ReefCleaners.org

March's 15g. Taking the tank down

Reef Casa

Ok I'm getting rid of the %$#^&* #%@#$*& Magenta Dottyback

I never knew they could be so aggressive! shes a monster

That suck dude, tank looks great though!

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw on the TOTM thread I have had quite a few nominations in the last couple months

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone - its a really nice gesture / compliment

I should have an update tomorrow

I have changed the lights around a bit finally! :)

Be patient it will come.

Hey thanks Jay - yea maybe one day, we will see ,this tank is still very much a work in progress

Here are some new photos

Enjoy!!

First off Im considering bare bottom - here is a test shot. Please ignore the low water level lol had to suck up all the sand

barebottomtest.jpg

also I moved the light posts so it doesn't look my tank is in jail. Im thinking about moving the third one behind there to and just making it stretch over the top

nomorejail.jpg

Like Jay my duncans are growing like nuts!

Dunacns.jpg

My red / orange acans are doing much better than before - actually starting to grow little heads

left now --> right before

acancomparison.jpg

Top down with high flow - looks like an oil panting to me

topdownpicaso.jpg

One more top down no flow

topdown03-12-11.jpg

sand is getting so hard to keep clean!! I think I like it better too and will prob just put it back but it was fun to see it this way and also I really needed a complete change so much **** building up under / around rocks

SouthFlorida_Tron

Still looks hawt but sand :rant:

Edit: perfect time to change to something easier to keep clean, such as the pcial grade, just tried vs before having oolite, and wow :)

Top down with high flow - looks like an oil panting to me

topdownpicaso.jpg

That is a really cool picture!

The bare bottom has some appeal it makes everything pop a bit. However, I can't imagine it's any easier to clean. It would need to be scrubbed like any other bare glass and getting in tight around your rock work would not be fun.

Hmm I've been wanting to remove most of the sand from one of my picos .. but was concerned it would cause a cycle? No concern with that??

I think sand looks better also, at least a thin layer.

if you have a super thin sand bed like marcelo I wouldnt worry about it. if it's a little deeper and very established then I would probably give it some thought

+1 on keeping the sand. Your tank looks good either way, but I'm always a fan of tanks with a sandbed. It just looks more natural.

Your tank might actually look pretty cool with some of that black sand. Very few tanks could pull it off, but I think yours definitely could. :)

w0w thanks for all the response to the sand bed

I wasn't expecting so many

"Sand in an aquarium is about as natural as a box of water in your living room with fish in it"

I loved that comment

I think I will prob add sand again - I like the look better as well.

I only like keeping a sand bed if its retarded white though

algae, dots, poop etc drive me nuts

On another note I picked up 5 new sps frags today from a local reefer!!

(instead of studying for my final at 6 )

I'll post photos later on

It's totally personal preference.

It's darn near a Mac vs. PC argument.

I just love when people say it looks more natural.

I suppose...lol. Natural being a reef in your house.

:rolleyes:

I'll vote BB, even though the aesthetics of sand is quite nice. Algae build-up on the bottom pane of glass is pretty minimum if you have the right sized CUC.

How did you mount the Par38's by the way? I saw you're using the Ikea lamp, but did you not use the base? I've been debating getting rid of mine for a custom led fixture, or adding a 3rd bulb. I would love to mount them similar to yours though so I can get rid of my hideous desk clamp fixtures.

How did you mount the Par38's by the way? I would love to mount them similar to yours though so I can get rid of my hideous desk clamp fixtures.

Hey Pak

The fixture from ikea separates with a piece of threaded metal right in the middle

I don't use the base at all

I take apart the two pieces ( just unscrew them) and only use the upper portion that has the bendable part / socket/ everything useful

I then drill a hole just large enough into the back of my stand (its made of wood) and shove the threaded metal in. I make a hole small enough so that it barly fits ( 3/8'' inch I believe)

I twist and push the metal down as hard as I can and it essentially threads itself into the hole

I secure it underneath the stand with a washer and a bolt

Let me know if that makes sense or if there is anything else I can clarify

Here a photo from behind

IMG_9921.jpg

Thanks for posting up how you mounted the fixtures! I sent you a PM as well.

No prob! always happy to help out

The evil dottyback jumped!!

It happened during a water change I came back to the tank and found her on the floor

She could have been there for 30 seconds or maybe 10-15 minutes

I quickly threw her back in the tank and it kind of sunk to the bottom and went into her regular hiding place

I thought I hated her b/c she is so damn aggressive / evil but now that I might lose her I feel so bad! I never wanted it to end this way I was going to give her to my girlfriend

Couple of new pieces from a local reefer

Also sold three pieces today

my first birds nest!!

1stbirdsnest.jpg

not sure what this is called

sps1.jpg

Or this one

sps2.jpg

Hey! sorry to bother you I just had a few quick questions.

1. I have a 20 gallon long in the making 6 months cycling for sps i have two par 38 bulbs and a 25 inch t5 fixture over the tank about a foot off the water do you think this will be enough lighting for sps?

2. You coral colors are awesome, what do you dose?

3. where do you get your corals.

Thank you some much, By the way awesome tank!

ps: what bulbs are you using

Archived