inTank Media Baskets

Pak's 7.5g Rimless Cube

SnakPak

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It dosnt scare you about scratching the bottom of the tank? Most people use like a protective layer uner the rock so not to damage the tank.

I think it looks amazing. Love the scape, which is hard to do in such a tight shaped tank.

lookin awesome here pak. Your'e making the bb look grow on me. also what kind of suby do you drive? I just purchased myself a brand new 2011wrx. I love it!

It dosnt scare you about scratching the bottom of the tank? Most people use like a protective layer uner the rock so not to damage the tank.

I think it looks amazing. Love the scape, which is hard to do in such a tight shaped tank.

It worries me a little bit, but I've always made sure that the live rock contacted the bottom of the tank versus sitting on the sand. There are some scratches here and there from shifting the rocks around during re-scapes, but it's not something that you'll ever really notice.

Thanks though!

lookin awesome here pak. Your'e making the bb look grow on me. also what kind of suby do you drive? I just purchased myself a brand new 2011wrx. I love it!

I think I answered you in the pico thread, but I've got a 2008 STi. Love it! Owning a suby opened my eyes to a whole new car community. It's amazing how much more receptive Subaru owners are to each other versus other car brands. I think it's awesome. I love the 2011's too. I contemplated getting a 2011 WRX before I bought the 2008.

• 2 months later...

It's been way too long since I updated this thread. I'm considering making some very large changes and wanted to get the forums opinion.

Lights: I really am growing tired of the spot-light effect of the Par38's. Not to mention I don't think they are the best at allowing coral placement. I miss the growth I was getting with my MH's and I think the color was much better as well. Considering going back to a MH setup. Thoughts?

Sump: Ah...to sump or not to sump. It's been waging war in my head on and off for many months. My original goal was to keep this tank as simple as possible. Just your standard HOB filter and my trusty MP10 for flow. I'm really considering adding a sump though. Not only for increased water volume, but so that I can move equipment out of the display and get the benefit of more live rock. Down the road I would like to add a protein skimmer too, since my dabbles into SPS have not panned out well without one. So do I sump it?

I'm building a sump on my 60-f right now. However, I haven't added water to the tank yet, so its easier for me to sump it. You'd obviously have to transfer everything to another tank for the time being while you drilled it unless you did an HOB overflow.

I think its a good idea for the tank down the road. More water volume and filtration options are opened without the added clutter of the display. That tank is supposed to look as clean as a peeled egg.

I got par30's for my 60-f lined up as well. I'm skeptical however about the look of them. I've had one over my 10 gallon for sometime, but I think it doesn't look very natural in terms of color (too purple) and intensity. However, I do like the shimmer effect and also the fact that they are good for many years. I don't have to buy an expensive replacement MH bulb every so often.

This photo almost looks like you drained the tank the way the water is glistening off everything. What color/temp Par38's do you have?

Birdsnest%202011-8-28.jpg

Don't think I will drill this tank. I was thinking more of an HOB overflow. I would love to do the MAME, but the cost is insane.

That picture is with the water below the rock. I was in the middle of a water change, and the top of that rock gets exposed each time. I know it's not good for the corals, but they haven't shown any signs of stress from the minimal amount of time that they get exposed each water change.

don't think it should be a problem - a lot of coral in the wild (acropora, zoanthids) get exposed out of the water during tide changes for long periods of time, often baking in the sun from pics I've seen.

anymore thoughts on the lighting situation?

Still not sure what I want to do with lights. Right now adding a sump is probably a higher priority. It will allow me to get most of the equipment out of the display and setup my ATO. I never really found a good container for the ATO that would pressurize very well. This way I can ATO with lime-water, as I know my alk has been low for some time and I've never really taken steps to bring it back up. Frequent water changes definitely did the trick, but I've been on 2-3 week intervals right now between my changes. That's mainly due to my laziness.

I think what I'll do is get a 10gal AGA, partition it as I need to, and then put some additional live rock in there and let that cycle for however long it needs to with the display tank water from water changes. Then I'll get the HOB overflow and connect the two systems together. I would hope this wouldn't cause any issues with the display tank and my existing corals. After that I'll start thinking about lighting, but I don't think that will change until sometime next year as I want to see the changes adding a sump will bring.

Now I'm starting to have second thoughts about a HOB overflow. It seems like the eshopps nano overflow hasn't been received very favorably amongst my findings. I'm just worried about drilling. If I break this tank, I'll be super ticked. Not to mention I don't know if I want to take the tank down completely to drill it, though it wouldn't be that difficult to remove everything.

Now I'm starting to have second thoughts about a HOB overflow. It seems like the eshopps nano overflow hasn't been received very favorably amongst my findings. I'm just worried about drilling. If I break this tank, I'll be super ticked. Not to mention I don't know if I want to take the tank down completely to drill it, though it wouldn't be that difficult to remove everything.

http://www.glass-holes.com/main.sc

It's the best option don't avoid it. LOL. I'm having a tank built and I'm contemplating to drill or not but my dilemma is I don't have much space for a sump with my current stand.

http://www.glass-holes.com/main.sc

It's the best option don't avoid it. LOL. I'm having a tank built and I'm contemplating to drill or not but my dilemma is I don't have much space for a sump with my current stand.

I share the same dilemma. I think a 10g AGA is going to be a very tight squeeze under my stand. I'll have to take some measurements first before I even think about purchasing anything for an overflow. But I think I'm pretty well convinced to drill. I just don't want to cause a mini cycle by moving stuff around too much, not that I've caused one before with my tank switches.

Increasing your system volume and hiding equipment is always beneficial, it just comes down to if you think it's worth it or not.

Having transferred tanks and going from AC fuge to sump and protein skimmer, I like the sump and protein skimmer much better.

There are plans in the DIY section for a MAME overflow you might want to check out.

Also, great tank man! I don't normally like BB Tanks but this one is tops.

There are plans in the DIY section for a MAME overflow you might want to check out.

Also, great tank man! I don't normally like BB Tanks but this one is tops.

Thanks! I ordered my glass holes overflow kit and return kit today! Decided to keep it clean and not have anything hanging off the back of the display tank, even if it means I only get a 5 gallon sump or so. Now I just have to decide what return pump I want to use. I've been looking at the Eheim's, just debating between the 1250 or the Compact+

I love the pic's....

But, please put spaces in between yer pic's, or I might throw up next time. :D

Haha, no problem. I think that's the first time I've ever seen a space between picture request.

• 3 weeks later...

nvm the PM i just sent you about flow

I noticed you have an mp10 = more than enough flow

"I do agree though, shooting pics of the tank under the Par38s is nearly impossible. "

+1 !

You pull of barebottom very well on this

Thanks Hype and Marc. The pics came out a little bluer than what they really look like, but I didn't feel like editing them too much. I'm hoping to do some clean-up of the tank over Christmas break, which will hopefully include drilling the tank and installing the overflow kit from gl#######s. Right now I've got a lot of excess rock in there, which is why I didn't post a FTS.

Archived