend too much on whatever I decide on as the open top scares me with fish. No plans for any corals, just more macro :D .

some coral really does go well with macros. you can try to replicate nature by adding a gionopora or brain of some sort, they're usually found in close proximity to macros.

As for fish, banded pipefish would be cool, but you could also do some other cool things. I think regular firefish go well with macros, as do tassled filefish, frogfish and some anglers if you're looking for some carnivore.

Inverts really depends on other stocking as well, but you could try something out of the ordinary. Mantis shrimp always do well with macros. You could try harlequin shrimp, pistol shrimp, medusa worms, cucumbers, or even bongo shrimp. There's lots of choices

some coral really does go well with macros. you can try to replicate nature by adding a gionopora or brain of some sort, they're usually found in close proximity to macros.

As for fish, banded pipefish would be cool, but you could also do some other cool things. I think regular firefish go well with macros, as do tassled filefish, frogfish and some anglers if you're looking for some carnivore.

Inverts really depends on other stocking as well, but you could try something out of the ordinary. Mantis shrimp always do well with macros. You could try harlequin shrimp, pistol shrimp, medusa worms, cucumbers, or even bongo shrimp. There's lots of choices

Thanks Keydiver, I will keep those in mind when I decide what to put it.

Here are some pictures of the macro taking over my rocks that I was talking about.

The rocks

IMG_0145.jpg

The macro I think made this all happen, lol.

IMG_0146.jpg

Still not sure if I want this macro ALL over my rocks or not. I guess worse things could happen, but I'm still not sure if I'm happy about it or not, lol.

oh wow, is it like that on ALL the rocks? If it was on one or two rocks grown out I think it would look cool, but too much if it's all over your tank

You could take out some rocks that don't have anything else growing on them and like freeze em or dry them out or something

oh wow, is it like that on ALL the rocks? If it was on one or two rocks grown out I think it would look cool, but too much if it's all over your tank

You could take out some rocks that don't have anything else growing on them and like freeze em or dry them out or something

Yea Yoshii it was pretty much all over the rocks, sand, and even attached to other macros =(. The tank is pretty much getting a reboot. I have taken out all of the rock and will let it dry out and then I will scrub it really well. I'm ordering new larger grain sand, as my Vortech is moving around too much sand even on low settings. I also need to remove the top layer of my current sand bed anyways as the macro is growing on it, so it's a good time to add some new sand.

Does anyone know much about lighting spectrum combos for macro? I'm currently running a Giesemann Midday and Aquaflora T5 combo. My red macros are loosing their deep red colors and slowing becoming more pink. I'm thinking I need to change out one of the bulbs for something less bright, but I'm not sure.

That stinks :( Such a nice macro too

I run a 65w 50/50 PC light over my 10g, my reds are pretty dark, I actually wish they were lighter like yours!

Here's a study done with Dragon's Breath, you can see different grow rates with different color lights, I didn't read the whole thing, but maybe it has some info on how lighting affects color? If not you could PM John at reefcleaners

http://www.mda.cinvestav.mx/personaldelmar...20al%202008.pdf

Reds all tend to fade and go from red to pink, to a pinkish clear the higher light they are under. I had to shade mine under other macros to shield them. Maybe try raising your fixture or dropping to just the midday.

justice you don't add CO2 to this tank like seabass, do you?

No, no CO2.

Oh BTW, where did you get that macro that grew all over everything?

Laurencia from Reefcleaners. I love the color and the look of it, but I will be taking it out as I don't want this to happen again. It put a major stall on my tank.

I need some lighting advise/suggestions. I have plans to add mangroves to the tank. I will suspend them from an acrylic bar that will go across the top of the tank. My problem is that my current T5 fixture hangs over the tank. I'm looking for different lighting options that would work for what I'm trying to do. I guess my only choices are the hang something from the ceiling (which would be hard given the tank location) or some type of clamp on fixture. Any input would be great.

Archived