Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pearls of the Antilles...

lljdma06

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow great thread! Can't wait to see the Chalk Bass!!

Thank you, I try.

I had a NitrIte spike but it's going down. Thank goodness. Diatoms are getting messy. LOL... Some pictures for you. These aren't great, I've been enjoying some beer today. A lot of beer LOLOL

fts

96842d7b.jpg

616ecfcf.jpg

d06044a5.jpg

d50f5337.jpg

See, diatoms are definitely there. Have not seen Mr. Spinypants at all. :( I have dubbed the urchin Mr. Spinypants.

llj

Nitrites are zero, did a water change, about 35-40%, and I put in my CUC. I've got the following...

7 tiny blue-legged hermits

3 ceriths (2 teeny ones and one medium one)

3 Nassarius snails (2 big ones and one small one)

I'll add more I think. Especially Nassarius, these guys are great.

Fts

60870da9.jpg

Acclimating...

62203f02.jpg

LR, but with a teeny, tiny Acetabularia macro on it.

07038d52.jpg

You can see nassarius if you know what to look for.

2290788f.jpg

Blue leg hermit shed...

e5b819df.jpg

Cerith snail, the largest, he goes everywhere.

975faafc.jpg

Mr. Spinypants, still hanging in there. He seems to have moved to this rock which is great because I can feed him easily. The problem is that pulling him out of the crevice will cause him undo stress. If he ventures out of the rock, I'll catch him and put him in a critter keeper I got to isolate him, but at least I can feed him crushed pellets regularly because I know where he is. He gets fed 2x a day, but I can certainly increase the amount.

8f9081de.jpg

I have no idea what this is a picture... Can't see on the thumnail in photobucket.

aa40e6e8.jpg

More LR

76c2b860.jpg

Can you spot the Nassarius?

69ee2b1f.jpg

Here he is! With a feather-duster friend... These nassarius are great, they go everywhere. I want more. Ideal for the DBS.

46b26ed4.jpg

Hermit crab and cerith... In the crevice

b8e77010.jpg

fts with actinics

952335b5.jpg

Tank was much cleaner this morning. CUC is doing a good job. I may expand it a bit. Plants and macros will be ordered soon, when I get paid. :D

Thanks for looking. :)

Stats are good, but still did a water change. Went to the LFS to get additions to my CUC, but they didn't have good specimens of the species that I'm using. But... I did see something that I wanted and I got it.

First mushrooms. They are more green in person. Like a kelly green, but they photograph blue. I got something easy for now. The only corals in this tank will be Ricordea FL and mushrooms. Ric frags sell for pretty cheap here, so I'll build it one coral at a time. :)

b5e28cfc.jpg

9cdac0c1.jpg

Blue-legged hermits on the Haitian rock.

32b8d1ba.jpg

65f5bf68.jpg

Another view of the mushrooms. It's a decent sized rock too.

a210a427.jpg

FTS, this tank's still kind of dirty. The Nassarius aren't cutting it. I'll have to get in there and remove the diatoms myself. Or get the macros in there soon. I just need to get paid before I add the macros.

142b2dad.jpg

Thanks for looking.

llj

Florida Fighting Conch will make that sand sparkle (plus stay in your biotope!)

There was a reason why they got shot down. I know, one would be ideal. Something about either the seagrass or the macros, or that they got too big. Not sure. I'd have to look back. But I remember considering one in the beginning for just this.

• 2 weeks later...
Those mushrooms look like a Pacific Actinodiscus..............

Really? Ok... Will go slap their mug in the id forum soon & get confirmation. They can go to another tank if they are a Pacific species... Thanks for the head's up. :)

Really? Ok... Will go slap their mug in the id forum soon & get confirmation. They can go to another tank if they are a Pacific species... Thanks for the head's up. :)

Check out coral morphologic for Caribbean soft corals if you haven't already.

• 1 month later...

Time for an update...

An understatement for sure! :lol:

I had a string of performances in October (classical singer) and I really couldn't focus on my music and post here like I was before. So I took a big break. I'm kind of back. I have a lull in the performances and wanted to let you know that I was still playing around with my tanks. I missed NR. Still need to take a long weekend and catch up with all the other journals.

The mushrooms are doing very well in the 8g. The frogspawn isn't a Caribbean species, but I'll be sending that to a friend in the next few weeks. I got a friend that likes Euphyllia species, hard bad. ;)

I don't have the CUC I need for this tank. The crabs didn't kill the asterea like I thought it did, but they did kill my ceriths. I need to basically keep the blue-legs and swap out everything else to other tanks. John Maloney, if you are out there, I promise I'll be ordering soooooon! The perpertual ordering soon... I have a little bit of monies now.

I got some serious cyano bacteria and diatoms.

142b2dad.jpg

The stuff got everywhere when I cleaned the class. Hahaha, but my army of blue-legs earned their keep and ate the cyano. Good blue legs.

4cd85f17.jpg

You see that critter keeper in the corner? That's Mr. Spineypant's humble abode. He's still kicking. He's doubled in size and has re-grown his spines. Unfortunately, I can't release him back to the tank. I see a pest tank in the future...

b06d7bd3.jpg

4cd85f17.jpg

Ok... So I go to the LFS one day (A new one, just opened), and I see a mated pair of Yellow-headed jawfish! They were not part of the original stocking plan, but this pair just looked so healthy. Here's some video of them in the LFS.

th_d7dfc8ea.jpg

I have the deep sand bed that they prefer. They are colonial and my tank was too small for a group unless I had a mated pair. I never saw a mated pair at any prior lfs, so I had scratched them off my stock list. They are notorious jumpers, so good that I also have a lid. See, what I have to do to acclimate?

