Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pearls of the Antilles...

lljdma06

sounds like an awesome biotype.

I am following

Gee, I hope so. :lol: I picked a doozy of a tank for a first SW. Keeping my fingers crossed and thanks for following. :)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome thread :) Coming along nicely I see!!!

It's getting there. I'm very lazy, though and still have a lot of work to do, if I'm going to have LR in the tank by the time the fall semester starts. I saw your tank and commented. Pretty sweet! Very clear and beautiful colors! Mine will look very lack-luster by comparison.

Wow, a lot of Floridians here.

Liz

It's getting there. I'm very lazy, though and still have a lot of work to do, if I'm going to have LR in the tank by the time the fall semester starts. I saw your tank and commented. Pretty sweet! Very clear and beautiful colors! Mine will look very lack-luster by comparison.

Wow, a lot of Floridians here.

Liz

Thank you for the compliments. I'm sure yours will be very nice as well! I can't wait to see the outcome.

Yeah, the fall semester is coming up. You better start to hurry, lol.

Thank you for the compliments. I'm sure yours will be very nice as well! I can't wait to see the outcome.

Yeah, the fall semester is coming up. You better start to hurry, lol.

I can't wait either. The RO has me scared and actually, I'm trying to figure out exactly where I want the tank. I had it in a Florida room, but I really want to enjoy the tank and I never go in that room.

I don't much go in my bedroom once the Fall semester starts either Hahahaha! It may well be in a living area. It's a corner bow too, so I'm pretty limited as to wear I can put it.

Liz

I can't wait either. The RO has me scared and actually, I'm trying to figure out exactly where I want the tank. I had it in a Florida room, but I really want to enjoy the tank and I never go in that room.

I don't much go in my bedroom once the Fall semester starts either Hahahaha! It may well be in a living area. It's a corner bow too, so I'm pretty limited as to wear I can put it.

Liz

Haha, the RO is no big deal. It just makes better water from bad water :happy:

Corners look nice in the living room if you can swing it!

Haha, the RO is no big deal. It just makes better water from bad water :happy:

Corners look nice in the living room if you can swing it!

I know it's not a big deal, I'm just scared to hook it up. I'm no plummer!

If I clean up the FL room, it'll look nice there too. I'll see.

Liz

It's simple :) Just connect to a threaded socket and voila.

It would look nice in a Florida room, but be careful where it goes! If it gets too much natural sunlight, it will end up causing more algae problems.

It's simple :) Just connect to a threaded socket and voila.

And see, you lost me there... :lol:

It would look nice in a Florida room, but be careful where it goes! If it gets too much natural sunlight, it will end up causing more algae problems.

The FL room is walled, not a lot of windows. That's where it currently is as a FW tank. I have to mull it over. There are advantages and disadvantages to each location.

Liz

Monochrome5
What is a Florida room? :huh:

She lives on a boat anchored off the coast. The "Florida room" is the rear most room of the boat that occasionally swings into Florida territorial waters during strong currents.

What is a Florida room? :huh:

Ah, my poor Alaskan, I shall explain. :lol: In the rear of many Floridian homes there's usually a covered terrace. A first home improvement for many Florida home owners is to convert that covered terrace to an actual enclosed room. Some feature mostly glass windows and are very airy. Mine is an actual room with more wall work.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6673530_florida-screen-room_.html

She lives on a boat anchored off the coast. The "Florida room" is the rear most room of the boat that occasionally swings into Florida territorial waters during strong currents.

I wish! Sounds like fun. Is that for real or are you joking?

FYI, I live in a house in West Kendall, far less exciting. I do have a pool, though.

Hey! My first spam posts in my thread! Awesome! Soon I shall have as much spam as Yoshii. :lol:

Liz

Monochrome5
I wish! Sounds like fun. Is that for real or are you joking?

A joke, my dear. Remember that package I sent to your house? Wasn't addressed to "Middle of the Ocean" ;)

A joke, my dear. Remember that package I sent to your house? Wasn't addressed to "Middle of the Ocean" ;)

I know. But I thought perhaps it was an odd boating thing that I didn't know about. Boaters use strange terms for things.

Oh, btw, I need you to PM me your address, I had to reuse the box to ship plants to someone else and then my mom threw away the paper that had your address. Bleh... Moms and their cleaning...

While I'm working on the RO/DI unit over the weekend, I'll be draining the FW from the tank and cleaning it. In the meantime, I'll post an edited stock list here. You'll see that it's gotten smaller, except the crabs, that list got bigger because of some really cool suggestions. :lol:

I'm obssessed with crabs. I bet you guys really have fun with the word play when you're discussing crabs in this forum. I'm yet to be able to discuss crabs without a smirk on my face.

