Top Shelf Aquatics

Zer0's 25G Trimless LED Cube

Zer0

Picture Update. Took more pictures with the iPhone. Never again though as far as room light goes. Bad lighting = crappy pictures. I'll just use my other camera for now since it's better then the iPhone's camera in low-light situations. But this'll do for tonight.

So, I had to get a reducer because I couldn't find any hose locally that would fit the regular fitting. Worked out fine though.

img0119la.jpg

Then used me some clear hose. Got clear this time around so I can see if there are any clogs. Last time my drain got clogged and i couldn't see a darn thing because it was black hose.

img0115nok.jpg

Plumbing done:

img0149nn.jpg

Now presenting, the tank in it's final location! ** I pushed the airline tubing farther in to the elbow so it doesn't stick out like that anymore

img0141pp.jpg

img0146sx.jpg

This message was brought to you by sink cat.

img0132i.jpg

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guh. I'm jealous of your purdy rimmless cube. It's gonna look amazing.

Hi sinkcat. I usually have to throw cats out of my sink in summer too.

Guh. I'm jealous of your purdy rimmless cube. It's gonna look amazing.

Hi sinkcat. I usually have to throw cats out of my sink in summer too.

Thanks Flake! :happy:

Yeah, I usually have to pull that little turd out of there every time I turn the faucet on because he just sits there and drinks the water while it gets all over him. What a loser.

:happy:

Nah I just put PVC cement on the hose and then shoved it in there lol. Both hoses were a snug fit in to their elbows. Should I have done something different? I think I could tear them out still if I have to but it's gonna be hard with the PVC cement being dry and all.

No, PVC cement bonds rigid PVC slip connections together (use of PVC primer beforehand is recommended). Use teflon tape on threaded PVC fittings. And use barbed fittings to secure flexible vinyl tubing to a rigid fitting (ff you are using the proper sizes, a hose clamp is all you need for a water tight connection). Use stainless hose clamps above water and plastic clamps below.

kitty!!!

Yus!

No, PVC cement bonds rigid PVC slip connections together (use of PVC primer beforehand is recommended). Use teflon tape on threaded PVC fittings. And use barbed fittings to secure flexible vinyl tubing to a rigid fitting (ff you are using the proper sizes, a hose clamp is all you need for a water tight connection). Use stainless hose clamps above water and plastic clamps below.

Alright seabass, i'll get right on that. Barbed hose fittings, stainless steel hose clamps, and then plastic clamps for return pump.

Now about the teflon tape.. I've always tried to use it.. but it just falls apart.. or never really sticks right. Some of it always stick out the the fittings and what not.

Edit*

I tried taking the hoses out of there fittings but I don't think they are going anywhere. That PVC cement really bonds stuff together.

Now about the teflon tape.. I've always tried to use it.. but it just falls apart.. or never really sticks right. Some of it always stick out the the fittings and what not.
Wrap it tightly (stretching it slightly as you go) around the threads. It won't stick until the second pass, so you have to hold the end of it until you overlap it (make three or four passes). Wrap it clockwise (looking at the fitting) so the other fitting doesn't pull up the end; and instead of cutting the end, stretch it (while wrapping it) until it breaks. That will keep it nice and tight. It's the easiest connection to make, and can be taken apart whenever you need to.

Awesome. But now how am I supposed to take the PVC'd fittings apart? They won't even budge. I already cemented them in there.. :/

:unsure: The cement melts the plastic together. Even if you can get them apart, you won't be able to reuse the fittings. You need new fittings (theaded and barbed) anyways, so you might just discard them. :(

Idk... i might just leave it how it is. If it's that strongly bonded then I don't see why I would have to take it apart and redo it. If it leaks when i water test the plumbing, then I'll cut everything out and use barbed fittings and what not.

Thanks wire. :)

Another pic. Got the light tree up. It's awesome and sits directly over the middle of the tank. I can raise it to 24" from the rim of the tank with no problems. Perfect for the light i'm getting. :ninja:

photodb.jpg

:)

AI Sol or Nano? :lol:

edit: now that I look at it that would be a bit large for just an Ai..

Tsk Tsk! Secret Secret! :lol:

where did you get that light tree ive been looking for one for so long :angry: i need a link

Haha got to build it yourself broski. The idea came from VicSkimmr. So I call it the VicSkimmr light tree. :lol:

It consists of 1/2" EMT Conduit. That's it. lol. Just gota get the conduit bender which is like 30 bucks. You need hardware to clamp it to the stand, but that stuff is like $1.50. It's a great idea and I'm extremely happy I found out how to do it.

I will say though, get multiple lengths of the EMT piping. It only costs $1.50 for 10ft, but you WILL screw up the bends more than once. That pipe you see attached to my stand was the 4th one that I bent. The previous 3 were really f'ed up.

Sump is going to be shipped tomorrow! omgomgomg

I saw pictures of it and it looks amazing! Pics for all once it arrives!!!

ReefOne!

Archived