081ebbb7.jpg

The female's larger, she drove the male away temporarily while she began to dig out the couple's burrow. Very glad actually that I didn't plant the tank yet, as she made a total mess. Also glad I didn't have much with regard to corals (just the frogspawn, and a mini colony of Ricordea florida).

Her digging...

afb24b98.jpg

She invited the male back and here are the two in their new home. The burrow's in the front right of the tank. I got lucky! Woohoo!!!

c1e8556a.jpg

Some video...

th_1ff406bc.jpg

Wow, that was a long update, and that's not even the tank that went through the most changes. Wait til you get to my picos. That'll be insane. I'll upload more video of the jawfish tonight. I'm fascinated by this species.

L

Looking good. Have you decided what kind of sea grass your going to use?

Sorry for the delay in response. I was at work.

Shoal grass is I think what I'll go with. The goal today is to visit John Maloney at Reefcleaners and get me Florida/Caribbean CUC. Right now, it's a bit of a mixed batch and I don't quite know what I have and I want to be sure, if this will indeed be a biotope. The only species I know for sure are my blue-legged hermits and they get to stay.

L

More videos...

His and her burrows. You can barely see them, but they are coming out a lot more now. Eating well too.

th_e25d5c41.jpg

Her bachelorette pad...

th_61da8f2f.jpg

I just want to point something out, though. These are not fish for every system. They require deep sand beds and a tank with a tight lid as they are great jumpers. They will make a mess of your sand and rock work, so if you want a tank where you are the only one who aquascapes, these aren't your fish, as beautiful as they are. I just happened to have the requirements that they need.

L

Very cool fish, llj =0)

Thanks, Peter. This tank is finally taking shape.

I have finally placed two important orders...

1. Reefcleaners - Ordered a CUC that is exclusively Caribbean

20 dwarf ceriths

7 Nassarius vibex

8 Florida ceriths

4 large nerites

5 medium nerites

2 Fuzzy chitons

6 virgin nerites

2 porcelain crabs

What will happen is that the snails from the CUC I currently have will be moved to other tanks, which could use more CUC anyways. Any extras will be put in other tanks.

2. Gulf Coast Ecosystems - Ordered macro algae and shoal grass

2 orders of Halimeda opuntia

2 orders of Halodule wrightii (shoal grass)

The biotope is taking shape. I also have epoxy, so I'll begin attaching corals to the rock work. I have a lovely Ricordea Florida mini colony that needs to be mounted. Jawfish are doing well, making a huge mess, but doing well. Can't wait to add the chalk bass.

L

L

Are you considering a small harem of dwarf angels? That would be a awesome.

Nope, going for a small shoal of serranus tortugarum (chalk bass).

The Moment of Truth... Plants arrived (11/16/2011)

My package from Gulf Coast Ecosystems arrived yesterday. I'll admit, I was pleased with the packaging. Very heavy package, but you can see why...

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

The plants were fully submerged and packed in water, then placed in a styrofoam box with insulation. Excellent packing.

I ordered...

2 orders of Halimeda opuntia

2 orders of Halodule wrightii (shoal grass)

But it seems I also got a Halimeda discoidea as well. No problem, still received plenty of H. opuntia. I've got spare plants too. May post them for swap or sale if I can't find a place for them. Here are the plants out of the packaging...

Halimeda opuntia

IMG_2018.jpg

Halodule wrightii

IMG_2016.jpg

OMG! Water in the bags stunk like High Heaven! Thought I was gonna puke. :sick: But, it smelled just like the Gulf Coast, so it's great to have such local plants. The plants themselves did not smell, so I know it wasn't the plants, just that lovely Gulf Coast water with all that organic content. Yum!

So, I basically treated the H. opuntia like anubias and attached them to the rock work, which is consistent with how I see it growing in photographs. The Shoal grass was treated with a lot of care. I separated it into individual rhizomes and plants, ala Eleocharis or Lilaeopsis species and planted individually and spaced them for spread. Took forever and was very difficult as I had to keep an eye out for my Jawfish, which are accomplished jumpers. This is the initial planting. I may, again, tweak this a bit. Forgive my algae and cyano, I've got a larger Caribbean CUC coming today. :)

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

Under actinics...

IMG_2046.jpg

I'm so excited, you have no idea. I think I managed to create a working biotope that caters to the needs of its inhabitants and yet still create an aesthetic aquascape. Again, I've got to tweak things, but I'm very proud right now. It looks like a planted tank, but it keeps with Marine principles. I'm very happy I resisted the urge to "collect" species. I only have three species. I'm also glad I resisted red macro algae. I think there is plenty of red and purples with the Haitian rock. Now I just need the chalk bass and a cleaner shrimp species.

Getting the grass to grow is going to be a challenge, I've got enough light, I just have to cater to its needs. I don't need break neck growth, just need to maintain it.

Sooooooooo excited. This took forever to realize. Thanks for looking.

L

Archived