Liz

I didn't do anything I was supposed to do. I stink. But...

Yesterday I went to Home Depot to look into some lighting timers and power strips for the electrical hardware. I need the following with regard to outlets.

3 for lighting (each on a separate timer, for a stagger dawn/dusk effect)(2 grounded, 1 polarized)

2 for Koralia nanos (polarized)

1 for the Skimmer (polarized)

1 for a heater (polarized)

1 moonlight

1 red night critter light

Powerstrips

So 9 outlets, but to have more is fine, especially for emergencies or incase I have to add more circulation. With the salt corrosion, I like the idea of a covered power strip like this. It also has ample space for timers, and these can be mounted above the floor or in the cabinet of the tank as I don't have a sump taking up space there.

40b38a5b.jpg

53f837df.jpg

I can also go for a more rugged type of strip. This is for workshop use.

48085919.jpg

Timers

I like how this accomodates two grounded, and it's digital, but I'm wondering if I can set each plug individually, or do both plugs have to run on the same timer? Package did not say, which was kind of frustrating.

ce9ef6c2.jpg

If they don't run separately, there are smaller ones that just have one plug.

I can also go with non-digital, which honestly at half the price, it's not a bad option. I've been working with non-digital timers for years and no ill effect. I don't care as long as they work.

dfd52958.jpg

I need to get a move on with this system. The Fall Semester's fast approaching and I won't have the time I have now.

Thanks for looking and thanks for your help. :)

Liz

I know. But I thought perhaps it was an odd boating thing that I didn't know about. Boaters use strange terms for things.

Oh, btw, I need you to PM me your address, I had to reuse the box to ship plants to someone else and then my mom threw away the paper that had your address. Bleh... Moms and their cleaning...

While I'm working on the RO/DI unit over the weekend, I'll be draining the FW from the tank and cleaning it. In the meantime, I'll post an edited stock list here. You'll see that it's gotten smaller, except the crabs, that list got bigger because of some really cool suggestions. :lol:

I'm obssessed with crabs. I bet you guys really have fun with the word play when you're discussing crabs in this forum. I'm yet to be able to discuss crabs without a smirk on my face.

Liz

What kind of crabs do you want?

220px-Pthius_pubis_-_crab_louse.jpg

These aren't reef safe!

3 for lighting (each on a separate timer, for a stagger dawn/dusk effect)(2 grounded, 1 polarized)

2 for Koralia nanos (polarized)

1 for the Skimmer (polarized)

1 for a heater (polarized)

1 moonlight

1 red night critter light

A lot of stuff! Just get a bigger surge protector, it doesn't need to be fancy. But make sure it accommodates more outlets than you need. You'll end up adding stuff and running out if you don't. You don't to be one of those people who daisy chain surge protectors :happy:

Digital timers are nice and precise, but if you don't care to the second what time your lights come on/off they aren't really necessary. It's really up to you on that one. No idea if those timers can individually control each of the two outlets, but for some reason I doubt it.

Monochrome5

Don't do digital timers!! The majority of them are battery powered (the digital part is). The battery dies (it's just a watch battery) and the entire strip goes dead, which can be a pain in the butt when you're out somewhere and come home to a dead tank.

you are making a mountain out of a molehill. just get a cheapo 6 outlet strip and a 10$ timer from petsmart. done :D

you are making a mountain out of a molehill. just get a cheapo 6 outlet strip and a 10$ timer from petsmart. done :D

I completely agree that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. Need more than 6 outlets though. :lol:

This is a great forum, somebody posted on my RO/DI unit thread. I was treated like I was five in a positive and constructive manner that made me feel much better about being an utter moron. :D

Lissette; I hate Liz, but a person in another forum started calling me Liz and it stuck, so now I use it. Must break the nasty habit.

Have you looked into something like a coralife timer? That is what i am using anyways

I saw them, but they are expensive, and I'm a bit leery of these all in one timers.

Well, I received another great package from Monochrome5 today in the mail...

Tubing for drip acclimation

b194ecde.jpg

Chemical for dosing

c4761fbb.jpg

And a very large powerhead for airing out the SW for waterchanges.

4b3f05c1.jpg

I'm in the process of cleaning the house as I'm renting a room this year to a graduate student in the school of music. I found these. My cat, Buckwheat, had to take insulin after a severe urinary tract infection played around with his kidneys. He's fine now, but I have leftover syringes.

95ac1eb2.jpg

You may ask what I can use these for. They are great for Target feeding corals and also killing aptasia anemonies with Lemon juice or Joe's juice. Thanks for looking. :)

That Monochrome is such a nice guy ;)

Glad the package got there safely.

He IS... Wait til you get my package. :D It's big...

Archived