Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pak's 7.5g Rimless Cube

SnakPak

Thanks Chipp! I was browsing your LED fixture design thread the other day. You have some serious skills, and inspired me to start designing some stuff for my tank. Those 3D printing links you provided are awesome!

So it's decision time. My par38 bulbs are officially sold and will be going out the door tomorrow. I need to make a decision on lights asap!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Chipp! I was browsing your LED fixture design thread the other day. You have some serious skills, and inspired me to start designing some stuff for my tank. Those 3D printing links you provided are awesome!

So it's decision time. My par38 bulbs are officially sold and will be going out the door tomorrow. I need to make a decision on lights asap!

I look forward to what you finally end up with.

whats your decision on the lights?!?

I've made it, but I will wait to show with pictures. :D

I look forward to what you finally end up with.

Thanks! It's going to be a completely different tank, at least if what I envision in my head comes out the way I want.

Did you sump your old cube?

You know it! I am extremely limited on space in the cabinet under the tank, so the cube made perfect sense since I still had it sitting around. While not the most elegant sump design, it should work very well for what I'm trying to accomplish. I have to thank Mr. Microscope though for his sump design. I took his design, modified it for my use and ran with it.

Looks great! Can't wait to see the light pics.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting them. It's amazing how dim regular incandescent bulbs are compared to our reef lighting. I've got them over the tank right now as temporary lights. Yick!

You have some amazing tanks man! Very nice work.

Inspirational!

Wow, thank you for the kind words! I'm hoping that this will be the start of an amazing tank journey, something that I can truly be proud of. My previous tanks and this tank have all been enjoyable, but I've always felt that I was missing something. That panache so to speak.

With that, I'll reveal a little bit of what is to come.

2012-02-01_23-25-11_339.jpg

LOL can't believe you through down a Panache on NR. Your tanks have always been incredible I think the 60F was always missing something but the cube was beautiful. Cant wait to see where your going with this now!

Crappy photos with my cell camera, but here's a few more. Running tap water for the time being to check for leaks and make sure everything is good with the system. I do have one very small leak coming from the threads on the bulkhead of the overflow box. I can't for the life of me get it to stop. I've re-done the fitting 3 times and I've only slowed it. I might just try to put some putty in there and see if that works, or just leave it and see if the eventual build-up of salt residue will block it.

2012-02-05_12-46-07_284.jpg

2012-02-05_12-46-25_81.jpg

How did the drilling process go? I bought an ADA 60H in November and it has been sitting empty in my basement. I have not been able to work up the nerve to drill it yet.

How did the drilling process go? I bought an ADA 60H in November and it has been sitting empty in my basement. I have not been able to work up the nerve to drill it yet.

It was nerve racking at first. I was scared to death that I was going to crack the glass when I first started drilling. Once I got a groove going on the first hole, it was super easy. It's horrific sounding, but you just have to let the drill bit do the work. Each hole took a couple minutes, but once I got that first hole done it was like, well that wasn't so bad. I wouldn't hesitate to do it. If you take your time it'll be cake.

It was nerve racking at first. I was scared to death that I was going to crack the glass when I first started drilling. Once I got a groove going on the first hole, it was super easy. It's horrific sounding, but you just have to let the drill bit do the work. Each hole took a couple minutes, but once I got that first hole done it was like, well that wasn't so bad. I wouldn't hesitate to do it. If you take your time it'll be cake.

Did you just use the drill bit from glass-holes?

Did you just use the drill bit from glass-holes?

Yes, worked like a charm. Probably could do a couple more, so I kept them just for down the road use.

A little more reveal...

DSC03129-2.jpg

DSC03131-2.jpg

Yes, worked like a charm. Probably could do a couple more, so I kept them just for down the road use.

A little more reveal...

DSC03129-2.jpg

DSC03131-2.jpg

Boy - thats lit.. which one did you decide to go with? - I could've gone a similar route but I found enough dough and a deal to scrap together a few more par38s... so now I'll have 3 over my ada 60f... I'm going to stick it out for the long haul . . but I'm with you on the limits of dimming capabilities and adjusting new pieces to your tank. I kind of gave up on sps for the moment because they were bleaching no matter what.. I'm just letting the reef grow in with the rest of what I have for a few months ..

good luck with the new lighting, I'll be checking for updates as you test it out lol ..

Nice job on the sump too, definitely the way to go (how big is your sump btw?)

Boy - thats lit.. which one did you decide to go with? - I could've gone a similar route but I found enough dough and a deal to scrap together a few more par38s... so now I'll have 3 over my ada 60f... I'm going to stick it out for the long haul . . but I'm with you on the limits of dimming capabilities and adjusting new pieces to your tank. I kind of gave up on sps for the moment because they were bleaching no matter what.. I'm just letting the reef grow in with the rest of what I have for a few months ..

good luck with the new lighting, I'll be checking for updates as you test it out lol ..

Nice job on the sump too, definitely the way to go (how big is your sump btw?)

Yeah, and that wasn't at full intensity either if I remember correctly. Honestly, this light is so awesome. It's the AI Sol Blue. I love the ability to dial in my own color. I haven't messed with it too much other than setting up my timing schedules, but so far I love it. I haven't been able to keep SPS either, so I'm hoping this new setup will let me dabble into it more.

Thanks, I'll have to get pics of the sump up once it's all tidied up. The wires are bundled, but it's still not organized enough to my liking yet. It's my previous Mr. Aqua 7.5gal. I probably have about 4-4.5 gallons in it right now.

Seano Hermano

WoW, beautiful looking tank, PakRX8! Geat work!

The AI Sol is a great fixture. Though I like the look of the two desk lamps with the par30s. It really had that minimalist look with just the essentials of an aquarium (lamp, display, corals). It was cute. :)

Wow... looks awesome. I sometimes wish I went with the Sol but it was too much at the time. Can't wait to see what your gonna do next.

WoW, beautiful looking tank, PakRX8! Geat work!

The AI Sol is a great fixture. Though I like the look of the two desk lamps with the par30s. It really had that minimalist look with just the essentials of an aquarium (lamp, display, corals). It was cute. :)

Thanks! I think this setup is a lot cleaner. Without the lamp fixtures there, its just so much more aesthetically pleasing. But thanks!

Wow... looks awesome. I sometimes wish I went with the Sol but it was too much at the time. Can't wait to see what your gonna do next.

Thank Jay! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your build too. So far I'm really happy with my decision on this light. I still have yet to see anything opened up underneath it though.

show me that scape u teased us with naooow!

Haha, it's coming! I should have taken another teaser shot yesterday with some of the layout, but I was so ready to relax after spending the last 2 days working on it that I decided to hold off. Hopefully tonight everything will be opened up nicely and I'll be able to snag a few shots to post up though!

Archived